speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,927 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers
  • Model:Starion

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:11 AM

Hey guys, I wanted to run something by you guys and see what you thought. I have a good friend of mine who has a 3d printer and one day while talking with him I mentioned how it would be cool to print a new header panel emblem for my car. Well fast forward two weeks and we got one printed up last night to test.

Here are a few pictures...

Posted Image

Posted Image

This one took 2.5 hours to print but the finished product I believe will be closer to 4 hours. The irregularities you see on the surface (square bubbles) is because this print was done with air spaces printed into it to save time and material. The finished version will be solid and smooth. I plan on sanding and hand finishing the logo, priming it, and then painting it. My buddy did say he has the material in red as well so that is an option too.

Another thing I'd like to address is why it takes so long to print this. The reason is because the higher the resolution on the print the less material the 3d printer lays down each time. Another reason is because when we printed this we used whats called a "raft" to ensure there was no warping on the edges. A raft is an initial layer for the print to sit on and make sure it stays in place along with giving surface area to eliminate warping from heat.

A rough guess on price would be around $15.00 shipped. Please keep in mind, this is just an estimate and I will have a better idea once I finish one and know the time and resources required for each of these.

My question to you guys is would anyone else be interested in one? If so let me know in the comments.

Edited by speedyquest, 22 April 2016 - 12:13 PM.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#2 IntercooledFlatty

IntercooledFlatty

Get Sum

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,332 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 22 April 2016 - 08:52 AM

that would be a cool key chain fob as well ;)
Posted Image
          MOPAR POWERED

#3 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,927 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 09:16 AM

If it was going to be a keychain fob it would need to be smaller and thicker I think but yea your right : )

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

#4 Vegasdude

Vegasdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Video Games, GYM, Sports

Posted 22 April 2016 - 10:56 AM

I need one asap.

#5 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,927 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:19 AM

View PostVegasdude, on 22 April 2016 - 10:56 AM, said:

I need one asap.

I can help you out with that, I don't need X number of people to say they want one before making any of these so it can be on a case by case basis. I will say though that before I sell any I want to make sure I have some kind of finished product to send before just promising you an emblem. The pictures show a test print only and its not the correct color or shaped perfectly to the header panel. Let me get everything all squared away and figured out and then I'll gladly get one sent your away.

I'm not doing this because I think I'll make any money, I just wanted one and figured others might want one also. Also the last thing I want to do is half arse something I'm putting out into the community.

Edited by speedyquest, 22 April 2016 - 11:20 AM.

Posted Image

#6 BillS

BillS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Muscle cars, jetskis

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:24 AM

I could use one, too.

#7 Jetspd150

Jetspd150

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:38 AM

You speak the truth on the 3D print thing. Im working on the console latch feeler. Question though? How will this handle on hot summer days on that header panel? I'm very aware of the strength on normal conditions. It is very strong, but under the elements it might be a challenge. Just a thought anyway. Keep up the good work. I may be interested as well. If i come up with some ideas? I will be glad to pass it along.

#8 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,927 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:42 AM

View PostJetspd150, on 22 April 2016 - 11:38 AM, said:

You speak the truth on the 3D print thing. Im working on the console latch feeler. Question though? How will this handle on hot summer days on that header panel? I'm very aware of the strength on normal conditions. It is very strong, but under the elements it might be a challenge. Just a thought anyway. Keep up the good work. I may be interested as well. If i come up with some ideas? I will be glad to pass it along.

You bring up a good point and in all honesty I can only say this, I don't know. The test print in the picture was printed with PLA. I don't know PLA's temp resistance but I do know its lower than ABS which is what I plan on printing the finished version in. I appreciate you bringing that up and I'll look into that and report back.

Posted Image

#9 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,927 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:52 AM

So after a bit of research I may rethink my decision to print the final version in ABS. Here is why.

#1: PLA's melting point is 356F so sunlight will not be a problem temperature-wise
#2: PLA is more resistant to UV discoloration and damage than ABS
#3: When ABS breaks down it tends to become brittle

I'll do some more research though.

Posted Image

#10 Jetspd150

Jetspd150

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posted 22 April 2016 - 11:55 AM

Ok cool. Thanks for fast response. Look forward to getting one of these.

#11 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,927 posts

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:15 PM

I just made an edit to the original post next to my rough guess on cost. I just want to make it clear that its just a guess and until I know how much time and resources goes into each one of these I can't give a set price that is fair to both you and me.

