• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 boostinmini

boostinmini

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Interests:G54b, 4G63, anything mitsubishi especially pre 2000s, custom fabrication and mountain biking.
  • Model:Other

Posted 20 March 2019 - 07:29 AM

Just wondering if any one has ever used offset bushings in there g54b to adjust cam timing?

Looks like a simple solution if they fit

#2 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,009 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:24 AM

Yes, a former member, Richie Rich, did just that years back with off the shelf comp cams offset bushings.  Most of the adjustable cam gears made up for these engines are two piece.  Most modify the factory gear by adding slots and opening up the center hole to accept an aluminum disk with tapped holes.  This one was obtained from an former member in canada, Shawn Silva

Posted Image

#3 boostinmini

boostinmini

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts
  • Interests:G54b, 4G63, anything mitsubishi especially pre 2000s, custom fabrication and mountain biking.

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:38 PM

That's awesome, i am thinking that i am going to try a bushing...i would like to be able to drill it with out removing the gear??  Looks pretty basic if you can drill straight.

Seems like the gear might be a little tricky to remove on an assembled engine

#4 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,174 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers
  • Model:Starion

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:42 PM

Honestly, the gear isn't hard to take off and you definitely do NOT want to be drilling anything while attached to the engine. It would be almost impossible to ensure you don't get metal shavings all over.

Edited by speedyquest, 21 March 2019 - 12:45 PM.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#5 boostinmini

boostinmini

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:47 PM

Definitely think I can drill that without making a mess in the engine that's not a concern but you think it's pretty easy to swap in a gear on an assembled engine?

#6 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 12:48 PM

View Postboostinmini, on 21 March 2019 - 12:47 PM, said:

Definitely think I can drill that without making a mess in the engine that's not a concern but you think it's pretty easy to swap in a gear on an assembled engine?

It definitely is. I've done it. And in a few weeks I'll be doing it again when I swap over to an adjustable cam gear, cam, and mechanical rockers. Does your head still have the cam gear shelf installed? Basically just unbolt the cam gear, set it there, and your fine. Taking it off out of the engine is fine too, just ensure you don't let slack into the left side of your timing chain.

Edited by speedyquest, 21 March 2019 - 12:49 PM.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

#7 boostinmini

boostinmini

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:17 PM

Still have the cam shelf!  There is enough slack in the chain to get the gear or with the head on?

#8 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:18 PM

View Postboostinmini, on 21 March 2019 - 01:17 PM, said:

Still have the cam shelf!  There is enough slack in the chain to get the gear or with the head on?

Yessir :)

Posted Image

#9 boostinmini

boostinmini

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:34 PM

Do i have to get down the timing cover and push the tensioner in?

#10 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,174 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 01:44 PM

View Postboostinmini, on 21 March 2019 - 01:34 PM, said:

Do i have to get down the timing cover and push the tensioner in?

Not that I remember and its because the cam gear shelf is a bit lower than the cam gear while its on the cam. As you pull the cam gear forward off the cam make sure to also hold chain so it stays up. Then lower the gear out of the chain. Again make sure to keep tension on the chain so it doesn't become loose on the crank gear.

Posted Image

#11 mikec

mikec

not around much any more

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,334 posts
  • Interests:Finish line at the Pikes Peak "Race to the Clouds"

Posted 21 March 2019 - 11:06 PM

One thing to remember with "offset" pins: the stock StarQuest pin ties THREE things together: the camshaft itself, the sprocket, and the stubby shaft that drives the distributor.  Make sure your offset pin is long enough to reach all three pieces - most are designed to connect sprockets to camshafts only and would be too short for StarQuests.  Making the cam sprocket two-part and adjustable as Kev's picture shows allows the stock style roll pin to handle all three pieces.

mike c.

