• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TxStig

TxStig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:26 PM

As the topic states I am still searching for Spark.

Quick Rundown -

Fuel Pump relay under dash - replaced and confirmed to be working. Used the pump to pump out the old fuel and replace with fresh via the 12v pump test connection

4 New Spark Plugs fitted
New NGK Plug Wires fitted

Pulled and checked distributor alignment - Though it may be 180'd pulling the valve cover to double check its a new cap and rotor and stator
but it should still spark right?

Coil - have both a stock and aftermarket one - both of them OHM out correctly across +/- and High tension to +/- so I am using the stock one for now

ECI Fusible connection - checked and it has 0 Ohms across it

89 Ignitor Box Wired in - So this right now is one of the parts I am not 100% on. Basically it did not come with a pigtail. So I cut and fitted new plugs myself.
There is a picture of the side by side of the 88/89 pigtail to an 87 elsewhere in a similar thread  and while I followed that its not perfectly clear and only a couple of wires like the blue/white
appear to be in the same place. Does anybody have a picture of their 88/89 pigtail hooked up so I can see where they go?

It looks as though one of the vacuum hoses is currently just open also - will not having vacuum advance connected affect it even when trying to start?
Just discovered this last night so have not made a hose to block it off with yet

Basically I have performed and followed most of the recommendations to get spark and still nothing. I just want to get the engine to fire before deciding which direction to go.
If I cannot get the engine to fire then its absolutely going to be strip down and prep for different engine time.

Anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks!

TxStig

#2 scott87star

scott87star

Technically Challenged, Daily.

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,939 posts
  • Interests:Freezing, thawing, thunderstorms and constant wind.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 14 May 2018 - 12:40 PM

It should still spark, I have had coils fail that ohmed out within spec so you can't dismiss that but the most likely culprit is the knock box and/or its wiring.  You can find the connector pinouts in the FSM, http://www.starquestgarage.com
Now selling true plug and play megasquirt!  Absolutely the best value in stand alone ECU's out there.

I can upgrade your Fuel Injection Pro firmware

Performance Coatings!  Pistons, manifolds, bearings and more!

Now a graduate of EFI University!  www.efi101.com

ECU Vendor link:  http://www.starquest...howtopic=137426

#3 TxStig

TxStig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:54 PM

View Postscott87star, on 14 May 2018 - 12:40 PM, said:

It should still spark, I have had coils fail that ohmed out within spec so you can't dismiss that but the most likely culprit is the knock box and/or its wiring.  You can find the connector pinouts in the FSM, http://www.starquestgarage.com

It doesn't have the connector pin outs for the 88/89 Knock box itself only the connector that connects to it at least as far as I can see?

Thanks,

#4 scott87star

scott87star

Technically Challenged, Daily.

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,939 posts
  • Interests:Freezing, thawing, thunderstorms and constant wind.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:28 PM

Ah, not sure I understand, the connector that connects to it would be the pin out?  I mean you can trace every wire to where it goes, the connector shown is the connector end (not the knock box end) so you are correct there.  What am I missing?  You will have to compare it to an earlier knock box since I'm assuming you upgraded to the 88-89.  You can use the 86 wire harness diagram for that.
Now selling true plug and play megasquirt!  Absolutely the best value in stand alone ECU's out there.

I can upgrade your Fuel Injection Pro firmware

Performance Coatings!  Pistons, manifolds, bearings and more!

Now a graduate of EFI University!  www.efi101.com

ECU Vendor link:  http://www.starquest...howtopic=137426

#5 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:41 PM

Did you have same issue before you switched to 89 knock box? What year car ?

Edited by croquest87, 14 May 2018 - 08:44 PM.

#6 TxStig

TxStig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:57 AM

View Postcroquest87, on 14 May 2018 - 08:41 PM, said:

Did you have same issue before you switched to 89 knock box? What year car ?

Its an 87 - and yes there was no spark previously and the recommended solution was the new knock box. As stated I went ahead and replaced most of what I could. Maybe I got another bad knock box? That just seems unlikely.

So basically because the knock box I purchased did not come with a pigtail I had to wire a new connector on. I used the picture from the other knock box thread which showed the pigtail connector and the 87 connector side by side

http://www.starquest...showtopic=38951

So while I am pretty certain I wired it correctly as I have checked the closed circuit loops for the distributor signal generators I do not know 100% that it is correct as the picture is kind of hard to make out and the wires switch colors in some instances as they travel across the connection on the 89 knock box.

Basically if somebody would take a picture of their 88/89 knock box connected to an 88/89 pigtail with the wires showing that would just confirm that my wiring is correct. I'd also prefer to not have to hunt down JUST a pigtail as I am sure not many people are willing to separate.

I'm pretty good at reading and understanding wiring schematics and have traced most everything. The guy did put a brand new different distributor on but for the most part its a match for the old stock one.

#7 TxStig

TxStig

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:07 PM

Thanks to DJPowerHaus and who kindly sent me a pigtail and knock box for a great deal the car is now running. Starts, Idles sounds like a box of spanners...but hey at least she starts. Not to do the rest of the maintenance!

#8 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,025 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 09 June 2018 - 04:58 PM

Glad you fixed it!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Knock Box, Pigtail, Got Fuel

1 user(s) are reading this topic