tire size after lowering springs??

i'm pondering KYB replacement struts and maybe a lowering spring set such as the Suspension Tech 1" kit.  anybody here done anything similiar?  what did you use?  can i stick with stock tire size if i lower it an inch or will i have to go lower profile?  what are the chances of scrubbing on the front if i'm running an 8" rim?

thanks,

Brandon

Like Ernie said, any stock tire  size will not be a problem.  With an 8" rear rim you can fit the 225/50/16 or 245/45/16 on there and it won't rub.  However if you want the more common and cheaper 245/50/16 size, I think you will run into a problem seem as though when I had that size tire, I rubbed with the stock suspension.   The same applies with the 9" rears.

kev

• 2 weeks later...

Brandon,

You should not have any problems whatsoever.  I have susp tech springs and in fact mine is lowered even a little more and I have stock tires.  Steve(Greenstar)

86 Starion

San Diego

thanks for all the info guys.  i think i'll go with the KYB's and S.T. springs with 225/50 up front and 245/45 out back.  i know i can use these sizes with either the 7/8 combo or the 8/9 combo, but do you guys have a preference (as to how these size tires will look on the different sized rims)?

Brandon

I believe mine is a 7/9 combo if I am not mistaken.  I bought the car with the rims like that.  If could be wrong but the tires fit nice.  I love the look.  Steve(Greenstar)

86 Starion

San Diego

I know I'll get blasted for this comment, but I actually prefer the 7/8 inch rims over the 8/9's.  Either way it's 225/50 fronts, 245/45 rears).  The 8/9's (well specifically the 9's) have way to large of a lip that sticks out past the tires.  When I get the rims refinished on my car (they have some road rash thanks to the previous owner) I'm having them trim the lip down.  

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...