#1 jwmact

jwmact

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:06 PM

SQC,

I am not sure where to post this, so I guess I would put it under items wanted, as the item I need is "help"! Lol.

To make a LONG story short, my conquest has been in and out of shops over the past 6 years. I just pulled it from the latest "shop", and the car is running worse than it was when I dropped it off. What I need is someone in the NC area who may be willing to help me get the engine/turbo configured properly. The turbo has been upgraded, engine has been rebuilt. I can try to provide a list (as best as possible) to someone who may be able to help.

I am not a mechanic, and am completely new to turbos. If anyone can help, or knows of someone who can, OR can recommend a reputable shop in the NC area (the closer to Raleigh the better), I am open to all options.

Thanks

#2 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 10:21 PM

Give us details on your car.  

TBI or MPI?
Stock ecu or stand alone?

#3 87redcat

87redcat

10 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,071 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, having the wife tell you its about time you finished MY car...

Posted 14 January 2020 - 05:24 AM

Dont forget what turbo you have, mods to rebuilt engine, stock or aftermarket injectors, exhaust. Pretty much everything done to the drive train.
Thanks
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#4 BC_99

BC_99

Plays in traffic

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,295 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:22 AM

Theres quite a few guys in the Charlotte area. I dont know of anyone up your way. There used to be a guy around Henderson, but I think he sold his car and stuff off. Your best bet would be to work out a deal with one of the Charlotte guys and bring the car to them. 95% of shops wont know what to do with your car. There is a shop in Denver,NC by Lake Norman that is run by a fella thats familiar with them. Its called Mass Acceleration Motorsports. Ask for a guy that goes by "G".

BC
Steering coupler replacement U-Joints are available here...
http://www.starquest...howtopic=145280

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:49 PM

Here is the OP's issue:

Here is everything (as best as I can remember):

Year: 1987 Conquest
Engine: G54B (Rebuilt two years ago)
ECU: Currently stock. I believe I need to purchase a stand-alone unit. I sent a message to scott87star about purchasing an ECU from him.
Turbo: Purchased Complete Turbo Kit from Ebay (I know, don't kill me :unsure: ). Kit included everything (turbo, waste gate, blow off valve, turbo lines, front mount intercooler, etc). Had it installed by mechanic about two years ago. Need to see what the actual brand name of part(s) are.

Most recent mechanic installed MAF sensor. Also installed wide band and boost gauge. Still in need of fuel pressure gauge. I can send pics later today.

Fuel Injectors: Currently stock. Purchased Trilogy injectors, but they yet to be installed. The last mechanic was set to install, but stated I needed a new clutch before they can do tuning and install injectors.

Other items: New piping and exhaust, New Radiator, plugs and wires

As for the car itself, it starts well but once I get past 30 miles per hour the car starts to hesitate and sputter severely. I cannot get the car past 40 miles an hour. It could be something as simple as a vacuum line, or something major. I am not sure where to even start to diagnose the problem.  

Any info you can provide would be a huge help!!

Thanks,
Jerry

#6 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,446 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:54 PM

Ill list some things it may be:

1. Stock fuel injectors at stock fuel pressure will not supply enough fuel for your turbo. Im assuming its a T3/T4 since it was a EBAY kit....You are going very lean when trying to accelerate. Look at your AFR on the wideband and tell us what is the reading while you try to accelerate past 40mph....

2. Secondary injector is bad, so you will struggle to go over 3k rpms. It doesnt add fuel until around 3000rpm....

3. Vacuum advance is bad. It isn't adjusting the timing when you start to get under boost, so it bucks and kicks.

Your wideband should give you a good indicator of what is happening. Its good you have one, so lets use it.

#7 Vnomous1

Vnomous1

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Interests:Obviously some sick addiction to these automobiles!

Posted 15 January 2020 - 08:30 AM

Contact Kevin Blakely. He is in Raleigh, and has a shop.

blakey2000
Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Mechanic, Advice, NC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users