anyone megesquirt a stock TBI

Just wondering if anyone megasquirted a stock tbody quest.

I cannot imagine it to be too hard. i think it could only help

the car run better. any info would be great.

anyone have a stock 87 ECU pinout?

Thanks.

IW

Edited by importwarrior

Couth has Megasquirt one.(more or less)

Starquestgarage.com should have a pin out of the 88 stock ECU

http://www.starquestgarage.com/manuals/service/conquest/1988/88_conquest_service_manual_-_group_26_-_electrical.pdf

Me and a friend were discussing staying TBI but going EDIS ;)

I'm the one who built and installed the MS in Jeff's (smallblock12)Fiji (also built the one in his current Palermo, but not finished installing it yet, hard to find the extra time right now....lol) Both of those were/are TBI cars, the Fiji had TBPro2R injectors, the Palermo is currently running stock injectors (not sure how that's going to work out with them being different sizes yet, but we'll find out)

I had considered putting the MS board into a stock ECU with the stock wiring harness, but after doing some voltage drop tests, I found that most of the wires had so much corrosion, it wasn't worth the effort, and this was on a harness that looked pretty good from the outside. The injectors wires had almost a full 1 volt drop 3 feet into the harness on the engine end :huh:

The temp sensor (ecu) had a little bit more than that. I beleive the stock harness is 75% of the problem on most of these cars, so if you decide to go that route, just be sure to thoroughly check the stock harness, or rewire it.... :wacko:

I ran MS on my TBI for a while. Also ran EDIS with the TBI before going MPI.

To control the stock timing you need to lock the distributor and have something like an MSD box. I don't think you can do it with the stock ignitor system. Been a while though so correct me if I'm wrong.

^^ what the heck? a MS board bolted onto a stock ecu casing and wired into the existing harness? did you need to change the sensors too?

The above board is currently on an '87 Starion and yes it runs. We are tuning the car as we get time off our busy schedule. We're using stock coolant temp,but use GM intake temp sensor.

I'm current running the same setup on my '86 using all stock sensors daily driven.

Both cars is still on stock ignition. The MS is running fuel only.

I like to start from the basic and work my way up.

Edited by Couth'nize

I'm here, and my megasquirt V2.2/MS-I/MSextra with timing control on my stock 87 TBI made the round trip from Houston to Branson, MO without issue. 26 average mpg running 75 most of the way (speeding warning in Arkansas to prove it).

I am close to a full plug-n-play system, working on a better knock sensing circuit for the stock knock sensor and it should be finished testing next week. The system uses all of the factory wiring, mainly because it is shielded in the correct places and I hate pulling wiring harnesses. If you send me a stock ECU box and stock ignitor box I will build the megasquirt into the stock ECU box and put the knock sensor circuit and VR signal conditioning circuit into the ignitor box and include a GM MAT sensor and bung with instructions on how to lock down the dizzy. You will have to weld in the MAT bung and splice into some wires for the sensor but other than that it's just swapping the boxes. Cost depends on which processor/board combo you choose and any other feature options you want to enable.

I'll post up a pinout later, I'm tied up for the rest of today.

Scott

Awesome, I look forward to it.

I knew you were here somewhere, just thought I'd make sure. :)

Also, how difficult would this be to convert over to MPI later on?

Edited by dmyers151

Here is my write up for the '86 cars. With some understanding of the later schematic, you can do it to the later year cars.

I do not intend to do this for anyone that I don't know well or trying to make money out of this. Possibly later when I get some free time, but not now.

Edit: I wish I have time to play with this more ,but I am swamp with work.

Scott, it's good to see another member that takes the time to understand these type ECU and share your knowledge with the rest of the community.

Edited by Couth'nize

Also, how difficult would this be to convert over to MPI later on?

Piece of cake to convert later. Instead of one trigger wire to one injector you connect each wire to 2 injectors. Might take 10 minutes.

Piece of cake to convert later. Instead of one trigger wire to one injector you connect each wire to 2 injectors. Might take 10 minutes.

Good stuff. Looks like this will be my route.

First, Couth has talent, you can see it in the details of the board picture above. Very neat wiring, different colored LED's, numbers on the connectors, I could go on and on. I will use that pic as a reference for the factory numbering system.

There are two factory connectors, the yellow one and the green one. The factory, and this is from the 87 FSM electrical diagarm, gives the yellow connector numbers 1-24 and the green one numbers 51-64. Looking at Couth's picture which shows the backside of the connectors the numbers 1-12 are the upper row left to right and 13-24 are the bottom row left to right. The green connector top row is 51-57 and the bottom 58-64. Note that not all the locations have a pin, there is one missing in the top middle of the green connector for example, but you still count that location as if it had a pin. Call the pins the ECI position.

The megasquirt connector is referred to as a DB 37, looking at the connector or the pin holes on the bare board they number 1-19 on the top row left to right and 20-37 on the bottom row left to right. Call them the MS position, I will give differences between the V2.2 and V3.0 boards when they exist and describe the function of the location.

ECI 1, V2.2 to coil transistor drain, V3.0 pin 36, coil switching.

ECI 13, V2.2 to U4 pin 6, V3.0 pin 24, distributor signal in.

ECI 4, V2.2 pin 19, V3.0 pin 13, sensor grounds.

ECI 6, pin 21, coolant temp.

ECI 10, pin 26, +5 volts to sensors.

ECI 11, pin 23, O2 signal in.

ECI 14, pin 20, MAT/IAC.

ECI 15, pin 22, TPS.

ECI 20, pin 30, PWM idle valve - (optional).

ECI 22, pin 37, fuel pump relay.

ECI 51, pin 28, +12V power.

ECI 53, pins 7,8,9,10,11, ground.

ECI 60, pins 32,33, injector bank A (small or drivers side injector on 87 and up).

ECI 62, pins 34, 35, injector bank B (large or passenger side injector on 87 and up).

ECI 57, + 12V for PWM idle valve (optional).

ECI 16, pin x4, boost control valve - (optional).

ECI 61, jp1 pin 5, knock sensor in (optional).

You can mount additional transistors like the coil control, boost control to the case for cooling or to the mounting plate used to hold the factory connectors. Couth doesn't show a heat sink for the injector drivers in the picture above but I'd recommend adding one if you're planning to use the V2.2 board. Just a small bit of scrap aluminum bolted to the drivers is enough.

Not as hard as it looks, go for it!

Scott