1989 Mitsubishi Starion with TONS of mods--SOLD

helrazr70

I am going to jump on the bandwagon and put my car up for sale.

Tonight I was offered a car I CAN'T pass up. It is the car I have been waiting to find for a while and this opportunity won't last long so I am having to act quickly. My best option is to part with the '89 Starion.

It's one of the 159 '89 Starions imported in 1989!

It is a 5spd and has 105k on the body and about 6k on the engine.

The car has a little rust on both frame rails with the passenger side being the worst. The driver side rail is just a little more than surface rust. The passenger lower fender and lower rear 1/4 are rusty and will require some attention. The driver side is perfect. The paint is shiny all over. This car spent most of it's life on Long Island, NY--so it looks pretty good considering where it's been!

The car has nice checkered cloth interior with MOMO steering wheel and shift knob as well as an array of gauges and audio equipment.

The car runs and drives great. It makes all it's power on the top end. Drive it anywhere.

Anyway, the mods list is in my sig and I will post a few more pics and info in addition to the link below.

I will leave this ad up for about a week. If by then it hasn't sold I will start selling off the mods and then eventually sell it as a roller. I am in a time crunch or I would just wait it out.

I am not really expecting it to sell whole. The economy sucks and nobody is buying higher priced cars lately but I figured I would at least try.

I could sell off the mods for a lot more than I can sell the car whole. This car has a DREAM LIST of mods!!

Options:

$5500 whole as it is right now

$4500 with stock 7s/8s and no strut bars or 83 tails

$4100 without wheels/bars & without cloth interior---leather interior minus the driver seat installed

$3600 without the '83 hood/wheels/tails/bars/cloth interior

...or you come up with a combo and see what we come up with.

I will start parting it back to stock VERY soon so act fast!

Mod list:

Mod list:

Fuel Injection Pro Multiport w/ Standalone ECU Megasquirt

1000cc Bosch injectors (75lb)

Garrett 35R .078a/r turbo with polished compressor housing

Tial 44mm wastegate

Halman Boost Controller

GREDDY turbo timer

HKS Powerflo air filter system

Custom polished aluminum IC pipes with polished Spearco bar and plate Front Mount Intercooler

Intercooler system has HPS couplers and T bar clamps

Ported Marnal Head with new 1mm oversize valves and seals

Schneider 284H cam kit

Schneider HD valve Springs

ZEX 50 shot Nitrous Oxide kit (UNUSED)

Magnecor 8mm plug wires

MSD Spark Discharge AMP

MSD 6A ignition system

MSD EFI coil

EL Custom Stainless headers from Chad

Custom 3" mandrel bent turbo back exhaust with HKS Hyper Muffler

HKS SSQV Blow off valve

Custom 3 core Aluminum Radiator

Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator

ARP Main Bolts

ARP Header Bolts

ARP Rod Bolts

Wiseco forged pistons

Ajusa head gasket

TEP fan relay kit

AN fittings and steel braided lines

SS fasteners all around

Custom CUSCO front and rear strutbars

Rear Mounted Battery

Rear mounted Nitrous tank

C&S 130 amp upgrade alternator

Krankvent system

Mitsubishi valve cover

Alarm system with remote

Air horns

Suspension:

Rare Cusco front and rear Camber plates

Eibach springs

Tokico shocks

Stedebani Poly bushings all around

ST Swaybars 22mm front 19mm rear

Drilled and slotted rotors

Braided stainless brake hoses

Wheels:

5Zigen FN01R-C

Front 17x9 +15 offset

Rear 17x10 +12 Offset

Kumho Ecsta MX

Front 245/45/17

Rear 275/40/17

Drivetrain:

ACT Extreme PP

ACT Stage 3 Organic clutch

Fidanza 9 lbs Flywheel

Bane Short shifter

Exterior:

83 Hood

83 Tail lights

Interior:

Momo Race Steering Wheel

Momo Race Shift Knob

Momo Shift boot

Momo Mats

Momo seatbelt covers

Autometer Pro Comp Gauges

Boost,Fuel Press, EGT, Vac

AEM wideband AF/R Gauge

Razo Pedals

Pioneer radio and DSP EQ and 6 disk changer All professionally wired with accessories

Crunch Drive Amps

JBL speakers all around with component tweets

PICS:

http://s561.photobuc...ss56/helrazr70/ Starts on page 2

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss56/helrazr70/Starion053.jpg

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss56/helrazr70/Starion054.jpg

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss56/helrazr70/Starion059.jpg

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss56/helrazr70/Starion060.jpg

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss56/helrazr70/Starion063.jpg

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss56/helrazr70/Starion065.jpg

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss56/helrazr70/Starion070.jpg

Edited by helrazr70

I was told that at one time 420rwhp but that was before the undegreed bigger cam and some tuning by an inexperienced person. It runs great like it is but there is more to be had. I have never dyno'd the car.

