TBI Leaking from top, at rubber seal...pics included to show where

83Starion-11

I have a stock 83' which was running great for 5 years, and all of a sudden, my fuel stars to leak out of the TBI...literally coming out like a sprinkler...

I have taken apart the entire TBI and replaced the gaskets, but there seems to be a ton of pressure on top causing it to spew from the rubber seal...does anyone know why there may be pressure? I have attached a picture, it is the rubber seal on the outside there which I know goes inside, and it is leaking very badly when turning the car over...why is there so much pressure in there to begin with? Could I have bad injectors?

-Andrew

post-17343-0-06621700-1394410267_thumb.jpg

There is supposed to be 36 psi pressure, I take it there is. 83's are unique, I have no experience, but I'd start with the o-rings on the top of the injectors.

Your picture doesn't make it very clear as to where the fuel is leaking from, can you indicate it somehow?

If the problem occurred suddenly, I would bet it's the injectors themselves that have begun to leak, specifically where the wiring enters them. There isn't really an easy fix for this, unfortunately.

Ya sorry, it is right where the wires are going into the TBI for the injectors :/ I am not sure what to do from here...and I have replaced all O-rings on injectors...I read that if the injectors are plugged or bad it can cause pressure to build up and blow out the top?

You might need to replace more o-rings than just the ones on the injectors.

http://prozac.orconhosting.net.nz/eciguide/rebuild.html

I'd suggest it's either the 56mm o-ring, or the injectors themselves. I really hope it's the o-ring, as finding good early style injectors is nigh on impossible.

• 2 weeks later...