I forgot to take a lot of pictures, but let's start from the bottom. My dad bought this car off the showroom floor with 7 miles (if I remember correctly) in 1987. Driftwood metallic, with maroon interior
It had fun life until they had to get a bigger car because of children (...my bad haha). After some time in the early 90's, the car sat while they drove their other, larger cars. Also in the early 90's, my dad bought a parts car from a friend who wrecked his, so up until now we've had an engine with 50K miles sitting un-touched in the garage, but I digress: the car sat for years, only being driven on the weekends and occasionally to take me and my brother to school in the "Space-ship car."
In early 2000, probably 2002, my dad and I started sanding the car down because the years of sun beating down on the car killed the paint. You know, little star-shaped cracks in the headlight covers? That kind of stuff. I was 7 or so at the time. We had the whole car sanded down and then primered it, which is how it would look until about 2008 I think.
Until the sun killed this paint once more. This was a one-step paint job, so it was inevitable that without meticulous maintenance, the paint would die again. And that it did, prompting me to see what matte black would look like, which didn't go so well resulting in its current look.
As you can see, I only got to the driver fender, front bumper, air dam, hood wasn't even painted, just sanded.
Anyway, I was given the car when I turned 16 in 2011 (GREAT IDEA, DAD.) It was the best day. This is the car I've wanted for as long as I can remember. I didn't really do much to it other than that paint attempt, various experiments with wiring here and there, and plasti-dipping the centers of the wheels. One day I decided to attempt to powerslide though resulting in tearing off the air-dam and denting the h3ll out of the driver front wheel. Luckily, from the aforementioned parts quest, we had and still have an extra set of 7's and 8's, so I just threw another 7 on and bought a Motocam air damn bracket kit which accounted for the torn notches in the dam from ripping it off.
Fast forward to 2014, I finally decided to accept the offer to move to Florida with my parents. I got a decent restaurant job making over 30K a year, and had bought a 2000 Ford Expedition to be a daily driver as I gently slid the Conquest into the category of "project." I didn't have many bills to pay since I only owned one financed vehicle, but I was younger and dumber and awful with money management, which I'm sure has put me on the bad side of quite a few members here in terms of not being able to follow up with payments a few more times than I'd like to admit, but that's an apology I'll make another day, this is a build thread! Over the course of the next few years, (2014-now), I slowly built up my collection of parts, because I knew I wanted a fun, streetable, dependable car. I had a few guidelines for myself though: No swaps. I want this car to be as close to the roots as possible, but I also wanted it to come the way it would have if the engine management was created about 10 years later than it was. So that set the mood for the build: MPI, bigger turbo, had to be a G54B. One fateful night in 2014, I blew the exhaust manifold gasket. That was it. That was the day I decided to take her off the road.
I kind of went all out on the bolt-ons because I wanted to see what a stock bottom end would do, and I contracted Scotty to make the EMS and harness, which I consequently lost my job right before I had to pay for the thing. Nonetheless, I DID come through with that payment, regardless of how bad I felt about how late it was. I had already purchased a NJV head, JDL exhaust manifold, a Holset HX35, and a Maxboost MPI, but while I didn't have the money for the EMS, I went ahead and just bolted a lot of those parts onto the stock 165K mile engine, because not driving this car for two years had been wearing me down. I got a few pulls in around the neighborhood with the stock TBI before I realized the head i purchased had a crack in the #3 exhaust port between the port and the coolant passage in the head, resulting in taking off the JDL and pouring about a pint of coolant out of it. I have videos of all of that, but I'll only post them on request, as the car was a hot mess at that time. Not only that, the turbo compressor housing popped off during a pull one day, and did a number on the compressor wheel.
The car came off the road again after those few pulls in 2016, because I had finally paid for the EMS. I started working on wiring, getting the rest of my parts like the clutch, flywheel, crank pulley, new turbo, intake parts, etc., all that fun stuff. Here comes the fun part, pictures. Some of this won't be in chronological order, but more so in order of assembly.
Some of you may remember this picture from 2015 or so I think. This was when I started on timing and mocking up for the 50K mile block that sat for years, that would find a new home in my car.
Maxboost intake mounted
Edited by Aman, 10 April 2019 - 03:08 PM.