Top End Performance AKA TEP

quest88_TSI

I had to order parts from TEP, wasn't sure what I needed.  I e-mailed Steve at TEP several times, always quick turn around for guidance.  I had a lot of Q&A and cross checked all advice.  It was very good advice.  When I finally did place an order, they were very quick in turning it around to ship.  Came in a nicely prepared package.

I ordered the complete 2.5" exhauste & Cat back system, BOV, high/low switch for turbo and new boost guage.  

Prices were a tad high, but the advice was top.  Service was excellent.  Recommend buying from him anytime and advice is dead on.

I agree that TEP has good parts, and good advice. Their turn around is satisfactory too.

I ordered injector clips(way back when), their pro-grip street clutch, raceprepped crankshaft, SST Valves, Hi-Volume oil pump (best on market), JE forged custom 8:1 pistons & TS Rings(Best deal around for the combo), Their Metal Shim Headgasket (best on market), the rest of their headgasket set, and engine gasket set. More, but I can't think of it right now.

Tim C.

• 2 weeks later...

These guys are good and quick.  I ordere the metal shim head gasket, ARP head studs, and the rest of the gasket set from the head up.  Had evrything I needed and it arrived at my door hella quick.  Very responsive when i called back to ask for help on what to do with the studs.

Only complaint so far is the price, but in the end I hope it was all worth it.   ;D

-Quan

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased the high preformance street rebuild from TEP. They handled the shipping to/from their location at a very good price along with quick delivery. I added the 350hp fuel pump, OVCP, 16g turbo, fuel pressure regulator. My only complaint is the fact that no one can assure me as to which turbo I recieved. My invoice says super 16g but I was billed for a 16g. Steve Nelson is the man who knows the most info., others are less informed. I'll do business with them again.

Thanks, Mark Sweet

I had $9k+ of parts & work performed by TEP.  I don’t have any complaints with the time Steve took to explain his services and his recommendations for improvements.  While I’ve been told that I overpaid, I also don’t begrudge a guy running a business to make a profit…as long as the work is good and the prices reasonable.

I brought my car to him the first week of January, expecting the work to take about 1 month.  While speed wasn’t my main concern (and I did add some parts), I didn’t get the car back until late May.  After the engine’s break-in, I brought the car back to TEP.  Because of a defective FCD (not their fault),  they didn’t activate and tune the AIC system until mid-Sept and I picked up the car Oct 2.

On the way home from TEP, my engine caught fire.  I drove about 15 miles.

I emailed Steve that night, but didn't get a response.  I called Steve at TEP the following afternoon, and he said he didn’t think that they were responsible.  He said it was running fine when he tested it.  He asked about MY insurance and suggested I bring it to a body shop to access the damage and “we’d go from thereâ€.

My insurance company telephoned Steve to ask for his insurance company's information in mid-October, but the call was not returned.  After a several messages were left, my insurance company received a message to contact him by email.  I've been told that they sent the same request by email, but there has been no response.

We’ve found evidence to indicate that the cause was the fuel hose slipping off of a t-connector that TEP installed to auxiliary fuel injectors.  The exact area that they worked on that day.

I mailed a letter on Oct 17 by registered mail, basically stating that I felt they should be responsible for the damage, since it was caused by the area they did work on... especially since it occured on the way back from their shop.  However, I would hold the car for two weeks in case they wanted to inspect it.  The letter was "Refused by Addressee".

In mid-November, I got an estimate from a body shop and sent it by registered mail, with a cover letter asking them to contact me, plus a copy of the first letter.  It was also refused.

I could understand if they looked at the vehicle and thought that the cause of the fire was unrelated to their work.  But I can’t understand why the letters would be refused, especially since they would not even know the contents.  In fact, if it were me, I would offer to look at the car and MAKE SURE that it wasn’t something I did.

In the meantime, my insurance company did an estimate and mailed it to them on Dec 4.  Neither I nor my insurance has been contacted to date (local mail, so it should have been received by now.  I received a copy by regular mail Dec 5).

I’ve also filed a complaint with the BBB and the Bureau of Automotive Repair is next unless they settle with my insurance.

I’ll update further as information becomes available.

Zero, I'm honestly sorry over your dealing with TEP. I've spent around $4,000 dollars with them this year and except for their lack of identifying the turbo I purchased they have been OK to do business with. I do agree that their prices are high even though their add says "lowest prices."

On looking back I've spent closer to $5,000 with them. I'm new to the internet and of coarse have seen lower prices on many of the items I bought from them. They won't get my business based on prices unless they will match the lowest advertised price I find.

Their treatment of you in your case is without excuse. I went with them because I didn't know where else to go for what I needed.I'm a Christian and will be praying for a quick resolution of your problem and will think twice before using their service again. I do hope that the current situation is out of Steve's hands as he was helpful in shipping my engine from Syracuse to California in a timely manner and the motor runs well. I can also symphathize with the frustration you must be feeling. May all work out for the best for you Steve, a member of the Starquest fellowship, Mark.  

