Are camber plates neccesary with Cosmo coilovers?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:55 PM

First, my car will only be driven around 1k miles per year. It is usually driven to the drag strip, and thats it...Maybe a few days to work, and maybe some cruising on my days off.

Now, I am currently installing some Cosmo coilovers, and I seen a few posts recommending camber plates. My car will be dropped around 1.5" I'm guessing.

I really don't know much about suspension. Do I really need to get these?

I see only Mookeeh offers these, and its $180(front) and $100(rear), so for $300 total...

With my car only being driven 1k miles per year, and only used for drag racing?  Do I really need these? I really just planned on getting an alignment done once I got the coilovers installed...

Thanks for any input...

Edited by Preludedude, 01 January 2017 - 08:58 PM.

#2 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts
  • Interests:400+ WHP 450+ WTQ!!... and curves with green eyes
  • Model:Starion

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:17 PM

I run the Cosmo setup at a similar drop. I don't run camber plates in the front and the drop gave me aprox -1.5° camber. I run the Mookeeh non adjustable plates in the rear and I also have about -1.5° in the rear.  Since I autocross a little negative camber is what I'm looking for. Long story short, do you need the plates? No, but it will definitely wear out the inside of the tires first.
One of these days I'd like to pick up plates so I can run a little more negative camber.
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Ebay To4E 57 Trim (in testing), P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods,AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016-17 SCCA Solo Glen Region Champion in Street Modified. Going for a 3-peat this year ;)
87 Valencia Gold TSI, The new Project
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#3 cryquest

cryquest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:18 AM

I ran the stock top hats with the cosmos for a little bit and the front springs would make a noise when I'd turn the steering wheel. Even though the stock top hats have a bearing on them for movement, the springs would I guess grind along the top or bottom perch for some reason. It made a nasty noise that went away when I installed the camber plates. I don't know remember if my stock top hats had a bad bearing but all I can say is that I have no more noise with the camber plates.

Edited by cryquest, 02 January 2017 - 02:20 AM.

Posted Image

#4 scott87star

scott87star

Technically Challenged, Daily.

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,889 posts
  • Interests:Freezing, thawing, thunderstorms and constant wind.

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:08 PM

I really just planned on getting an alignment done once I got the coilovers installed...

Toe is the only thing adjustable on these cars without camber plates, plus our toe is only adjustable on the drivers side, you'll just drive the tech insane if you show up.  There are lots of inexpensive ways to check/set toe.

You can run quite a bit of camber without causing excessive tire wear, you can't run your car too many miles with incorrect toe without trashing the tires.
Now selling true plug and play megasquirt!  Absolutely the best value in stand alone ECU's out there.

I can upgrade your Fuel Injection Pro firmware

Performance Coatings!  Pistons, manifolds, bearings and more!

Now a graduate of EFI University!  www.efi101.com

ECU Vendor link:  http://www.starquest...howtopic=137426

#5 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:23 AM

Got the springs installed today.  Going to take it for a drive tomorrow and see how it feels with the new kyb inserts in front and the Cosmo springs.

I wound up using the stock strut mounts which are worn, but I'll replace them one day....

With the Cosmo, I had to drill out the hole on the aluminum tophat that comes with the springs. The hole wasn't big enough to go over the strut itself...it was only big enough to go over the threaded tip of the strut....

I'll post back with driving results....

#6 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts
  • Interests:400+ WHP 450+ WTQ!!... and curves with green eyes

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:17 PM

View PostPreludedude, on 19 January 2017 - 12:23 AM, said:

With the Cosmo, I had to drill out the hole on the aluminum tophat that comes with the springs. The hole wasn't big enough to go over the strut itself...it was only big enough to go over the threaded tip of the strut....

Yep, that's normal.
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Ebay To4E 57 Trim (in testing), P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods,AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016-17 SCCA Solo Glen Region Champion in Street Modified. Going for a 3-peat this year ;)
87 Valencia Gold TSI, The new Project
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#7 clow340

clow340

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 10:48 PM

View Postscott87star, on 02 January 2017 - 03:08 PM, said:

Toe is the only thing adjustable on these cars without camber plates, plus our toe is only adjustable on the drivers side, you'll just drive the tech insane if you show up.  There are lots of inexpensive ways to check/set toe.

You can run quite a bit of camber without causing excessive tire wear, you can't run your car too many miles with incorrect toe without trashing the tires.

I don't mean to start anything but how is toe only adjusted on the drivers side?  I thought both sides adjust and can be adjusted equally? When I replaced a tie rod end on the passenger side I do remember only adjusting that side until things were aligned. Is that just what the manual says?

#8 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,544 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 27 January 2017 - 08:54 PM

Because the passenger side tie rods are bolted on, unlike the driver side that has an adjuster sleeve like most cars do.
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users