Welp, the Starion is a CA historical Vehicle now

leesfer

In texas they are called antique plates.They are good for 5 years and no state inspection.My 88 will qualify next year.

supposed to be a non daily driver .

In VA you pay $50 once and never pay for inspection or registration again. Evar.

Except you can't drive it like a normal car. only for a pleasure cruise, no farther than 250miles from your house, and to car shows, mechanics, and to diagnose/inspect proper operation.

If you are caught driving it all the time, IE: a cop sees you every day driving 15miles away a number of days straight.. you will lose your tags and you will not be allowed to register that car for 5years.

Yeah but the most important part (for me being in California) is that it makes you smog exempt

My car isn't even close to being a daily driver so these plates work great for me, I can do whatever I want to the motor and keep it street legal for taking out every once and a while

1st page of the application section E first paragraph.

http://apps.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg17a.pdf

I also certify that the vehicle for which these plates are issued may be driven in historical exhibitions, parades, or historic club activities only.

Searching through the vehicle code gives me a headache. But you can bet there are some serious penalties for abusing that plate. Especially since one site claims that plate exempts you from smog tests.

1st page of the application section E first paragraph.

http://apps.dmv.ca.g.../reg/reg17a.pdf

Searching through the vehicle code gives me a headache. But you can bet there are some serious penalties for abusing that plate. Especially since one site claims that plate exempts you from smog tests.

You are also allowed a number of miles per year to drive your car which is well under the number that I drive my Starion

I have a DD, and a secondary DD, then I have my Starion which goes out MAYBE a couple times a month

Edited by leesfer

What are the fees associated with it? Do you still have to pay for registration every year? How many miles a year are you allowed to drive on the streets? My reg. is about to expire and not sure if I will pass smog, definitly want to go this route. Not sure if you will know but can I take this form to the AAA office that has DMV services? Lastly, is there a list where it shows what cars qualify as Historical Vehicles?

What are the fees associated with it? Do you still have to pay for registration every year? How many miles a year are you allowed to drive on the streets? My reg. is about to expire and not sure if I will pass smog, definitly want to go this route. Not sure if you will know but can I take this form to the AAA office that has DMV services? Lastly, is there a list where it shows what cars qualify as Historical Vehicles?

You still have to pay registration fees but they are less than normal registration

I believe it is either 1,500 or 2,500 miles per year

No you cannot do this at AAA, I tried... you have to go in to the DMV and then have your papers mailed to the headquarters

No, there's no list, it's up to their discretion really

Sounds pretty compareable to TX. I plan to get antique plates too, but since I haven't put more than 500 miles on it in over 2 years, I'm not worried about the limited mileage, and if I DO drive it, it's only to shows or to work on it, so I would deffinately be within their laws. I'll probably be switching to collector car insurance then too.

No, there's no list, it's up to their discretion really

in most states it's any car older than 25

I'll probably be switching to collector car insurance then too.

That's why I did it on my camaro, muuuch cheaper. Quest isn't old enough yet.

Roll up to local rotary club car meet with those and watch them fellows confused look on their face.

Why get those plates? Registration on a StarQuest is dirt cheap, no more than $80 a year, I think I paid $69 for this years. Drive it anywhere.

Insurance is also dirt cheap on them. Except if you git a teenage driver in your policy, than you get bent.

Roll up to local rotary club car meet with those and watch them fellows confused look on their face.

Why get those plates? Registration on a StarQuest is dirt cheap, no more than $80 a year, I think I paid $69 for this years. Drive it anywhere.

Insurance is also dirt cheap on them. Except if you git a teenage driver in your policy, than you get bent.

Because I don't want to deal with smog on a car I drive once a month

Because I don't want to deal with smog on a car I drive once a month

I hear that from people, but the StarQuest has been the least smog problematic car I've had.

Our 2005 Kia gave me a harder time at the smog station than the StarQuest. Even when I had it modified with k&n air filter, modified air box, 2.5 inch down pipe, one aftermarket cat and huge fart can, it still passed smog legit. Cost me $50 to smog it every two years.

The newer cars is where you get screwed, any little thing not in perfect working order and you fail.

I hear that from people, but the StarQuest has been the least smog problematic car I've had.

Our 2005 Kia gave me a harder time at the smog station than the StarQuest. Even when I had it modified with k&n air filter, modified air box, 2.5 inch down pipe, one aftermarket cat and huge fart can, it still passed smog legit. Cost me $50 to smog it every two years.

The newer cars is where you get screwed, any little thing not in perfect working order and you fail.

I'd probably go the normal route if my car had any of the smog stuff still on it when I got it but it was in pieces and I am doing a build that would most likely be rejected by any smog place on sight

I have no doubt I can tune it to pass smog but it's thejz visual test that I would rather avoid

Edited by leesfer

yup, mine definitely wont pass visually now..lol

i may go this rout. did you do it when registration was up? just walked into the dmv and asked for it? my car will be sitting quite a bit now since im all over the country. makes sence for me to go this route, then i wont have to worry about a crap ton of stuff, and make the car completely how i want it.

Here are the Maryland rules for Historic and Street Rod. With my "new" '87 I am pretty excited about getting street rod tags. My bicycle is my daily driver. Miata is 2nd, Zipcar is 3rd. I think I qualify for street rod considering half the parts are from other makes and models. Doesn't seem to have a mileage limit, just how it is being used. Would be pretty easy to just name a shop / meet / track in that general direction no matter which way I'm headed.