Like ALL MPI cars for sale over the past year, a better tune will make it faster. Don' tget me wrong, there are no tuning "issues". It runs perfectly as it is. I just know that with some additional tweaking and raising the boost you can get some serious power out of it. It pulls like a best right now but more tuning will push it into supercar territory. It is at 21psi right now and if you raise the boost to 30psi AFTER some additional tuning you will be making SERIOUS power--and repairs to the drivetrain and axles most likely! All the supporting mods are there to go faster.

As it is right now it is pretty scary to any passeneger I had taken for a joyride.

I was just about to get started on making it faster but the opportunity I was presented with tonight wins. I am either selling the car as-is or selling off all the mods to gather the funds for the new purchase.

Edited by helrazr70

Interior pics coming soon,

Standard or Automatic? Checked out your photo page and there are no shots of the interior.... thanks.

And: are you actually located in PA?

Interior pics coming soon. It has a nice black/checkered velour interior.

I am actually located in PA. Seriously, I didn't make up a random location...

It's a 5spd. Sorry, I forgot to add that. The clutch, flywheel, and short shifter in the mods list kinda give that one away. ;) (Also, I don't think there are many auto cars that will hold up under a Garrett GT35R dual ball bearing turbo)

LoL. Wasn't accusing you of NOT being in PA. Just sometimes people fill out the wrong info on the profile.

Took the liberty of Google Maping your town, your about 3 hours south of me. That is if you do the speed limit, fortunately, I don't have to worry about such things. :)

Looking forward to interior pictures.

Interior pics coming soon. It has a nice black/checkered velour interior.

I am actually located in PA. Seriously, I didn't make up a random location...

It's a 5spd. Sorry, I forgot to add that. The clutch, flywheel, and short shifter in the mods list kinda give that one away. ;) (Also, I don't think there are many auto cars that will hold up under a Garrett GT35R dual ball bearing turbo)

The car has 105k miles and the engine has ~6k miles on it.

Here are a few pics of the interior and one of the passenger side where you can see the rust. I am including a fender patch or a whole fender if the car sells whole.

If you add up all the mods, you couldn't build this car for twice the price.

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss56/helrazr70/interior.jpg

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss56/helrazr70/trunk.jpg

http://i561.photobucket.com/albums/ss56/helrazr70/passide.jpg

Here is the mod list:

Mod list:

Fuel Injection Pro Multiport w/ Standalone ECU Megasquirt

1000cc Bosch injectors (75lb)

Garrett 35R .078a/r turbo with polished compressor housing

44mm wastegate

Halman Boost Controller

GREDDY turbo timer

HKS Powerflo air filter system

Custom polished aluminum IC pipes with polished Spearco bar and plate Front Mount Intercooler

Intercooler system has HPS couplers and T bar clamps

Ported Marnal Head with new 1mm oversize valves and seals

Schneider 284H cam kit

Schneider HD valve Springs

ZEX 50 shot Nitrous Oxide kit (UNUSED)

Magnecor 8mm plug wires

MSD Spark Discharge AMP

MSD 6A ignition system

MSD EFI coil

Equal Length Custom Stainless header from Chad

Custom 3" mandrel bent turbo back exhaust with HKS Hyper Muffler and magnaflow catalytic converter

HKS SSQV Blow off valve

Custom 3 core Aluminum Radiator

Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator

ARP Main Bolts

ARP Header Bolts

ARP Rod Bolts

Wiseco forged pistons

Ajusa head gasket

TEP fan relay kit

AN fittings and steel braided lines

SS fasteners all around

Custom CUSCO front and rear strutbars

Rear Mounted Battery

Rear mounted Nitrous tank

C&S 130 amp upgrade alternator

Krankvent system

Mitsubishi valve cover

Alarm system with remote

Air horns

Suspension:

Rare Cusco front and rear Camber plates

Eibach springs

Tokico shocks

Stedebani Poly bushings all around

ST Swaybars 22mm front 19mm rear

Drilled and slotted rotors

Braided stainless brake hoses

Wheels:

5Zigen FN01R-C

Front 17x9

Rear 17x10

Kumho Ecsta MX

Front 245/45/17

Rear 275/40/17

Drivetrain:

ACT Extreme PP

ACT Stage 3 Organic clutch

Fidanza 9 lb Flywheel

Bane Short shifter

Exterior:

83 Hood

83 Tail lights

Interior:

Momo Race Steering Wheel

Momo Race Shift Knob

Momo Shift boot

Momo Mats

Momo seatbelt covers

Autometer Pro Comp Gauges

Boost,Fuel Press, EGT, Vac

AEM wideband AF/R Gauge

Razo Pedals

Pioneer radio and DSP EQ and 6 disk changer All professionally wired with accessories

Crunch Drive Amps

JBL speakers all around with component tweets

It's on the road. I drove it today.

