How To Install MR2 Inserts in your Starion

Hmmm... by saving the stock spring perches, you could actually reuse them and use stock springs still. You will just be about 2" lower and can use cheap GR-2 inserts ($43.95 from summitracing.com).

-Robert

Hmmm... by saving the stock spring perches, you could actually reuse them and use stock springs still. You will just be about 2" lower and can use cheap GR-2 inserts ($43.95 from summitracing.com).

-Robert

That would probably require skinnier wheels and tires for clearance then, hehe

But Very nice write-up. for the gland nuts on mine, I used the biggest channel locks I had, then hit the end with a mallet, this provided the force needed to break it loose.

Derek

Nice write-up and website, Zoom profile comes up page not found?

That video of your buddy's Aries is hilarious!

Thanks!! I got ZooM's profile working again, the internets is case sensitive.

Haha, I wish I was friends with Tim trying to sell his Aries... he's just so cool.

-Robert

That would probably require skinnier wheels and tires for clearance then, hehe

But Very nice write-up. for the gland nuts on mine, I used the biggest channel locks I had, then hit the end with a mallet, this provided the force needed to break it loose.

Derek

Yeah, I thought about it on the way home that it wouldn't work. You could always weld the spring perch at stock height and use lowered springs. Orrrr... just make a spacer haha.

so you used celica strut tops on your non shp struts?

No, not on this install. When non shp struts are too hard to find, I will probably switch over to celica strut tops and use the toyota gland nut. That is what SFBMX88 did I believe.

-Robert

Edited by Komeuppance

• 2 weeks later...

Haha... it'll be driveable. But I consider lots of things "driveable"... LOL... I wouldn't do it for long, your turn in is going to suck really bad and the car will want to wander all over the place. Besides all the tire wear. If you adjust the toe, it should be more stable. Back end will be nice and squirely.

How low do you want to go...??

-Robert

dam that car is slammed, i just did this same convertion and my front sit higher then back and i got new mk1 camber plates, which i think that was costing it look that way.

when you welded that spring patch on the housing did you lower it lower then stock position??

dam that car is slammed, i just did this same convertion and my front sit higher then back and i got new mk1 camber plates, which i think that was costing it look that way.

when you welded that spring patch on the housing did you lower it lower then stock position??

Yes, all sleeve over perches are welded in a lower position, just over 2" lower. You cut and rewelded your struts?? Or you left the strut housings at stock height and used spacers inside for the MR2 inserts??

I daily drive it like that, and I love it.

-Robert

Yeah, I thought about it on the way home that it wouldn't work. You could always weld the spring perch at stock height and use lowered springs. Orrrr... just make a spacer haha.

No, not on this install. When non shp struts are too hard to find, I will probably switch over to celica strut tops and use the toyota gland nut. That is what SFBMX88 did I believe.

-Robert

You can also just get an xtra pair of stock fronts or bad ones and cut the tops off and then weld them onto the rears like I did....

You can also just get an xtra pair of stock fronts or bad ones and cut the tops off and then weld them onto the rears like I did....

Haha... yeah... detailed in my guide. But, I didn't paint mine purple!!

-Robert

• 3 months later...

Update: It's still AWESOME. Probably one of the best mods you can do for your car's handling. Even if you don't drop it down much you can still get a GREAT ride height and still be safe. I had to make many other modifications to the car to be able to drive this low on the daily.

-Robert

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

http://home.comcast.net/~DriftAbility/images/Komeuppance/StrutMod/22.jpg

This is how I decided where to put the perches. I have the DOM tubing centered over the buttweld.

MK1 rear struts, you'll need to have some way to have a threaded top portion. Or you can straight up weld a top on with the strut insert inside if you're gangster.

-Robert

This is how I decided where to put the perches. I have the DOM tubing centered over the buttweld.

-Robert

ok, well how did you decide where to cut the strut in the first place? i suppose there would be advantages and disadvantages of putting the pircehs too high or low