5 replies to this topic

#1 Rapom

Rapom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:47 AM

My issue start with no reverse lights...So on my 89 i found while underneath it one day that the wires on the reverse switch were broken off flush at the connector.. so yesterday i replaced the switch with an oem used part thought hell yea thats definitely it!.. well still no reverse lights. So i checked the bulbs.. no bulbs. Ok.. maybe they pulled the bulbs because one of the broken wires grounded out and completed the circuit. So i put new bulbs it. YAY they work!... oh wait.. its in neutral... there on at all times. (W key on) also 3rd brake light is inop. Replaced that bulb too. I do have the fsm electrical for this car.. just figured this may be an easy common "its this" issue.. thanks!

#2 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:00 PM

Voltmeter and see if that switch is shorted inside first. Chase it down the line after that if switch is ok.

#3 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,009 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 06 August 2019 - 12:32 PM

There is a steel ball bearing that gets inserted with the switch.  It just falls out when you remove the switch from the transmission and rolls away.  Thus your switch is not contacting anything causing the lights to be on at all times.  

If you lost the ball, it's diameter is 5/16" or 8mm (either will work).

#4 Rapom

Rapom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:56 PM

There is a ball in there huh... HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH honestly its not funny. Mostly because my car sits so low (not my doing) its really not fun getting off the ground to get under. The old switch was very loose... im guessing its been out before thus is why my ball is missing.. didnt see anything roll out.. does it always roll out? Or can it get stuck up in there..

#5 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,975 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 06 August 2019 - 06:24 PM

Your 3rd brake light issue may be that the rear hatch is out of adjustment. There are metal contacts on the hatch struts that the brake light uses, if they're not lined up properly it wont make contact.
88 Fiji Blue -TSi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, SPA fuel regulator, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

<SOS> http://sosmanuals.minagera.org/
<SQ Garage> http://www.starquestgarage.com/

#6 Rapom

Rapom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:11 PM

Ok. The hatch does not sit perfectly flush with the "fender fins" ? But closes and opens nicely. Rear wiper works good. And rear washer sprayer. Il have to find that contact and see what needs adjusting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users