I need a shop near me to take my Quest to get it running again.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Wizard

Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
  • Interests:Mopars
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 04 February 2019 - 07:18 AM

I have had my 88 quest for long time. Since 92 when I bought it. I rebuilt motor and have done a few minor mods. It has been giving me some trouble with the head gasket keep blowing. I have had it sitting and have not started it for about 15 years now. I would like to get it back on the road but I don't have the time to fool with it. I work 90 plus hour weeks and weekends. I need a shop to take it to or a good mechanic near me to just let them go over it and get it operational and road worthy. Can anyone recommend someone that knows these cars around me. My location is Wellsville, PA. 17365  I can trailer it to the persons place or shop. Let me know if anyone can tell me.

Thanks,

Wizard
Wellsville, PA.

#2 Wizard

Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 07:21 AM

I have had my 88 quest for long time. Since 92 when I bought it. I rebuilt motor and have done a few minor mods. It has been giving me some trouble with the head gasket keep blowing. I have had it sitting and have not started it for about 15 years now. I would like to get it back on the road but I don't have the time to fool with it. I work 90 plus hour weeks and weekends. I need a shop to take it to or a good mechanic near me to just let them go over it and get it operational and road worthy. Can anyone recommend someone that knows these cars around me. My location is Wellsville, PA. 17365  I can trailer it to the persons place or shop. Let me know if anyone can tell me.

Thanks,

Wizard
Wellsville, PA.

#3 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:39 PM

Most mechanic shops do not know how to work on these cars they don't have the time patience knowledge or specs or even know where to get most of the parts for them. Even if they try working on it and cost you ton of cash. It just simply won't get done right. Best if find some time and start working on it.

Edited by croquest87, 04 February 2019 - 05:50 PM.

#4 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,923 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posted 04 February 2019 - 07:31 PM

maybe mods will move this post to higher traffic BS forums. U should get some hits
Knowledgable reputable starquestors scattered all about the country, that could sort u out. Research
Timing cover interference, ARP studs, warped deck.... can cause repeated head gasket sealing issues
good lock

#5 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,309 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 04 February 2019 - 07:51 PM

Agreed   Most of the time it comes out worse than it went in.

And you now have a huge bill with it.

There are some members in PA that could possibly help you.
Wish you were closer I would help for sure

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

#6 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 08:01 PM

There are some of us in Pa that could do that but keep in mind that my car sat for 12 years and it was expensive to bring back to life.  Your fuel tank is probably really bad if you didn't drain it.
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#7 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:00 PM

If you kept blowing head gaskets, your head is probably bad.  The heads are notorious on these cars for going bad, it's probably slightly warped and that's why the gasket keeps going.  I'm not sure where that location is in PA, but Ohio isn't super far, and that's where DAD is, he is probably your best bet.  You could trailer it there and it least you'll know that you will get a running car back.

Otherwise, you need to find a mechanic that worked with these cars back in the 80s when they were new.  An older Mitsu or Chrysler mechanic. Like was said already, anybody else is going to screw it up b/c the knowledge base just isn't there anymore.  It's tech from an era long gone, and it's a different animal than the muscle car era, so even that knowledge doesn't transfer well.  Tom is right though ... the whole motor and fuel system probably needs to be done over in order for it to be done right.
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#8 Wizard

Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:00 AM

Thanks for input. Yeah, time is something I am short on anymore. Used to live in the garage. 15 to 18 hours a day on the weekends. Now, cant do it. Yeah, I know Dad. Good guy and bought many a part off of him back many a year ago. I have boxes of performance parts up in the barn that I never got onto my car. That was almost 20  years ago. I rebuilt this motor I believe 2 times cant remember and have had some mods done to it and upgraded turbo and done some porting on it. I  used to work on this car a lot. A lot of good and bad times with it but always kept it in the end when about 3 head gaskets went. I gave  up and parked it for awhile. I do have a aftermarket head on it. Bear head. I did talk to dad about this problem last time it happened and think it was 15 to 18 yrs ago and he was the only one that kinda knows what it probably is. I cant remember exactly as to long ago but have it written down somewhere that he told me back in the one corner of the head is where I have to grind it down or do something  very unique to this head as he has seen it before and dealt with it. Its complicated. I do remember that. Anyways, I live near the Carlisle Fairgrounds about 15 miles from there south. Right up from York, PA. and West of Harrisburg about 15 miles. There is a tuner shop right down here on Rt. 15 right outside of Dillsburg, but went there many years ago to have some exhaust done and he messed it up and had him redo it or take off what I gave him cant remember but we did not get along after I told him and I showed him with my car up on his rack. Believe he had it hanging down to low or was rubbing something on my car and was rattling and brough it back to him and he argued with me it was ok. DMS or something he calls his shop. Not sure. I don't think they would know much about conquest. he is into modern stuff but said he worked on a few. Now that was 18years ago.
Wellsville, PA.