• 2 weeks later...
Finally got my TEP turbo identified and since it was not correct TEP and in particular Steve Nelson is going to replace it with the 19c that I originally tried to purchase. TEP is a busy shop with the most product and service for starquests that I've come across. I sincerely appreciate the time and expense they have put into rectifying this situation. Steve also did a lot of over the phone troubleshooting to get my conquest running tops. I'll update when I recieve the 19c and let you guys know how it performs.MarkSweet

• 2 weeks later...
Got a pair of injector clips.  They arrived VERY fast, but they charged me 8 dollars for shipping, which I know it probably cost only 3 or 4 to ship.  If they paid more they got ripped.  I sent everquest the pc game across the country for 3 75, and the package I got today was a lot smaller.  Anyway, it was a good transaction.  Just bothers me when people Jip me with shipping costs, not very professional.

I'M starting to install the 19c turbo that TEP sent to replace the 16g that they mistakenly sent me in April of 2002. I had wanted the 19c however they didn't have one in stock at that time. They said a super 16g was the next best bolt on turbo that TEP carried. I took that one but was never satisfied with the performance. Upon discovering that I was sent a small 16g, I spoke to TEP and to correct the mistake they agreed to send me a 19c at no charge even though I had put 3k miles on the 16g. It took some time to resolve the problem however I am happy that TEP not only replaced the turbo but sent a 19c even though they were obligated only for a super 16g. Steve Nelson in particular spent all the phone time required to trouble shoot my drivability problems so that I have a very strong running Conquest. TEP also rebuilt my motor into a high performance street engine. Thanks, Steve

Mark

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

OOPS!!  NEGATIVE FEEBACK! >:(

The next time I go shopping for performance parts for my Conquest or my 1G Talon, it WON'T be at TEP.  I have rarely experienced as much attitude and arrogance from West Los Angeles gold digging women as I have on the one occasion that I shopped at Top End Performance.  The attitude of the owner and the workers of this establishment is a joke.  From the jerk who answers the phone every time I call to the arrogant attitude I got when I showed up personally to pick up some parts.  Incidentally, I drove 1.5 hours to get to TEP and only picked up 1/3 of the parts I had intended to purchase.  I'd rather pay the extra $.$$ and get real service from someone who cares about me and my car.  In the real world, you have to earn business.  At TEP, they seem to think everyone owes it to them.  THEY'RE WRONG!!!

Sorry for the negative vibe, but for the benefit of us all who own starquests, I hope this will change the way TEP does business.

jon :'(

• 3 weeks later...
in a way i agree, with you.  in the past i have bought alot of stuff from them.  When ever i break something, an i have to have it.  they are there, an most of the time they will tell you, if they have it or if they dont.(an shipping,.they seem to be right on, with how fast you want it)  Now as far as the person that answers the phone,. i have had a few, one that couldnt understand, but he was helpfull an looked up items.  An one arrogant, peice of meat.  but latley here on the phone i have had somebody else answer it,. an even if they dont know the car parts, he was pretty quick on finding them.  I do agree, on the part, we are the custmer, an we deserve to be treated with respect.  

For the most part I feel TEP's customer service is terrible.

I have purchased from them and was satisfied with the products but

when I called for some tech support I felt they where very

arrogant and not very helpful.

I found there prices to be a little on the high side but I would not mind paying

a bit more if there was a reason, like some great tech support!

Not sure why they continue to be in a customer service type business.

They should just manufacture parts and sell them to retail shops that know

how to treat a customer.

Oh well!

My last experience with them (suspension parts) went very well. It helps in my line of work (newspaper editor) I deal with a lot of sour attitudes on a regular basis, so that rarely ends up bothering me.

However, on the purchase previous to that (fuel pump and regulator), I got bad parts the first time and very little technical support. I'm from Alabama and I have a Southern accent. Bet you can guess how I was perceived when I called California.

Anyway, my mechanic at the time (and believe me, he'll take the following as a compliment) can be a real hothead redneck, but a very smart and funny one. I was at his shop when we ran into the first problems with the regulator. I called their tech support, who started talking down to me, so I just handed the phone over to Tommy and got the laugh of my life.

I should add, though, that they made the deal good in the end. I can't complain about that.

Jess

• 4 weeks later...

bubb_rubb

Re: 3" mandrel Exhaust NEW PRICE $25@$295

« Reply #16 on: Today at 09:48:18 » Report this post to moderator(s)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

new poster, longtime hotrodder.  I just about wet myself when I saw Kelly's sig.  Steve Nelson at TEP (Top End Performance) is a notorious rip-off artist, especially here in California.  He has a "King crap" attitude and fast talk approach, to cover up for his complete lack of knowledge.  None of the cars they build go fast, so they just lie about it.  They once told me a turbo car they built ran 11's the night before, at LACR.  Well I happened to have BEEN THERE at the track and saw it running slower than cars with NO TURBOCHARGER.  This is a car with forged pistons and rods, ported head, big valves, TEC-II engine management, big turbo, etc.  We later made friends with the owner of the car and needless to say the guy was totally disappointed, he even got overcharged on each piece.  His engine pinged and TEP couldn't tune the car to make it stop pinging, so it eventually blew up.  TEP blamed him and accused him of turning the boost up, holding the car against the rev limiter at WOT, all kinds of insults.   The poor guy got out of there with a big bill and a broken motor, it was an ugly scene.  Now TEP tells other customers the guy is an idiot, nice way to treat your customers.  