It's not tagged or insured right now but it's driveable anywhere you want to go. It idles beautifully, It pulls hard, and it returns to idle smoothly after letting off the gas.

It has an open NY title. It's ready for the next owner to sign and drive away.

No sunroof.

Pics coming tonight of the rails.

The car has a full velour interior. The comment about the leather was if someone didn't want the interior I would swap in a leather one minus the driver seat. I have a few $300-$500 range offers for the interior alone if I part it out.

Edited by helrazr70

Pics are taken of rails I will upload shortly.

For some perspective, think about this:

There is a Hurricane 4 system for sale in the FS section for $2000

The 83 hood will sell for $400-$500

The 83 taillights will sell for $200-$250

The GT35R dual ball bearing turbo will sell for $500 or more

The exhaust header will sell for around $400-$450

The alternator upgrade is god for $200

The airdam will sell for $200

The unused nitrous kit will sell for $200

The MOMO goodies will sell for $250

The front camber plates will sell for $150 easily

The flywheel will sell for $200

The clutch will sell for $150

All the braided hoses will sell for around $250

All the gauges will sell for ~150

That's around $5500 in parts and there is still a car left full of goodies...

I am busting my behind gutting the parts car to get it hauled off early next week. Once that 1/2 of the garage is clear the '89 Starion is coming inside. If I have no serious buyers soon the car may not leave under it's own power and there will be some happy parts owners.

Good luck with sale, but I have a feeling you'll be pulling parts off of it. I used to get onto people about parting out, but at this point I'm thinking about doing that to mine as well. I hope it works out for ya, bud.

I really wish I hadn't bought my car when I did. Directly after people started listing their cars (mostly MPI) for sale and I'm really kicking myself. I've put ~10k into my car and it doesn't run but otherwise has a VERY similar setup to yours and is also an 89 starion. Good luck with your sale, just wanted to post and say it really does take twice as much at least to build a car in this condition...AND THIS ONE RUNS!!!!

Seriously contemplating this. I have a full leather interior (non completed rebuild of a 88 in my garage - just don't have the time, hence why I'm looking for a "complete" car) that can easily be swapped back in.

Only two things holding me back; the frame rail rot/rust. Not sure how easy of a fix that is? I thought I remember Mitsu actually releasing a "patch" kit for the frame rails because they all pretty much rusted, but not sure if I am remembering that correctly?

Lack of sun/moon roof. I know, I know.. I shouldn't even *think* about that with a car with as many mods as yours has. But that is the other thing, never driven/owned a "modded" Quest. All of mine have been pretty much stock. And we all know the reliability on the stock cars aren't great to begin with. But, I know how to fix the stock ones. This one looks like a completely different animal. lol

The car has a full velour interior. The comment about the leather was if someone didn't want the interior I would swap in a leather one minus the driver seat. I have a few $400-$500 range offers for the interior alone if I part it out.

Seriously contemplating this. I have a full leather interior (non completed rebuild of a 88 in my garage - just don't have the time, hence why I'm looking for a "complete" car) that can easily be swapped back in. The interior in this car is much more rare than leather--and more comfortable in my opinion. The cloth interiors don't show thier age like leather.

Only two things holding me back; the frame rail rot/rust. Not sure how easy of a fix that is? Actually it's pretty easy with some 16ga sheetmetal. You can either weld together a patch piece or find someone with a sheetmetal brake to make a patch section.

Lack of sun/moon roof. I know, I know.. I shouldn't even *think* about that with a car with as many mods as yours has. A sunroof is a reasonable request. I like them too.

But that is the other thing, never driven/owned a "modded" Quest. All of mine have been pretty much stock. And we all know the reliability on the stock cars aren't great to begin with. But, I know how to fix the stock ones. This one looks like a completely different animal. lol It is a different animal, but the system is very uncomoplicated by comparison to a stocker. The reliability has been great with this one.