Bigger brakes

I know some people have them but I didn't really see a completed thread. Maybe I missed some threads somewhere.

I know there are a lot of threads about larger brakes. It seems some of them have been forgotten or the authors have not updated them. Does anyone have a working, reasonably priced setup on their car? Reasonably priced I mean wrecking yard calipers and rotors. I can't afford Wilwood parts. Also a master cylinder to use in place of ours. I am going with 18" wheels so I have some room to work with.

I seem to remember someone using vr4 brakes, a custom bracket, and crown vic rotors

but i know they didnt clear stock wheels (not that you care about that)

other than that the only other successful do it yourself seems to have been maxzillian with his wilwood setup

Here is the link Big Brakes

I have read through that thread. He found a master cylinder to work for him. Just not one for us in the states. So I would assume that using a 1" master is what is needed to make it work for us????? The 300gt calipers and a 1" master. Can someone verify that please. If the 1" master is the right size has anyone found one that will work for us?

the link above is for 300zx calipers, not 3000gt calipers. it looks like jason says they might be the same, but they might not as well. seriously though you can't really say x master will work with y front brakes, since the rear brakes make up part of the system too. I'd stick with the stock master cylinder as the difference between 15/16 and 1 is very small anyways. any master cylinder will work with any brake set up, its a question of how much travel will be required and how much pressure. even the same front calipers, rear calipers, and master cylinders in a different car can behave differently because of the weight of the car and the changes in tire size etc.

If the 300zx/3000gt does in fact use a 1 inch master cylinder, I'd say your much better off putting the calipers on first and testing it out with the stock master cylinder first than buying something and possibly finding out its too big or small.

I recently went to a tilton engineering pedal assembly / individual master cylinder set up, and they wanted to know what the weight of the car was, what calipers I was using, and a bunch of other detailed information. They have the means to calculate it based on a dynamic evaluation. Since I plan on changing my wheels and all four brakes in the future I told them to just send me the stock size cylinders for now. Coolest thing about these is a rebuild kit is only like 25 bucks.

I had a thought. It seems like a larger master cylinder is needed if you do front and rear upgrades. Is there a reason that our master cylinder couldn't be opened up to the right size and get a rebuild kit for the 3000gt or whatever calipers are used?

That big brake thread is my one. I dont believe the 1" master cylinder is necessary, as the stock one being 15/16" should be adequate providing it is not leaking. Mine was, hence the new 1" one.

My upgrade is relatively inexpensive, as it uses readily available (here) Sumitomo 300zx calipers, and standard new starion discs. The brackets were the most expensive part due to the R&D that went into getting them right.

I also chose to go with decent pads, braided lines and Motul racing fluid too, as mine is a dedicated race car.

Also please remember mine will NOT work with stock wheels unless you use a spacer, although they will most likely with 8" rear wheels on the front (il check when mine arrive)

Im going to look into replicating the brackets at some stage if theres enough interest, to make a brake upgrade easier for the masses who dont have deep pockets (most of us id imagine :)

wilwood and baer are going to tell you to buy a custom kit from them. trade secrets and all.

if u dont have the money for a custom BB setup, i would just upgrade your current rotors with good pads. you will be fine. Oscar the grouch dedicated years to his BB kit that i believe can still be found on horsepowerfreaks.com for around 800 bucks. uses BMW rotors if im not mistaken

I'm looking at bigger brakes because of using 18" wheels. I want to make sure I can stop like the car is supposed to. I know that it is not a huge upgrade but the wheels are heavier. I weighed them on a scale. Not a fancy one either. The stock wheels are 32 front and 34 rear. The wheels i'm putting on the car are 45 front and 47 rear. That is quite a bit extra mass to stop. I don't know how to do the equation on that. Am I wrong in thinking I need an upgrade?

well putting bigger wheels and not bigger brakes will put you into the Donk, Box and Bubble crowd.

[/quote

We should have the mods make a Donk, Box and Bubble forum. Post up your over sized wheels.

The over sized wheels on cars looks awful. Big is good, but bigger is not always better.

I used Mustang calipers on my car, with stock rotors. The pads are much bigger, with lighter dual-piston calipers. I lost my pics. I gotta take some more.

To mount, I had to drill one hole, the rest bolted right up. I did have to mod the lines though.

I used Mustang calipers on my car, with stock rotors. The pads are much bigger, with lighter dual-piston calipers. I lost my pics. I gotta take some more.

To mount, I had to drill one hole, the rest bolted right up. I did have to mod the lines though.

What year? Did you notice any better braking? Did you have a new line made or use an adapter? Or use a mustang line?

• 3 weeks later...

me wanna see

post-13108-0-91742600-1313701863_thumb.jpgI had did a front brake kit using all willwood parts with the sl6 caliper and one of there off the shelf hat and had made custom brackets. If anyone is interested in talking the brackets and have them duplicated for others here you are welcome. My car is down now for a restoration, I dont have anyone that can do it. here is a picture of the setup I am using 18inch wheels

TopDawg_43 turned me onto this. Using the 05-10 Mustand caliper and bracket. Below is a pic of a GT and a standard caliper. GT on top. Either will work. There is no difference in calipers. The GT bracket has a different location for mounting. That's it. So you don't have to pay for the GT parts unless you want to. The standard bracket i drilled the mounting hole a little off. I got a new bracket. Which was the GT bracket and I didn't notice til I got home. I took some metal rod and threaded it. Used red loctite and then ground off the end. Then drilled my new hole. I didn't want to plug it again and redrill. I didn't feel safe doing it again.

You will need to have a new brake line made. I'm hoping mine will be ready in a couple days.

Thanks TopDawg_43 for the info.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o88/rf600/1313975215654.jpg

post-13108-0-91742600-1313701863_thumb.jpgI had did a front brake kit using all willwood parts with the sl6 caliper and one of there off the shelf hat and had made custom brackets. If anyone is interested in talking the brackets and have them duplicated for others here you are welcome. My car is down now for a restoration, I dont have anyone that can do it. here is a picture of the setup I am using 18inch wheels

can you just give me the part number for the aluminum hat you used? What car was it originally for?

me wanna see

Pics below

http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL928/13207530/23874700/398186652.jpghttp://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL928/13207530/23874700/398186657.jpg

Been running these since 08. And no problems to report.

Edited by TopDawg_43