• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Interests:Wrenching,Fishing,Bicycling, and collecting old school vinyl!!
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 01 April 2019 - 07:41 AM

View Postucw458, on 31 March 2019 - 10:23 PM, said:

Use the + side factory ignition coil wire.  It's key on hot that comes straight from the ignition switch and doesn't go through the ECI relay.  Use that wire for relay activation + and your fan controller for the - side of the relay.  I wouldn't run anything directly off the coil+ wire.
I'm just a tad bit confused on this comment. You recommended using the + and - side of the coil wire, but then said you wouldn't run anything directly off the + coil wire.
Are saying to actually tap into those two wires coming directly off the coil for relay activation or to use eyelets and actually bolt them to the + and - sides of the coil for the relay activation?

Attached Files

Edited by 81zfan, 01 April 2019 - 07:51 AM.

88 conquest, .30 over block,Bs eliminated, M28 head ,17c turbo,Ottowerks shifter bushing, Lower Shores Braided lines and TB parts, Boostinmini TPS conversion kit,Optional Methanol Kit "when hooked up",Custom 2.5 Intercooler Piping,3 inch Downpipe, Gasket Ported Intake and Exhaust Manifold, Manual steering conversion,ACT HD clutch, Ebay knock off GReedy BOV,put car on a diet "lost between 590-620 lbs", Super AFC, AEM wideband, Glowshift Boost,Fuel Pressure, and Coolant Temp gauges, ARP Head and Rod bolts/Studs, Walbro 255.... In the process of adding more !

#22 ucw458

ucw458

This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,611 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:03 AM

Only the + side of the ignition coil is used for key on hot.  The - side of the coil is pulsed on/off by the ignition system.  You don't want to mess with that side.

Every relay has switch contacts and a coil/electromagnet that does the switching.  Usually indicated by a spiraling line between two contacts on the relay diagram.  One side of the relay coil gets 12v+ from the ignition coil.  The other side of the relay coil goes to your temp switch.  The temp switch should be connected to ground so it can switch the ground on and off.  The switched contacts of the relay go to battery + and the fan.

When I say don't run directly off the coil +, I'm saying don't connect your fan or any significant load directly to the ignition coil +.  Use the ignition coil + for relay activation and let the relay handle the current.  Relays switch contacts should get their power from the battery.

Your diagram has the thermostat switching the +.  There are 2 ways to switch on a circuit, switching the + or the ground.  Either way is acceptable.  On SQs 99% is switched ground.  Only things like headlights and fans are switched +.
My 87
Posted Image

#23 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:39 AM

I really appreciate all that.
This was the diagram they sent with the fan kit, so I wasnít sure on a couple things as Iíve never used one of those Thermostats.
I think Iíve got it pretty much figured out now With the help you provided.
88 conquest, .30 over block,Bs eliminated, M28 head ,17c turbo,Ottowerks shifter bushing, Lower Shores Braided lines and TB parts, Boostinmini TPS conversion kit,Optional Methanol Kit "when hooked up",Custom 2.5 Intercooler Piping,3 inch Downpipe, Gasket Ported Intake and Exhaust Manifold, Manual steering conversion,ACT HD clutch, Ebay knock off GReedy BOV,put car on a diet "lost between 590-620 lbs", Super AFC, AEM wideband, Glowshift Boost,Fuel Pressure, and Coolant Temp gauges, ARP Head and Rod bolts/Studs, Walbro 255.... In the process of adding more !

#24 81zfan

81zfan

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 06:39 PM

Finally got the fan wired in and set pretty close to the temp it needs to be at. The 16inch fan seems to keep it a lot cooler than the factory fans that was in it. When pulling the factory fan relays and wiring out, I found the fan problem...It was a broken wire inside the harness between the Radiator and core support. Thanks for all the help on this guys, Glad to mark something else off the list finally.

Edited by 81zfan, 01 April 2019 - 06:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users