• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ipjkcu

Ipjkcu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 04:42 PM

So pulled the motor out of 89 Fiji amd dropped in 86 Blackie. Swapped over injectors,  ics, alt  installed maft, have had mixed results with switching temp and baro wires   the 4 wire maf is supposed to have the temp switch as map sensor reads baro ever 2 mins.

I have ran stock turbo and t3 turbo. I had it running fairly well with stock turbo and map disabled. But seemed lazy but only 8psi so Idk.

Anyways ideas, thoughts, comments might try hooking neo up to map and see if it's tunable with maf unhooked.

Yes swapping ecu or stand alone / mpi would be the way to go.

But am just playing around.there is So little info on 86 but some swear by them.

First things to test, fuel pressure, Ics, injectors,

It seems to run and idle good for a while then just start running lean and sputter. It seems to do this no matter what ways I run it.

#2 Chad

Chad

noob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9,182 posts
  • Interests:Starquest Fanatic
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 01 April 2018 - 06:31 PM

86s all ran oddly with map disconnected.  I vave up trying to make that work on mine.

#3 stesir

stesir

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posted 07 July 2018 - 09:07 AM

hey there, been working on a '86 project for a few years now and let me just say I don't regularly work on cars, but I'll try because it's this car...
had a rebuild motor go into it, slightly upgraded and thought I could go w/ this or that for the engine stuff, mas, airbox, isc/tps  etc etc and the car was running a 1G MAS w/ former owner
The car has pretty much everything new or rebuilt except the steering...On start-up the car ran and idled good for about 10 times not running on the road..but then it went bad stalling out wouldn't idle...I've since gotten everything 1986 on it including the injectors.  Still not running right, just tried an '89 ECU which made it run to high revving on start up, the '86 ECU is stalling it out gets idling to low... will update.

#4 Amonje123

Amonje123

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 17 July 2018 - 12:06 AM

Just saw this post I had a 86 quest running 20+psi on a 18g. I know quite a bit about these. What do you guys need to know?

Oh and yea don't try and make these run without the map. They run pig rich and worse. If you want to not run a map install the gm maft and translator. The map will no longer be needed.

*Hint* that's how you run high boost on these 86 ecu's. Map sends signal to ecu to cut. No more map no more fuel cut. No need for a FCD or the diode inside the ecu.

Edited by Amonje123, 17 July 2018 - 12:11 AM.

#5 stesir

stesir

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:01 AM

hey Amonte:

I got an '86.. nearly everything about the car is new or rebuilt,  has the correct 1986 year components...
the motor is only able to start and run if you keep on pumping the gas pedal, in other words cannot get it to IDLE..car cannot get back on the road from it's reconditioning due to this..
any help is much appreciated...THANKS!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users