Posted Image

#12 pcristquester

pcristquester

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, Starquests and other unique cars. IPA and IIPA

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:37 AM

It's about time someone took this on!I had looked into and actually had some aluminum samples water jet cut and running it on Project Palermo. I had someone I thought was going to help me with a 3D like this, but he never got back to me and I'm not going to pester anyone. I'd be in for a couple, and if I can request while doing these go ahead and make some of the smaller ones that go on the left side of the hatch under the spoiler ��
Posted Image

#13 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 10:13 AM

I'd be in for one

#14 MotoCam360

MotoCam360

Motocam360

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,063 posts
  • Interests:SQ, SY/TY, BMW, electronics, motorcycles, snowbikes

Posted 23 April 2016 - 01:51 PM

I would recommend ABS.  We print lots of stuff in ABS and it's much more durable than PLA will ever be.  For structural parts, we print in black nylon and there are some other materials that are stronger than ABS.

PLA would be fine if nobody every bumps or touches the part, but I suspect this part will get some stress every time the wash mit rubs over it.

People should know that printing parts in a complete solid fill takes TONS of time on the machine.  $15 is pretty cheap for a solid fill part.
Tim

My Feedback Link
'87 Red 5spd | '87 Atlantic Blue 5spd | '88 Yellow auto | '88 Fiji Auto | '89 Fiji auto
Posted Image
  New/Used SQ parts can be found on Ebay under "MotoCam360"

#15 Vegasdude

Vegasdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Video Games, GYM, Sports

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:30 PM

Also will you guys be open for other designs/badges/emblems?

#16 freebird

freebird

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,851 posts
  • Interests:time is of no moment, but only what your doing

Posted 23 April 2016 - 03:31 PM

looks good!
The oem one's are slightly bent in the center.....which im sure you know.
Also....these would come with a sticky back?
or we would use our own double sided tape?

I would like to buy one also....But it looks like i may be all out of conquest starions by next week.
Which would be the first for me in 16 years...lol
It would be easy to store one of these though....so i would most likely want 2 :P
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 pcristquester

pcristquester

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 04:12 PM

View Postfreebird, on 23 April 2016 - 03:31 PM, said:

looks good!
The oem one's are slightly bent in the center.....which im sure you know.
Also....these would come with a sticky back?
or we would use our own double sided tape?

I would like to buy one also....But it looks like i may be all out of conquest starions by next week.
Which would be the first for me in 16 years...lol
It would be easy to store one of these though....so i would most likely want 2 :P
i still have that one piece you sent me a while back of the oem one. Want it back?
Posted Image

#18 freebird

freebird

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,851 posts
  • Interests:time is of no moment, but only what your doing

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:08 PM

View Postpcristquester, on 23 April 2016 - 04:12 PM, said:

i still have that one piece you sent me a while back of the oem one. Want it back?

nope
I have no use for it....hope it helped somehow
Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 pcristquester

pcristquester

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 05:58 PM

Yeah it helped me figure it was too intricate to make exactly the same how I planned haha
Posted Image

#20 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,927 posts

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:17 PM

@pcristquester: Yea I'm surprised nobody has tried making any for the community either but hey if I can help some of you guys out I'm all for it. About making smaller ones for the hatch... I didn't even know there was originally one back there, do you have a reference picture? I'd love to see it.

@Motocam360: Thanks for the input, its appreciated. I think what I will end up doing is just printing one of each and testing its strength to just get a "in the hands" idea of what I can reasonably expect from each material. I definitely don't want to sell anyone something that's going to snap in half.

@Vegasdude: While its tempting to say yes that I could do other emblems etc I think its a more honest answer to simply say no. I'm not doing this as a business venture or to make a bunch of money. I just wanted one, my buddy has a 3d printer so he can print me one and I figured hell why not let you guys have a chance at one as well. I appreciate the question and the interest, but I don't think its within the scope of what I'm trying to do.

@freebird: Yep I'm definitely aware of the slight bend in it down the center so it conforms to the header panel and guess what? Each one of these suckers will be hand formed and test fitted by me so fear not, they will fit like a gosh dang glove! And about the adhesive, I was actually contemplating about that. What do you guys want? Would you prefer to have the choice of what to stick it to your car with or would you prefer the convenience of getting what I deem appropriate along with it? Let me know : )

So after all that I think a small update is in order so you guys know where I am with this right now. As of today nothing else has been done but when there is a spare few hours for the printer to take the time to bang another one out I will play with it and get back here to give you more info.

Any questions? Feel free to ask.

Also, I appreciate everyone who has said they would like one, I've noted it and I'm not ignoring that. I'm just being very casual about this until I can say "Yes, I have something for you to buy."

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users