rack and pinion conversion

• 2 weeks later...

'convette' did it but said it was a pain i believe. I think the dude over at

also, the dude at projectzerog.com i think did it as well

http://projectzerog.com/rack_and_pinion.shtml

but you'll have to dig around for his build on his forums probably.

Convette also has an LS1 and alot of custom work...

I would be cake to use a 240 rack, and with a little fab work to the cross memeber you can keep the stock pan. I wouldn't reccomend going the same route I did because I had to design custom knuckles for the front steer set up. Its much cheaper to use a 240 rack. I have over $1k just in steering. I could be done for about $200-300 if you use used 240 stuff, and are nice with a welder.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be putting together a kit to use a 240sx steering rack. I want to supply a custom crossmember, all the bits to bolt it in, the connecting pieces to link the OEM column to the Nissan rack, and the fittings/hoses to run the OEM power steering pump to the Nissan rack.

Expect it by mid-summer '11, if I get off my lazy can and do something in the garage. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be putting together a kit to use a 240sx steering rack. I want to supply a custom crossmember, all the bits to bolt it in, the connecting pieces to link the OEM column to the Nissan rack, and the fittings/hoses to run the OEM power steering pump to the Nissan rack.

Expect it by mid-summer '11, if I get off my lazy can and do something in the garage. :lol:

I know this might be too soon but do you have an estimated price of the package you are putting together?

I'm not trying to jack the thread here.

• 3 weeks later...

If I had to put a tag on it blindly, I'd rough guess under $400. That would most likely include the rack and tie-rods.

If I don't use this Conquest I just picked up for parts, and decide to drift missile it, I might do this sooner than later haha. :lol:

I'm not worried about the pump differences, and pressure variances between our pump and any of the Nissan pumps offered with that rack are within 200psi. I actually believe the HICAS 4WS pump from quad-steer 240sxs has a higher pressure than our cars, and the rack internals are identical to non-HICAS racks save for closer gearing.

has anyone compared the measurements of the 240 crossmember and control arms to the stock quest ones? if they are similar you could modify a 240 crossmember and run s14 control arms and hubs get a nice brake conversion and have some nasty steering angle (theoretically)...

what year 240 are we looking to get a rack out of?

'89-'94 S13-chassis 240sx. I can also make a kit for the S14 rack. While I believe they're interchangeable, they might be different enough in an aftermarket application to warrant a different crossmember.

has anyone compared the measurements of the 240 crossmember and control arms to the stock quest ones? if they are similar you could modify a 240 crossmember and run s14 control arms and hubs get a nice brake conversion and have some nasty steering angle (theoretically)...

I've got all of this sitting on my garage floor in front of my Starion at the moment. Once I start tearing into things I can get an accurate measurement, but eyeballing it, things look to be about 2" wider on the S13 stuff than Starion goodies.

Seeing that both the S-chassis and Starions are rear-steer and both use tension-rods to locate the spindles/LCAs/struts in the wheel well, it would be almost ridiculously easy to swap an entire S13 front suspension setup on the car. I may do that with my drift missile Conquest, who knows. S13 stuff is everywhere and cheap here in Utah, I could do some quick measurements and fab and get back to you on it. ^_^

From what I gather just by eyeballing measurements and looking at the crossmember an AUStarion member built using S13 components, I'm rough guessing that even S13 LCAs would put our stock 7" wheels out to the fender without a spacer or adapter. Yeah, their suspension is THAT wide compared to our cars haha.

Edited by Dave-O

• 1 month later...
I am working in getting an s13 rack into my car right now. For reference the s13 rack has a. 680-36 spline also know as 11/16-36. I am going to be mount the rack onto the stock k-member using stock s13 inner tie rods with aftermarket bump steer adjustable outter rods. I just have to decide how I want the connect the steering column to the 240 rack. I will most likely cut the stock u joint off and weld a new one on.

can someone make a kit already. all the starion suspension parts are becoming obsolete. FYI, called several mitsu dealers and the steering box seals have been discontinued, unless you buy the entire kit from rock auto. i have money in hand and ready for a rack and pinion kit. my steering box is leaking, and choices are slim, 1. buy entire seal kit from rock auto and do the rebuild myself, 2. buy PQ rebuild steering box 275, or buy a complete kit for rack and pinion and say good bye to the stock suspension. My options is number 3. 1 and 2 sounds good, but what happens the next time the front steering needs to be replaced?

I'm going to be test fitting rx7 (fd) parts up front soon. Lighter, front street system, with tons of suspension and brake options. Either that or build my own control arms, and stay with the mustang stuff. There are tons of options. Make moves.

Doesn't/didn't ProfessorQuest have a kit out there somewhere? I recall it being somewhat pricey ~$400

An alternative is to drop the power steering and go with a D-50 manual steering setup on the cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

http://antilag.org/random/racknpinion.JPG

I was working on a rack and pinion setup about a year ago but I stopped because school and work got too busy. This setup would utilize a 240 rack and use new control arms but the same starion ball joint.

I decided the tubular setup would be way to expensive so I stopped working on it.