Jump to content



DIY 3" Exhaust


  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ucw458

ucw458

    This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,389 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colorado
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:12 PM

Posted here from this thread.   http://www.starquest...hl=exhaust&st=0



I'm upgrading my exhaust because the 2.5 was too small for MPI.  I knew it would be but it was all I had at the time.  I'm starting from scratch with just some mandrel bends and straight pipe.  I didn't want to have to redo it down the road so it's all stainless pipe with 5 V-band joints.  Gonna be so much easier to take apart with V-bands instead of bolts.  Cost me $100 for V-band joints but oddly 2 bolt flanges would have cost more.


I haven't used my welder for over a year.  Kinda like riding a bike.  You don't forget how to do it you just forget how to be really good at it. lol  My welds are ok though.  Not as pretty as I would like but they will hold.  I should practice with it more often.  Even if I'm not working on a project.



Anyway here's a pic of some of the stuff I'm adding to the car. For the project I got pipe fro Ace Stainless.  It took almost 8' of 3" pipe and 5-90 deg mandrel bends.

Posted Image
My 87
Posted Image





#2 ucw458

ucw458

    This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,389 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colorado
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:14 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image



I ordered one of these resonators to run instead of the cat.  Only need the cat on when I'm smogging it.  The resonator will get it's own Vband flanges so it'a an easy swap out.

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

Posted Image
My 87
Posted Image

#3 ucw458

ucw458

    This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,389 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colorado
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:16 PM

For fitment I use the finger rule.  Just enough room to put your finger between the pipe and the car is perfectly spaced.  It has a little room to wobble but doesn't bang on anything.


I pieced everything together so here's a cost breakdown.

Ace Stainless
3" pipe  x2-4' sections $33 each
x5  3" 90 deg mandrel bends  $13 each

Ebay
Resonator  $46
Vband assemblies  x5 @ $20 each
J-hooks (hangers)  x10 @ $11.50
Flex section  6"x3"  $24
Muffler $46
Hedder wrap  $17


So about $380 Plus stainless wire and my time.  But considering it should last a long time it's worth it.


I'm gonna wrap the DP with hedder wrap when I get the WG installed.  Looks like I can't use the factory heat shield anymore.


Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
My 87
Posted Image

#4 ucw458

ucw458

    This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,389 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colorado
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:17 PM

I re-did the tips that came on the muffler.  They were too short and it was gonna melt the bumper.  So I added about 5" to each one and I think it came out great.  I've never been a fan of the single large fart cannon look.  So replicating the stock exhaust with x2 3" tips seemed appropriate.


Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
My 87
Posted Image

#5 ucw458

ucw458

    This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

  • Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,389 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Colorado
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:17 PM

Got the downpipe all finished up.  Welded in the wastegate, O2 sensor bung and a bracket on the bottom.  Now the downpipe shares the passenger side trans bellhousing bolt.  So like alot of other cars now the downpipe is ridgid and all flex will be handled by the flex section and the rubber exhaust hangers.  When I was done I wrapped it in headder wrap.  I may have gone overboard on the clamps but I had them on a shelf so why not.  I still need a blanket for the hotside.

Posted Image

Posted Image




To get the oil drain to work I added a 1/2" spacer to a stock SQ oil drain pipe and put a slightly sharper bend in it.  After brazing it together, test fitting and making clearances it fits.  Very tight fit but it works.  And since This turbo is mounted higher I can use the stock drain location on the timing cover.  I prefer to use the stock location since it drains onto the chains in the cover.  Plenty of lube there can't be bad for improving timing component life.

Posted Image

Posted Image
My 87
Posted Image




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users