Oh yeah, a friend of mine from out of state sent them over $500 for a special clutch.  For some reason UPS kept losing it (yeah right) and Steve/TEP kept giving bogus tracking numbers or putting the guy on hold for a half hour til he'd hang up.  The guy called for months but never got his clutch.  

BUYER BEWARE!!  

I have bought plenty of items from TEP and I must say that I have never so far had a bad experience with them. I live in Denmark, so I guess they could skrew me over plenty if they wanted to, but they have always kept their end of the bargin. They are fast to reply to my emails too. So I must admit I cannot see where all the negativity is comming from.

NO disrespect to you guys that have been burned by them, but I am positive at the moment...... :-[ :-X

David Schouenborg (Denmark)

I have purchased a lot of parts from t.e.p. they always ship my parts the same day i order them. I usually recieve them in about five days not bad for shipping to Montana. They have been courtious over the phone always answer all my questions and one time even told me to buy a less expensive part and it would serve the same purpose, they were right. So if any new Starquesters are looking for a source for high performance parts i highly recommend them.(WHEN YOU CALL ASK FOR STEVE NELSON)

I only had good things to say about TEP until they didn't respond to (actually sent back unopened) letters concerning the fire damage they caused to my car.  In fact, if they had responded quickly & honestly, I STILL would be saying good things.  I would have considered a mistake, a mistake...as long as it was fixed.  I even wrote a letter of recommendation for Steve concerning the previous work he had done.  That's what bothers me the most.

For anyone who is still on good terms with him, why don't you ask him about my car and see what he says.  Send me a PM (or post it if you're willing)...he won't answer the phone or my emails.    I think I've detailed my side of the story pretty openly.

-Vince

I'm willing to ask Steve what's going on. I find it strange that he would act the way he seems to do quite often given the direction most of the feedback goes.I was in the line of work "putting out fires" no pun intended. I could help turn his company around. I had my engine rebuilt by TEP and I often wonder if I got the forged pistons I paid for or the other parts that were to be included for that matter. He did sub a small 16g for a super16g without informing me and it took me 6 months to confirm the discrepency.At that point Steve replaced the small 16g with a 19c which was generous of him. Near the end he said I should return the turbo that I had and TEP would disassemble the turbo to measure the wheel to identify the turbo! That was a frightening statement. A suplier of turbo's for a particular vehicle should know how to identify them from an external inspection. I've learned to identify Mitsu turbo's for Starquests from the outside fro necessity. I'll see what he has to say. Mark

I received an email from Steve asking me about my car with the comment that he hasn't heard from me, but that I;m bashing him on-line...which is curious because I've documented my communications with TEP here, including some emails with TEP's automated response email attached.  Also, I believe there has been very little bashing (all considered...statements of facts are not bashing).

However, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  He's asked me to call him tomorrow, which I will.  But I also wanted to give him credit in the forum as soon as possible, as long as he's taking some action.  I will post again after speaking with him.  If this the result of any of you commenting on the posts...THANKS!

Vince

Negative Feedback.

When I ordered parts, I didn't know where else on the internet to order.  I order a timing kit with BS eliminator, and some ARP Head Studs.

Before I ordered I sent a couple email inquiring about these parts, and in a timely manner I received a reply with competent advice from Steve Nelson.

After good communication through e-mails, I decided to order the parts from them.

When I called, the guy who answered wasn't really in the mood to help me it seemed, even though I was the customer.  I went ahead and ordered the parts.  At the time the wifey was next to me when I ordered, and she even commented on their attitude.  I just wanted my parts.  I did get them in a timely manner and well packed.

In my opinion, I don't think I will order from them again due to that guy who answered the phone... and this decision was made even before I read anything from this forum, or any others.

Zero,

I run a business and I know a lot about customer service on both ends.  You are the type of customer I would want to have, not one who goes and starts yelling at you for a mistake.  In my business I have made mistakes, and I try to correct them as best as possible.  It's not easy to deal with a bad tempered customer.  TEP took advantage of your understanding.

A good business with loyal customers is one that has it's customers higher on their priority list than profit.

Let us know on how your situation gets resolved.  Good luck.

-Robert

I just got off the phone with TEP. Ordered a metal shim headgasket.

No problems. The guy even ran out to mic the gasket.

There are a few exclusive items, like the metal shim headgasket, that you get from TEP or you don't get it.

Steve is good somedays and crappy other days in my expereiencs. I just buy select items and I have been happy with the stuff in the last 2 or 3 years.

In 1998 or so I couldn't stand TEP. I gave them another chance and I am content with them on my later experiences.