tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 31 May 2020 - 11:16 AM

Posted Image

Does anyone know if it's terminal labeled 1 or terminal labeled 2 that is the output of the reed switch going to the cruise module?

#2 mikec

mikec

not around much any more

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts
  • Interests:Finish line at the Pikes Peak "Race to the Clouds"

Posted 31 May 2020 - 12:43 PM

Those are just easy points on the flexible circuit board to trace the switch.  #1 is a ground.  #2 is the output of the reed switch; the circuit board routes this wire to the yellow+white wire on B-23.  Thus, point #2 and the yellow+white wire should show continuity to ground 4 times per revolution of the speedometer cable.

The sensor itself is a little glass cylinder with tiny contacts inside it that flex and touch in the presence of a magnetic field; it is known as a "reed switch."  It's not that different from the sensors used in home alarm systems for windows for example and is commonly available.  The speedometer unit itself, including the magnet and reed switch, are Nippondenso parts and can be found on any number of 1970s-1980s vintage imports.  The reed switch and its mounting bracket and screws fit my '78 Corolla for example - I retrofitted a StarQuest cruise control to my Corolla many years ago.

mike c.

#3 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 01:45 PM

Thanks Mike.  I assumed output was point #2 due to the distance from switch.  I already traced these on the harness.  

My point #2 is a purple wire that is connected via a ring terminal to the harness.  Checked my 86 and a random cluster I have and all three are setup that way.

There is a trace running from point #2 to a small 3 pin connector, however none of my gauge sets have anything in that housing to connect to the pin

#4 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 08:15 PM

Mike, do you know if trigger would be rising or falling edge?

And do you know how many MPH 4 pulses is equal to?

Edited by tux, 02 June 2020 - 08:17 PM.

#5 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,533 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 07:11 PM

Works same as 1g eclipse it seems

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users