cut or heated springs?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok how about some correct information.

Cutting springs is safe to do if done right. People have been cutting coil springs for lowering long before most of the people on this site were born. You cut the open end. For example, on our cars you would cut the bottom of the spring NOT the top. If you are gonna cut for lowering start off slow. Cut 1/4 to 1/2 a coil off and see where it sits.

Heating on the other hand is dangerous. When you heat a spring to lower a car you change the metalurgical properties of the steel. Where you heated it will no longer be classified as spring steel. It will be harder. Hardened steel has less ductility than spring steel. (ductility, the ability of a material to flex and bend without breaking.) That heated section is going to break eventually. While it wont break and shoot out of the car it will most likely break under high stress, IE going around a corner fast. You will lose control and crash hopefully only damaging the car and not someone else.

If you don't have the money, then just wait and save up, it's not worth crashing your car to be cheap, seriously. It's not worth your safety.

I had Suspension Techniques Springs on mine...no high butt at all.

Lots of photos in here.

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=392&page=4

Turborusty

is that all you had on yours? i plan to build some suspension as soon as i can gather the funds to do so..

Cosmo coilovers are cheap as hell. Ground Control's are the next best bet.

Do it right or don't do it at all.

who runs cosmos? they are pretty cheap. and they work with factory shock/struts?

which is better, dual spring? or single spring?

I have Cosmos on my car. They will work with stock struts, camber plates are suggested but probably not needed if you keep your lowness to a minimum.

Get the dual spring, it lets you stay higher in the rear. I bought the dual spring kit and left the "helper" spring out in the front.

Also, if you wanna just cut your springs, talk to Patra_is_here (Clay), he ran cut stock springs for the longest time.

Edited by dmyers151

I have Cosmos on my car. They will work with stock struts, camber plates are suggested but probably not needed if you keep your lowness to a minimum.

Get the dual spring, it lets you stay higher in the rear. I bought the dual spring kit and left the "helper" spring out in the front.

got any good side pics of your car? does it have that "rake" look?

Save up and do them right, you will not like the drivability with cut springs. You want to be sure to be able to keep the alignment right cause these cars will kick your arse trying to drive otherwise.

got any good side pics of your car? does it have that "rake" look?

With Cosmo coilovers the only reason you would have "rake" is if you adjusted the coilover to sit like that. Otherwise, adjust them to where everything sits level.

I run the Cosmo coilovers with a stock setup, and love them. If you leave the stock spring perches in you lose a little lowering distance, maybe half an inch, but you can still get it nice and low. If you cut the spring perches down, you will be able to go a little lower, and also give yourself a few more options for wheel and tire widths if you ever go aftermarket.

Here's a bunch of pics of my car, but keep in mind that mine is not lowered all the way down. I live out in the country, so I only have it slightly lower than stock ride height. I could still go probably an inch lower in the front and 1.5-2 inches lower in the back, and that is with the perches left stock. Also, the back wheels are in desperate need of spacers, so it makes the back wheel well gap look much bigger than it is.....

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=423

Also, Mookeeh used to make a set of simple sleeve coilovers similar to the Cosmo setup, only it didn't have the keeper springs. I'm not sure if they still sell them or not, but we have a set on the wife's car and like those pretty well too. They aren't quite the quality of the Cosmos, and have a little spring noise from time to time, but overall they worked out pretty good, especially for the price. We bought them in a group purchase for $100 IIRC.

Here's a pic of her car, but even it still could go a little lower before it would run out of travel with the stock perches. Could probably get anouther 3/4" out of it, maybe a little more....

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10087/Picture_095.jpg

Edited by Burton

I have adjustable coil overs all the way around and Cusco Adj. camber plates in the front and adj. camber plates in the rear. Here's the problem: When you install this set up on the front you will increase your ride height with the coil overs adjusted all the way down by 3/4 of an inch because of the Cusco camber plates. (Stock strut mounts sit lower) and you will need them(or something similar) installed if you don't want to eat the inside of your front tires. I tried cutting 1 inch off the front coils to compensate......Don't do it!!! You will have zero strut travel and it will ride like a rock. It all depends on how low you want the front and back. My rears are adjusted all the way down, so if you like me want a raked look, don't lower the rear adjustable coil overs so much. I learned the hard way. If you need info. about the front, ask Komeuppence (Robert) how he did his.

Good Luck,

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

With the idependent rear would you buy cater/camber plates like you would for the front towers? And as far as coilovers I've heard D2 where good anyone have experience with them? Also when running coilovers do you still run springs and such? I assume they take the place of those.

With Cosmo coilovers the only reason you would have "rake" is if you adjusted the coilover to sit like that. Otherwise, adjust them to where everything sits level.

I run the Cosmo coilovers with a stock setup, and love them. If you leave the stock spring perches in you lose a little lowering distance, maybe half an inch, but you can still get it nice and low. If you cut the spring perches down, you will be able to go a little lower, and also give yourself a few more options for wheel and tire widths if you ever go aftermarket.

Here's a bunch of pics of my car, but keep in mind that mine is not lowered all the way down. I live out in the country, so I only have it slightly lower than stock ride height. I could still go probably an inch lower in the front and 1.5-2 inches lower in the back, and that is with the perches left stock. Also, the back wheels are in desperate need of spacers, so it makes the back wheel well gap look much bigger than it is.....

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=423

Also, Mookeeh used to make a set of simple sleeve coilovers similar to the Cosmo setup, only it didn't have the keeper springs. I'm not sure if they still sell them or not, but we have a set on the wife's car and like those pretty well too. They aren't quite the quality of the Cosmos, and have a little spring noise from time to time, but overall they worked out pretty good, especially for the price. We bought them in a group purchase for $100 IIRC.

Here's a pic of her car, but even it still could go a little lower before it would run out of travel with the stock perches. Could probably get anouther 3/4" out of it, maybe a little more....

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10087/Picture_095.jpg

do you run camber plates?