new 87 conquest owner. car is a gonner!?

rabman369

I am in need of some guidance here lol. As of now my car is completely disassembled. I kind of got stiffed on it but here's the story. I got this car and only had it for about three days. Drove it a couple times for short periods around the block and never even took it over 5000rpm. The last time I drove it the oil pressure seemed to have reduced but it didn't seem catastrophic. The car was parked for a few days and I decided to install the new lifters that were given to me with the car so after I did that and put it all back together with a fresh oil change of 10/40 there was no oil pressure at all. I started investigating trying to troubleshoot the cause and not having much luck. Finally we said screw it and removed the oil filter and cranked it to find 0 oil coming from the oil filter housing.

Pulled the oil pan to check a main and rod bearing. Both looked terrible. Pulled the entire engine and disassembled it to find the thrust bearing completely grinded. There was like .065 of end play in the crank from how much material was ground from both the tbearing and the crank itself. What could have caused all of this?

The last owner put in a new clutch before I got the car and my thoughts were maybe he did it wrong or something and the throwout was mashing the crank into the thrust bearing? Idk. The rear thrust surface of the crank is the parr that got damaged. The front surfaces are normal

Maybe he didn't know what he was doing?? If the clearances aren"t right it will heat up and bind up...u need to get a new oil sending unit they don't last 25 years.. Mine worked 2 weeks than quit,,but oil pump was still pumping oil and gauge showed nothing ......just throwing out ideas............rock auto has new ones for a good price..........

Thanks guys! How bad of a rear main seal groove in the crank should be considered aaceptable? I have a crank available locally for a good price thats .010 and its got what i feel like is quite a grove there but i hear its common and somewhat tolerable but need a little insight on how much so. Maybe pictures of too much next to pictures of an acceptable amount or something?

Also, my oil pump drive chain on my BSEK that was pre installed seems quite loose. Even with the tensioner piece on the bottom. Id say like... maybe a whole inch of play lol idk. Maybe a visual example of what to loose would look like? I cant find any info on this. Idk if its normal for some to be a little more loose than others or if mine just stretched like crazy or something

That does sound too loose. Does the chain appear to run parallel with the block? It is possible to reverse the gears and get everything mounted. The chain will run at an angle and maybe that would stretch it.

I've put the sleeves on cranks if I can catch my fingernail in the groove. Not very scientific, :)