#12 boostinmini

boostinmini

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 22 March 2019 - 12:37 AM

Thanks Mike c very true, i have edis so my distributor gear is just along for the ride

I do have a actual adjustable gear, was just thinking it might not be possible to do in a assembled engine

#13 ucw458

ucw458

This will mean the extinction of all life forms on this planet.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,611 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 01 April 2019 - 10:31 AM

I used chevy offset bushings on an aftermarket cam I used to run in my SQ.  There are 5 issues to consider.

1 the pin has to be long enough, stable and strong.  I used the cut off end of a 1/4" drill bit and tack welded it to the dizzy gear.
2 you will have to drill the cam and dizzy gear holes out to 1/4".  And the cam gear to accept the bushing.  Make sure this is the way you want to go because it isn't reversible.
3 the bushing is meant for a different engine.  It will NOT give you fine adjustment.  A 2 deg bushing will give you around 10 deg of movement.  I had to have the timing chain 1 tooth off then a bushing to bring it back just to get the proper adjustment.
4 you MUST degree the cam with this method after every bushing change to see where the cam is.
5 a bushing change will require the cam gear to be removed.  A proper adjustable gear does not need to be removed to adjust.

Would I do it this way again, no.  I would buy the proper adjustable cam gear.

Also you must put a 1" bar down the timing cover between the chain where the tensioner is.  If you don't then when you remove the gear the tensioner will pop out and you wont be able to get the gear back on until you compress the tensioner again.  I used a large file wrapped in electrical tape.  A 1" wide wood stick would work too.
My 87
Posted Image

#14 Tim_C.

Tim_C.

Addicted Starquester

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,106 posts
  • Interests:Serving Our Lord Jesus Christ!

Posted 08 April 2019 - 12:11 AM

I'm with ucw458 on this one. I've used a bushing before. It worked for a while, but after about 20K miles, I took it apart to put another cam in, and the bushing hole was worn larger.
It just seems too much hassel and potentially harmful. I would do an adjustable gear, or not at all.
'87TSi .510Roller Cam, JE Forged, TS Rings & plateau honed walls, lightened rods, race prepped crank, mains line honed, balanced, 17C, 3"EX, 2"HardPipes, AlFly, rrfpr, 88trans, 3.90's w/posi plate mods, polyBushings, STSprings, KYBStruts, Camber Plates, CustomAlternator
Traded for new set of tires for my wife's Buick: '87 TSI Gold that needs just about all steering and suspension parts replaced, injectors, a new transmission, clutch, and various electrical gremlins. New owner is a mechanic who is already driving it. I couldn't stand letting it sit any more!
'86 ESiR - OEM Roller Cam, Wiseco Forged 8:1 Pistons, Chad's equal length header, TEP T3/T4 turbo, ACT HD clutch, Fidanza Fly, custom 3" exhaust, 3 core oversized radiator, O-ringed block, AJUSA metal shim head gasket, Dawes Device boost controller
'85 Plymouth Conquest Auto , Wiseco 8:1, super light pins, shaved rods, hi-torque cam, 2.5 Exhaust
'84 Dodge Conquest Parts car
'83 Starion - Gutted stock exhaust with '87 TSi muffler, New engine with: BS Elim,forged Wisecos,balanced,Schneider274H,marnal w/oversized stainless valves
'83 Cannonball Run II Jackie Chan car, Basic ring and bearing job w/less than 6K original miles on body, steering, suspension, & rear end, Lightened stock fly, BS Elim, Walbro 255LPH FP, NEW Clearwater head with all new parts, intercooled, 14G turbo, 2750 car weight
'96 Mitsu Mirage w/rebuilt head. Gets 35+MPG.
'87 Dodge Ram50 4WD Rebuilt engine, fresh stock head, Weber carbed, BS elim. Runs great now!
'97 Buick Ultra (supercharged Park Avenue)

#15 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,737 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 11:55 AM

Adjustable cam sprocket is the way to go. Get yourself one, a 9" degree wheel, make your own piston stop, and a get a dial indicator. Degreeing the cam isn't difficult to do and you'll actually have it where it needs to be.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users