#1 TroyStarion

TroyStarion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Old race cars and classic rock
  • Model:Starion

Posted 26 May 2018 - 05:55 PM

I can't get the cassette out of my car, pretty sure it's stuck in with the pins through the holes. Can anyone tell me if I have to take the radio out, and how to get that cassette out of there?

Thanks
87' Sarajevo White ESi-R- In the garage, getting rebuilt...
87' Serbia Black ESi-R- SOLD

#2 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:27 PM

I know how! 1ST remove the oem stereo! 2nd get your trash can real close open the lid and discard it! And go buy something w touch screen and install it. Enjoy. Lol dude l don't mean to come across rude  but it's 2018  them old stereos are just it OLD

#3 Bradrock

Bradrock

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Interests:Guns, metal working, guns, wrenching, guns,wood working, Gold mining, guns & cool cars.

Posted 26 May 2018 - 08:56 PM

Hard to find a 'new' cassette player & everyone knows analog CRUSHES digital in sound reproduction ! :D

I bet there are youtube videos on removing the cassette.
Run's with scizzor's

#4 TroyStarion

TroyStarion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 09:12 PM

View Postcroquest87, on 26 May 2018 - 08:27 PM, said:

I know how! 1ST remove the oem stereo! 2nd get your trash can real close open the lid and discard it! And go buy something w touch screen and install it. Enjoy. Lol dude l don't mean to come across rude  but it's 2018  them old stereos are just it OLD

A get can't keep a car original? Every time I look at an aftermarket stereo in an 80's or 90's car I almost gag. Just asking for tips on getting the cassette out, not fishing for sarcastic replies.

#5 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 09:22 PM

Agree with you on that.  

Too bad no good way to get Bluetooth on the factory radio.  I put a Bluetooth tape in the deck.  But it requires recharges often :/

#6 Bradrock

Bradrock

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 896 posts
  • Interests:Guns, metal working, guns, wrenching, guns,wood working, Gold mining, guns & cool cars.

Posted 27 May 2018 - 10:02 AM

I have never messed with a quest deck. But generally speaking, the cassette has to come up & out. I've used a butter knife or small flat blade screwdriver to pry the cassette up while pulling out with small needle nose pliers or tweezers. Most likely your deck needs servicing in any case. There are shops who specialize in vintage car stereos. But not many & you may need to send off to one if you want to get it in top shape. Well worth it in my opinion. But then, I don't do digital if I can help it. I don't even know what bluetooth is even though I see it  mentioned everywhere.
Many tape deck transports have plastic gears that become brittle & teeth break off. Or you may just need to clean & lube.
Run's with scizzor's

#7 aknorthstar

aknorthstar

FarNorth Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:23 AM

If its in the play position and its stuck you can count  on taking the deck apart.

#8 aknorthstar

aknorthstar

FarNorth Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 11:25 AM

this unit plugs right in https://www.ebay.com...FwAAOSwTM5Yufvf

#9 TroyStarion

TroyStarion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:59 PM

View PostBradrock, on 27 May 2018 - 10:02 AM, said:

I have never messed with a quest deck. But generally speaking, the cassette has to come up & out. I've used a butter knife or small flat blade screwdriver to pry the cassette up while pulling out with small needle nose pliers or tweezers. Most likely your deck needs servicing in any case. There are shops who specialize in vintage car stereos. But not many & you may need to send off to one if you want to get it in top shape. Well worth it in my opinion. But then, I don't do digital if I can help it. I don't even know what bluetooth is even though I see it  mentioned everywhere.
Many tape deck transports have plastic gears that become brittle & teeth break off. Or you may just need to clean & lube.

Tried the butterknife and tweezer trick, found that the second pin is stuck in the cassette. Can't get it out though because there's no room to slide it out. Thanks anyway.

#10 TroyStarion

TroyStarion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 04:59 PM

I'm having trouble actually finding the screws that hold the radio in. I feel really stupid, anyone wanna tell me how to get damned thing out?

#11 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,681 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:25 PM

Take the 2 carpet pieces off either side under the dash. There's 4 screws, 2 on each side holding the radio to the center dash piece.
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

#12 TroyStarion

TroyStarion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 30 May 2018 - 05:40 PM

View PostTexasQuest, on 30 May 2018 - 05:25 PM, said:

Take the 2 carpet pieces off either side under the dash. There's 4 screws, 2 on each side holding the radio to the center dash piece.

Thanks for replying quickly. I got the bottom screws out but those top ones look extremely tricky with all those brackets in the way...

#13 PSiTSi

PSiTSi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Interests:Endoscopy Repair Tech.

Hockey, DSM's, 3S's and Starquest's.

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:07 AM

You need to remove your center console in order to remove the radio cluster.
2009 Pontiac G8 - 1989 Jeep Comanche - 1988 Chrysler Conquest TSi

#14 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,681 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 31 May 2018 - 05:19 PM

Yes the console pieces need to come out first to get the radio assembly out. 4 screws hold the rear section and then remove the shift knob if it's a manual to pull the front part of the console out. Remove the emergency seat belt levers by unscrewing them from the metal arms and remove the rear view mirror switch and unplug it too. Be careful and go slow, the plastic is getting old and brittle.
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

#15 TroyStarion

TroyStarion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:15 PM

View PostTexasQuest, on 30 May 2018 - 05:25 PM, said:

View PostTroyStarion, on 30 May 2018 - 05:40 PM, said:

Thanks for replying quickly. I got the bottom screws out but those top ones look extremely tricky with all those brackets in the way...

Funny thing, already did all of that. Radio and cassette are both out! It was Europe- Final Countdown, ew. Thanks for the help though!

#16 SA22C

SA22C

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:58 PM

Was "Final Countdown" honestly in there? If so that is one of the coolest things I've ever read on this site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users