Historic:

• To qualify as a historic vehicle, your vehicle must not have been substantially altered, remodeled, or remanufactured from its original construction, and must be 20 model years or older.
  • A historic vehicle 60 years or older may obtain a one-time, permanent, non-transferable registration. This vehicle registration does not qualify for specialty plates.
  • Vehicles classified as historic certifies the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. You will need to fill out the Application for Historic or Street Rod Registration (form # VR-096).

Street Rod:

• To qualify as a street rod, your vehicle must be 25 years old or older and must have been substantially altered from the manufacturer's original design.
  • Vehicles classified as street rod certifies the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. You will need to fill out the Application for Historic or Street Rod Registration (form # VR-096).

Edited by DJpowerHaus

Here are the Maryland rules for Historic and Street Rod. With my "new" '87 I am pretty excited about getting street rod tags. My bicycle is my daily driver. Miata is 2nd, Zipcar is 3rd. I think I qualify for street rod considering half the parts are from other makes and models. Doesn't seem to have a mileage limit, just how it is being used. Would be pretty easy to just name a shop / meet / track in that general direction no matter which way I'm headed.

Historic:

• To qualify as a historic vehicle, your vehicle must not have been substantially altered, remodeled, or remanufactured from its original construction, and must be 20 model years or older.
  • A historic vehicle 60 years or older may obtain a one-time, permanent, non-transferable registration. This vehicle registration does not qualify for specialty plates.
  • Vehicles classified as historic certifies the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. You will need to fill out the Application for Historic or Street Rod Registration (form # VR-096).

Street Rod:

• To qualify as a street rod, your vehicle must be 25 years old or older and must have been substantially altered from the manufacturer's original design.
  • Vehicles classified as street rod certifies the vehicle will be maintained for use in exhibitions, club activities, parades, tours, occasional transportation and similar uses. The vehicle owner further certifies the vehicle will not be used for general daily transportation or primarily for the transportation of passengers or property on highways. You will need to fill out the Application for Historic or Street Rod Registration (form # VR-096).

The Street Rod sounds more what the Historical Vehicle is in California, but without having to be substantially altered

yup, mine definitely wont pass visually now..lol

i may go this rout. did you do it when registration was up? just walked into the dmv and asked for it? my car will be sitting quite a bit now since im all over the country. makes sence for me to go this route, then i wont have to worry about a crap ton of stuff, and make the car completely how i want it.

My car was never registered under while I owned it, when I purchased it the registration was expired and I started working on it parked in my driveway, eventually I went in to the DMV with all my filled out papers for these plates (mind you, the title hasn't even been transferred to my name yet)...

I had my papers sent back from the DMV in Sacramento twice during the process, the first time was because I forgot to initial a line and the second time they were requesting smog certificates. At this point I was a little frustrated because I went over with them in person at the DMV about it being smog exempt already so I took the papers and wrote "SMOG EXEMPT" in giant letters and mailed them back exactly as they returned them to me... a week later I got these plates in the mail

I'd probably go the normal route if my car had any of the smog stuff still on it when I got it but it was in pieces and I am doing a build that would most likely be rejected by any smog place on sight

I have no doubt I can tune it to pass smog but it's thejz visual test that I would rather avoid

Health and Safety Code Section 43002 Vehicular Air Pollution Control

Vehicular Air Pollution Control

43002. No motor vehicle of historic interest shall be required to have any motor vehicle pollution control device, except for such devices that were required by this part for such vehicles prior to the time that special identification plates were issued for that vehicle pursuant to Section 5004 of the Vehicle Code.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pu...saf/hs43002.htm

V C Section 5050 Legislative Findings

Legislative Findings

5050. The Legislature finds and declares that constructive leisure pursuits by California citizens is most important. This article is intended to encourage responsible participation in the hobby of collecting, preserving, restoring, and maintaining motor vehicles of historic and special interest, which hobby contributes to the enjoyment of the citizen and the preservation of California's automotive memorabilia.

Added Ch. 753, Stats. 1975. Effective January 1, 1976.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d03/vc5050.htm

Edited by Metric-man

Health and Safety Code Section 43002 Vehicular Air Pollution Control

Vehicular Air Pollution Control

43002. No motor vehicle of historic interest shall be required to have any motor vehicle pollution control device, except for such devices that were required by this part for such vehicles prior to the time that special identification plates were issued for that vehicle pursuant to Section 5004 of the Vehicle Code.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pu...saf/hs43002.htm

V C Section 5050 Legislative Findings

Legislative Findings

5050. The Legislature finds and declares that constructive leisure pursuits by California citizens is most important. This article is intended to encourage responsible participation in the hobby of collecting, preserving, restoring, and maintaining motor vehicles of historic and special interest, which hobby contributes to the enjoyment of the citizen and the preservation of California's automotive memorabilia.

Added Ch. 753, Stats. 1975. Effective January 1, 1976.

http://www.dmv.ca.go.../d03/vc5050.htm

I appreciate your efforts but I already know the law, I've been researching it for months before doing what I did

While smog equipment is technically supposed to be on the vehicle, there are never any smog checks for historical vehicles

I was so excited about following your footsteps that I didn't realize my 88 will not qualify until next year. Oh well, smog station here I come.

You need a guy? I know a guy...or two. Sun Valley and North Hollywood. :lol: