Feeler: NikoFab Windshield Wiper Cowl: Official Group Buy Thread Posted

NikoFab

UPDATE 6/22/15

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag71/Nikofab/Imposed_zpsood8whpt.png

http://i1299.photobucket.com/albums/ag71/Nikofab/Schematic_zps9fhtqwqy.png

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE 2/27/15: Ok gang...a little update for you guys. I've priced out new wiper cowls for other applications/vehicles out there and have found pricing for most two-piece configurations to fall between $120 to $235. Keep in mind that the ones I'm able to find are usually produced in extremely large runs numbering in the thousands, which brings down per-unit cost considerably. Our little community doesn't quite have that buying power/leverage, which presents a little difficulty on our end. But after crunching numbers, I believe I can get this project to fall in the $175.00 range for a brand new set of cowls, which will also include mounting accessories/hardware. I would need to order a minimum of (60) sixty units to achieve this estimated pricing. Shipping would be an additional cost as per usual.

So, providing you're happy with the eventual prototype, who's game at this price point?

Cheers and Thanks,

Nick

NikoFab

nick@nikofab.com

1. TheDemon

2. conquestador89

3. wolfsquest

4. BOHO

5. sellerfeller

6. hopefull noob

7. natedog_37

8. pcristquester

9. psu_Crash

10. BillS

11. BC_99 (set 1)

12. BC_99 (set 2)

13. aknorthstar

14. lionbull

15. scott87star

16. skillz

17. CarlosFley

18. KIDMEN

19. gtxthunder

20. autotr8er2

21. needsq

22. Speedy2222

23. 4cylFury

24. mechengrkj

25. ls1rx7 (set 1)

26. Chromedome

27. ls1rx7 (set 2)

28. Nightcall

29. JohnnyWadd

30. Jeremy_C

31. twojayzeestarion (set one)

32. twojayzeestarion (set two)

33. twojayzeestarion (set three)

34. mr-starion

35. G54Bstore

36. Mach 5

37. bflann

38. PDodson

39. FRO

40. quikconq

41. silverarrow89

42. mooser83

43. Shaggy_TSi

44. jonboyb

45. 87-88-89

46. Diamondjoe

47. kidjc

48. AlaskaConquest (set one)

49. AlaskaConquest (set two)

50. Jetspd150 (set one)

51. Jetspd150 (set two)

52. taeisallin

Edited by NikoFab
  • Like 1

I have an interest... always wondered if a "(1) piece cowl" could be achieved? Will it have some sort of a windshield sealer strip? Thanx

I have an interest... always wondered if a "(1) piece cowl" could be achieved? Will it have some sort of a windshield sealer strip? Thanx

I thought about that Jerry...still looking into it. Right off the bat...I know that shipping would be much greater for a one-piece.

Nick

I thought about that Jerry...still looking into it. Right off the bat...I know that shipping would be much greater for a one-piece.

Nick

I think it's just under oversized Nick, & it'd surely be light, correct? How much could that be? What about the sealant strip? I know BC_99 used some sort of cut form, tape sided I think when he redid his cowls? Just be nice & tight as a (1) piece. Although... maybe... it needs the flex? Any idea of the material?

I think it's just under oversized Nick, & it'd surely be light, correct? How much could that be? What about the sealant strip? I know BC_99 used some sort of cut form, tape sided I think when he redid his cowls? Just be nice & tight as a (1) piece. Although... maybe... it needs the flex? Any idea of the material?

Hi Jerry,

Well the airdam is over-sized...and Tim's chin-spoilers are considered over-sized. Since this piece would be essentially the same length (if one piece), I'm pretty confident it would be considered over-sized as well. Unfortunately on over-sized items, weight is a non-factor. Shipping companies use a system called "dimensional weight" when dealing with over-sized packages.

I will look into what TPO would run, but it's going to require one, if not two molds (expensive). ABS I think would scratch too easily. I have an interesting idea up my sleeve regarding using sheet metal...something similar to the gauge of what I used for the mounting brackets on the rear hatch spoilers. Strong enough to be strong...but thin enough to keep costs down. I can also use the same water jet to cut the strakes and vents. The sealant strip would be easy enough once the prototype is done...I would just need to account for spacing dynamics.

Nick

Edit: I hate using the term sheetmetal. These will be a mill-finished steel just like the mounting brackets I used on the rear hatch spoiler mounts.

Edited by NikoFab

I knew this would be your next mission if you choose to accept, these cowls are "black gold" now in our lil world , i have spares that i won't part with , i really need to pm/reply you Nick , been busy trying to stay in business , work comes first , if you need a nice set to copy i will happily provide them for copying purposes . :) Edited by SOTTY

I knew this would be your next mission if you choose to accept, these cowls are "black gold" now in our lil world , i have spares that i won't part with , i really need to pm/reply you Nick , been busy trying to stay in business , work comes first , if you need a nice set to copy i will happily provide them for copying purposes . :)

What's up Scotty Gibb?!

I've actually got two good sets on my two cars (got lucky I guess)...but thanks so much for offer sir!

Nick

You know I'm in for this one.

Possible idea for this piece: Make it less ugly than the stock piece by leaving out all those little vanes. A smoothed out panel would look killer in my opinion; gets rid of unnecessary lines in the area ;)

What's up Scotty Gibb?!

I've actually got two good sets on my two cars (got lucky I guess)...but thanks so much for offer sir!

Nick

Remove drivers side first man ! and do it ever so carefully then the other side :)

You know I'm in for this one.

Possible idea for this piece: Make it less ugly than the stock piece by leaving out all those little vanes. A smoothed out panel would look killer in my opinion; gets rid of unnecessary lines in the area ;)

That's exactly along the lines I was thinking. ;)

Hi Jerry,

Well the airdam is over-sized...and Tim's chin-spoilers are considered over-sized. Since this piece would be essentially the same length (if one piece), I'm pretty confident it would be considered over-sized as well. Unfortunately on over-sized items, weight is a non-factor. Shipping companies use a system called "dimensional weight" when dealing with over-sized packages.

I will look into what TPO would run, but it's going to require one, if not two molds (expensive). ABS I think would scratch too easily. I have an interesting idea up my sleeve regarding using sheet metal...something similar to the gauge of what I used for the mounting brackets on the rear hatch spoilers. Strong enough to be strong...but thin enough to keep costs down. I can also use the same water jet to cut the strakes and vents. The sealant strip would be easy enough once the prototype is done...I would just need to account for spacing dynamics.

Nick

Edit: I hate using the term sheetmetal. These will be a mill-finished steel just like the mounting brackets I used on the rear hatch spoiler mounts.

I sorta like the "metals" idea... anodized aluminum, swirl finish, all kinds of possibilities here! ;)