#9 Wizard

Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:05 AM

Thanks for input. Yeah, time is something I am short on anymore. Used to live in the garage. 15 to 18 hours a day on the weekends. Now, cant do it. Yeah, I know Dad. Good guy and bought many a part off of him back many a year ago. I have boxes of performance parts up in the barn that I never got onto my car. That was almost 20  years ago. I rebuilt this motor I believe 2 times cant remember and have had some mods done to it and upgraded turbo and done some porting on it. I  used to work on this car a lot. A lot of good and bad times with it but always kept it in the end when about 3

head gaskets

went. I gave  up and parked it for awhile. I do have a aftermarket head on it. Bear head. I did talk to dad about this problem last time it happened and think it was 15 to 18 yrs ago and he was the only one that kinda knows what it probably is. I cant remember exactly as to long ago but have it written down somewhere that he told me back in the one corner of the head is where I have to grind it down or do something  very unique to this head as he has seen it before and dealt with it. Its complicated. I do remember that. Anyways, I live near the Carlisle Fairgrounds about 15 miles from there south. Right up from York, PA. and West of Harrisburg about 15 miles. There is a tuner shop right down here on Rt. 15 right outside of Dillsburg, but went there many years ago to have some exhaust done and he messed it up and had him redo it or take off what I gave him cant remember but we did not get along after I told him and I showed him with my car up on his rack. Believe he had it hanging down to low or was rubbing something on my car and was rattling and brough it back to him and he argued with me it was ok. DMS or something he calls his shop. Not sure. I don't think they would know much about conquest. he is into modern stuff but said he worked on a few. Now that was 18years ago.

Wellsville, PA.

#10 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:56 AM

If cylinder head is flat and block is cut flat w timing cover on  along w some arp studs it's very unlikely you will blow that gasket unless you are full throttle racing constantly above 15 psi.l am talking  6000 rpms and dropping the clutch non stop. All it takes is some head lift as head bolts stretch w uneven surfaces to blow a gasket. Key is all being flat and properly torqued.As much as it sucks pulling the motor and having someone mill it all flat. Even though there is specs for flatnes l shoot for 100% zero flatness across the head and block so there is less chance knowing issues w head gaskets on these cars.
Keeping your cooling system in top cond is also a big factor so thing dont end up warping.

Edited by croquest87, 05 February 2019 - 07:07 AM.

#11 Wizard

Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:16 AM

No racing going on or went on with this car. Just a daily driver and kept it under 80 mph. Have arp bolts, basically no boost turned up. Basically a stock turbo. Cooling system was good when last ran.
Wellsville, PA.

#12 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:32 PM

What does your car look like?  Is it rusty?
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#13 Wizard

Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:14 PM

Its not to rusty. Has some rust but not complete rust bucket. Paint is shot.
Wellsville, PA.

#14 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,992 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 06 February 2019 - 12:00 PM

I'm pretty close but, similar to you, I unfortunately do not have the time available to support taking on other projects.    

There is a garage that specializes in Mitsubishi's in Cove Gap, PA which is on Rt 16 right at the base of the mountain just past Mercersburg.   I have no clue the name of the shop or anything, they don't have a sign nor does it even appear on Google Maps.   I've tried stopping in a few times when passing, for they have 4-5 conquests in their lot, but they were never there.    So it's a major long shot, but if you happened to be in that area, it might be worth a try.  

Kevin

#15 freebird

freebird

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Interests:time is of no moment, but only what your doing

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:09 PM

Just something you should know
Felpro made 2 different head gaskets for our engine
Ms9116pt is the better one and everyone should use instead of the older version
I dont remember that older number but the gasket looks all blue similar to sb Chevy gasket. Or just like the intake manifold gasket
The newer one is thicker made with graffite material of some kind
Im no expert so I dont know all the facts but If you are using felpro then use the better one.

Also I am in Ohio and own a really crappy rusted out conquest that should be junked but runs really good and all the drivetrain is excellent. If you can get me your car.... and some time. I will guarantee it will run.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 Wizard

Wizard

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:48 PM

Thanks for the offer. Can you PM me?
Wellsville, PA.

#17 varzaman

varzaman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 10 March 2019 - 05:54 PM

Hey Wizard, I'm starting to get in a similar situation as you. To make matters worse pretty soon I won't even have a garage :wacko:

Let me know if you find anyone who can work on these cars!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users