Megasquirt and the stock wiring: Clean Installation?

Hey guys,

While I wait for my pistons to show up I have some time to kill with my Starion and wanted to clean the wiring up in the engine bay for the Megasquirt. Right now it is an absolute rat's nest under the hood with all of the wiring just kinda lumped in there for fuel and ignition control, along with the stock TBI/engine harness folded up against the driver's side frame rail and zip tied in there.

If any of you have cleaned up the engine wiring throughout your MS install I invite you to post pics of it in here to give myself and others some ideas.

I plan on keeping the factory ECU in there for the oil pressure gauge and coolant temp gauge (and for a power source, etc.) but I have already eliminated cruise control, AC, and ABS and will be removing those segments of the harness along with all of the TBI and ignition management wiring, relays, etc. My thought is to cut them back to where they come through the fender and leave a little lead length (2-3") and crimp a closed ended ferrule or other plastic-coated wire term on to it. It'll end up looking like a bit of a mushroom with all of the wires there, but it will give the opportunity to strip and use the wires in the future if need be. I will probably fabricate some sort of box or cover to make it look nicer. Then, all of the MS wiring will be cut and soldered/spliced as necessary to make all of the wire runs straight and neat, with expando sleeve or split wire loom to cover it.

Thanks,

Matt

While this isn't exactly like what your doing, I am still TBI but I plan on taking all of the electrical stuff that normally sits over by the oem battery location and moving it into the cabin of the car and mounting it to the firewall. Our wiring harness "Should" allow for this IF you have eliminated lots of stuff like I have and it sounds like your doing the same. Obviously you will need to seperate the wires for anything at the front of the car like the headlights etc but that isn't difficult.

If this makes no sense (how I described it) I can draw a picture or use a few pictures from my restoration thread to try and better explain myself.

Yeah that is essentially what I was looking for--anyone that has pictures of their engine bay after it's been cleaned up please show it. I'll take some before and afters of mine too.

All I could really offer up is non wiring specific pictures of mine. I have deleted tons of stuff and as a result my engine bay is decently clean but I've not tucked it in any traditional sense. Not yet anyway.

• 3 months later...
Just an update to this topic, I have pictures in my build thread that shows my engine bay after finishing what I described a few posts ago. Basically taking both fenders wiring harnesses, pulling them through the firewall, reconnecting everything, extending a few wires, seperating the headlight, turn signal, etc wires, and then mounting everything under the dash.

That is impressive man. Kudos to you for that. I pulled the dash to repair a few wires that the previous owner had rather unceremoniously stripped the insulation off of and just left there...Glanced at it for a minute, then neatly put everything back where it was and called it good. You've got tremendous attention to detail, which is probably why your car is running and mine is too (but only kinda...).

If you are interested in doing it and have any specific questions about anything feel free to ask. In all honesty its not very difficult and I'm surprised nobody has done it before. Once I got a good look at the oem wiring harness it became very clear it was doable with not a ton of effort.

Lol true story. Society as a whole is getting lazier, in the future if you don't actually come over to my house and do it for me then it'll be lame.

I managed to do a (relatively) clean install on my MS--much better than it was last time. I know I can still clean it up a bit further taking a couple unnecessary splices out and using some expando sleeve or split loom to cover wires, but at least at this point it is no longer a rat's nest, fire hazard, or something that would cause issues with reliability.