Keep my son in your thoughts.

TSI_SVT

My youngest son, Skyler (age 13) had been sick Friday the 11th and that Saturday with viral like symptoms. He appeared to be feeling better Saturday evening and feel asleep just after dark. He was on the couch so I slept in the floor so I could keep a check on him. He appeared to sleep well all night and into Sunday morning. About 11:30 I decided to try and wake him. He would not wake up and did not respond in any way. I did all that I could think of to safely wake him but nothing worked. At that point I called 911. They arrived 10-15 minutes later. He was taken to one hospital and about an hour later he was transferred to the pediatric icu at UNC Hospital in Chapel Hill, NC. Later that evening it was determined that he had DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis). Basically it is the rapid onset of diabetes. It is a very serious and life threatening illness.

The past week Skyler has been in the intensive care unit and will likely be there for quite a while. His kidneys have failed and is on dialysis, he is on a breathing tube and has countless tubes, lines, a bolt in his head (intercranial pressure monitor) and other equipment hooked to him. He has had an EEG test, 3 cat scans, and an MRI. Those tests were a mixed bag of results but they were certain that at one point he had a lack of oxygen to the brain. We will not know the extent, if any, of the damage done and how he has been affected until after he is fully awake.

Yesterday, 7-19-08, was the first day he responded to voice, also it was the first day he opened his eyes, although it is was only slightly. Most all of his vital signs and test numbers are improving, if not back to normal. Today, 7-20-08, his eyes have been opening almost fully and he will squeeze my fingers with his hand if asked. He appears to be improving and hopefully will be out of the critical stage soon.

Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers and wish him a speedy recovery. Also, do not ever assume your child is completely healthy. Both of my boys are rarely sick and do not have previous health problems. I spent two days thinking it was just a virus and never considered him having anything else.

I love you Skyler.

http://i36.tinypic.com/33ts239.jpg

wow that really hit home. my oldest son is named skyler and is 13. as i read this it made me feel your pain. i hope your son gets through this quickly. you and your son are in my prayers.

my son skyler

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u272/travs87tsi/misc021.jpg

Travis

Edited by travs87tsi

I will have my exwife put his name on their prayer list at church tonight. Do you medical insurance that will cover his stay. If you need some help set up relief fund on paypal. I will donate. Will be praying for your son and your family. God Bless,Gary

my thoughts go out to you and youres and my prayers, he will be on a prayer chain from here too fla to cali in just a few hours

i would go outta my mind if this was one of my kids soo i can understand what youre feeling

I wish for your son, the quickest recovery, and best wishes to you and the rest of the family on the same.

I think I speak for all of us in saying, he will be in our prayers....

and its great to hear that he's improving.

I will be keeping all of you in my prayers. It must be very hard for a parent to see there son go throught this. I have 2 kids as well and im not sure if I could even deal with that if it happened to my kids. Thats good that he is improveing and I hope he makes a full recovery. Stay strong and will be praying God Bless

they transferred him to a good hospital. i hope they take care of it, and everything gets back to normal. my thoughts will be with you.

chapel hill is close to my mother who lives in shelby.

I will also pray for your son, keep us posted with how he is doing. i wish you and your family comfortable thoughts through this hard time for you all. Your son is definitely a trooper!!

(7-21-08) Thanks to everyone. We really appreciate it. Skyler has been doing well the past day. Hopefully if everything goes well the doctors will remove the icp monitor out of his head tomorrow and, maybe, in the afternoon or early evening take him off the ventilator. Today he has been less responsive due to being sedated virtually all day to keep his agitation level down. Because of that I haven't had a chance to talk with him much.

I will post updates as often as possible. Again thank you.