Screw FAT32 and the PS3 it rode in on.

JustPaus_88TSi

So, I've had a PS3 for some time now and have solely used it for gaming(no multiplayer either) and the occasional bluray. The other night I decided that I should dig a little bit deeper into what the PS3 can do.

Readin up on it, I'm not interested in port forwarding my wireless router to stream content from my HD. So i do the next best thing since I have a little portable 500gb HD that I barely use. I wipe it, partition it with a 32gb section of fat32 and the rest NTS-whatever the hell. Drop a 350mb tv show on it and away we go. Hey, it works, and quite well. Load up a couple 700mb-1.4gb movies to see if the ps3 recognizes all of them. Yep, still good to go.

What's next? Obviously I should try this 11.5gb bluray I "found" to try since I don't own it yet.

Yeah. No. Fat32 can only deal with 4gb chunks at a time. What the crap kind of antiquated set up is this? First you limit me to a total of 32gb and then have the stones to further limit that to only being able to deal with 4gb's at a time? Choke on a fat donkey sausage you little bastage, you should be able to deal with anything I feed you.

Screw that noise, I'm going to build a HTPC and be done with it.

So, I've had a PS3 for some time now and have solely used it for gaming(no multiplayer either) and the occasional bluray. The other night I decided that I should dig a little bit deeper into what the PS3 can do.

Readin up on it, I'm not interested in port forwarding my wireless router to stream content from my HD. So i do the next best thing since I have a little portable 500gb HD that I barely use. I wipe it, partition it with a 32gb section of fat32 and the rest NTS-whatever the hell. Drop a 350mb tv show on it and away we go. Hey, it works, and quite well. Load up a couple 700mb-1.4gb movies to see if the ps3 recognizes all of them. Yep, still good to go.

What's next? Obviously I should try this 11.5gb bluray I "found" to try since I don't own it yet.

Yeah. No. Fat32 can only deal with 4gb chunks at a time. What the crap kind of antiquated set up is this? First you limit me to a total of 32gb and then have the stones to further limit that to only being able to deal with 4gb's at a time? Choke on a fat donkey sausage you little bastage, you should be able to deal with anything I feed you.

Screw that noise, I'm going to build a HTPC and be done with it.

HA HA I'm sorry for your misfortune,

I hate partition hard drives w/ fat32 seemed like a tweek Johnny Mnemonic would use .

Blue-ray is sort of anti climatic, I've never be able to distinguish it from a regular DVD quality, maybe it's better audio ?

It really depends on your set up. For my 65" 1080p tv, there's quite a difference.

http://www.originalprop.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/t2-sarah-connor-blu-ray-disc-dvd-comp-x1920.jpg

As for audio, it again depends on your setup. My audio set up shames movie theaters, so things like lossless trueHD, DTS-HD HR, or PCM audio from bluray sources are vastly different in content than that of Dolby or DTS equipped DVD's.

Screw the portable drive nonsense. Look up TVersity and PlayOn. You can just stream your files over the network. I have a Core 2 Duo set up with a 2TB drive that has all my stuff on it. The 2 PS3's in my house can watch what ever is downloaded or stream what ever is on hulu.

I tried the HTPC route and it is a pain to find what you wanna watch and navigate around, it does rock though for playing COD or other LAN games.

Blue ray is awsome, totally changes your movie experience at home. i cant even watch regular dvds anymore. If you can't tell a difference then there setup is wrong. Also my wife and i are hopefully getting a 3d HDTV, seems like all the 3d players are only sold in blue ray, just something i noticed.

Blue ray is awsome, totally changes your movie experience at home. i cant even watch regular dvds anymore. If you can't tell a difference then there setup is wrong. Also my wife and i are hopefully getting a 3d HDTV, seems like all the 3d players are only sold in blue ray, just something i noticed.

Yeah, setups not wrong I just don't have mega resolution screen. lol...

You know you can just link your PS3 to another Windows PC on your network and see all of it's media right? I did it with Windows Vista (ewwww) and 7.

Yeah that's how I do it. Never thought of forwarding ports and such except for BT files. Playon media server is like $25 for a lifetime and logs me in automatically to hulu, youtube, netflix and several others if I want. It will probably eventually replace our cable tv service.

Initially I wanted to shy away from port forwarding to access my media. It was a huge PITA when I tried it for uTorrent, and I never got it set up right(it just sort of fixed itself). I've read that streaming(via any current method) can leave a choppy playback condition.

I'm looking into a WDTV at the moment, as it will access the 1TB and 2TB WD mybooks I have with a physical connection, it will also keep my PS3 from being used as much.

We'll see though, I might try the TVersity dealie-o if I can set it up easily with my wireless(linksys) router. Port forwarding just makes me go GRRRRR. :angry: :lol:

d00d you dont have to port forward anything do yourself a solid and download PS3 media center or XBMC and use that instead you will love it and as long as your pc is wired in through a switch preferably gigabit you will play blueray files with no problems. Also I want to note that you can actually copy blueray movies to the ps3 hdd through the network takes a while but its possible.

Anyone want to add me and get pwned in mw2 my PS3 name is " educatedpapi " pe@ce yall im out.

Hmmm, I got the port forwarding thing from looking it up online.

Is it as simple as running the Internet/wireless setup function through the ps3's settings, and just typing in the wep key?

Also, I don't plan to game online or browse the Internet, so do I still have to create a PSN account?

that was made knowingly as a choice by the PS3 team to cut down on the ablity to rip things to the ps3 like whole games blue ray movies etc. But just grab yourself a modded xbox1 and put it on your network and stream way to the device of your choice as hit on above Way cheaker then the PC you want and works great. can get them for 30 40 bux max

Hmmm, I got the port forwarding thing from looking it up online.

Is it as simple as running the Internet/wireless setup function through the ps3's settings, and just typing in the wep key?

Also, I don't plan to game online or browse the Internet, so do I still have to create a PSN account?

Yes, just go through the wireless setup area.

I don't think you need a PSN account. Basically with your computer running a media server program, which ever you choose, on the network the PS3 should see it in the Video area.

You have to make sure that your computer doesn't have the firewall up, or if you do you have to open ports up.