Considering this 16G turbo from MK1...opinions?

natallica

As some of you may know, I tried to rebuild a 16G a few months ago and something was awry and it detonated itself in less than 2 hours. My 12A that I'm currently running is on it's last leg as well. I'm looking for an inexpensive replacement and I stumbled on this.

Mookeeh MK1 16G on eBay.

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/ff408/n8tallica1/KGrHqFiEE1K8q0fFRBNYH1yTGCQ_12.jpg

I don't race/hot dog/drift/run the piss out of ...or even get it sideways. I'd just like a turbo for my auto that pulls well and could possibly keep up if some ricer pulls up next to me on the interstate, just so I don't look like a total shlub.

Do any of you have experience with these...and/or what would need to be done with it if I currently have a ported hot/cold side of a stock TD05H in boxes in the garage.

Just looking for ideas, even if it's a POS, I'd like to know before I decide to buy one.

But keep in mind, I have a very small budget (like most of us). I like hearing recommendations... but telling me "It's a POS, you need this $1500 turbo like I have, it runs great" won't help me any. :)

I know you normally "get what you pay for" but I don't plan on Dyno-ing this car or anything so I'd just like something decent for my daily driver.

Thanks in advance guys,

-N8

It's a chinese DSM 16g

The downpipe flange is different. It will bolt to the SQ mani though. You will need the DSM turbo outlet adaptor. If you want to try it I have the same one here with minimal shaft play and missing the actuator. I may even have a DP flange for it. It came with a car I bought. I've never run it. Yours for $50 + flat rate shipping if you want it.

http://store.forcedp...&Category_Code=

BAM slap a new chra in that bad boy and go to town, call forced performance first and give them your wheel specs so you get the proper CHRA

Unfortunately I've been told the china 16g is not exactly the same as the MHI 16g. The china comp wheel is slightly smaller. The MHI wheel may not fit in the china housing. Louiswheel has run both and he told me the china one is different. He also claimed the china 16g will spool slightly slower than the MHI 16g.

But I have heard the MHI rebuild kits will fit the china turbo. I have no personal experience with rebuilding a china turbo that is just what I heard.

N8, if you want a good all round alternative to a 12a, look for a 14g.

I scored one on Ebay a couple of years ago along with it's manifold (it's a tiny bit bigger but your 12a one can be machined to fit the 14g)

I bolted it onto my '86, added a K D M downpipe, HKS FCD and a MBC set at 14lbs.

Have had more grins per mile than you shake a stick at with this setup! :D

Colin B)

Edited by carguygibby

That's extremely cheap and I would be very cautious of that (it prob. is a China version), but MK1 has a pretty well established presence here with many parts for our cars. I can't see him screwing you over. You might get what you pay for, but that's super cheap - why not try it?

I can say that Forced Performance did the small 16g upgrade to my 12a in the past and it was a very very peppy turbo upgrade. I did the hardpipes & 3" exh. to match and also had it ported to max skinny (see pics in my footer link). It spooled 15psi by 2500rpms if not sooner, but was lacking for top end or highway power. If comparable, this will be real fun from stoplights and in town driving.

Thanks for the input so far, I appreciate it.

But, if I already have a modified hot and cold side from the detonated 16G, would I just be able to swap out the center section (with shaft and wheel of this new one) and use my other parts?

I know it probably sounds pointless but it'd be a sort of "Frankenstein-Turbo" (coined a new phrase :))

The car currently has chrome MK1 hard pipes going to/from the 12A and a DP leading to a stock-ish exhaust

-N8

Thanks for the input so far, I appreciate it.

But, if I already have a modified hot and cold side from the detonated 16G, would I just be able to swap out the center section (with shaft and wheel of this new one) and use my other parts?

I know it probably sounds pointless but it'd be a sort of "Frankenstein-Turbo" (coined a new phrase :))

The car currently has chrome MK1 hard pipes going to/from the 12A and a DP leading to a stock-ish exhaust

-N8

Chinesium. That turbo, that is center section can be used. But compared to an OEM 16G,

Chinesium turbos will spool later. Maybe exhaust and compressor wheels are made of cheap material or maybe it's that they are slightly bigger than an OEM unit.

So yes, center section can be used, but you may need to watch for compressor/exhaust wheel clearance on OEM 16G hot and cold side.