AEM EMS product development for Starquests

michael knight

Hey guys one of my buddies is one of 2 people that build and develop the the ecu's/ems for AEM. He is going to try and develop something for our cars. Does anyone have an ecu laying on a bench they can take a picture of. He needs a pic of the pins/pin pattern on the ecu. He's hoping he has the clips laying around to build an adapter/jumper harness between the stock harness clip and the AEM EMS. What this means, is that we could have a literally plug/play EMS from AEM w/ base map and all. Pics of the ECU pin pattern please.

Thanks,

Damon

why would i spend +$1000 on a AEM computer that would manage my crappy TBI????

whats the point? also, the AEM isn't going to know crank timing, so all it's really gonna do is alter fuel maps, based off of what? a crappy stock mistu MAF (and MAP for the 86's).

sorry to be a buzzkill

It might be helpful to know where (city) this would be done. That might make it possible to let him see an ECU in person and ask questions or even see a car or two. Of course files from someone running MPI might be helpful too. Give us more info so that we can get him the info he is interested in.

why would i spend +$1000 on a AEM computer that would manage my crappy TBI????

whats the point? also, the AEM isn't going to know crank timing, so all it's really gonna do is alter fuel maps, based off of what? a crappy stock mistu MAF (and MAP for the 86's).

sorry to be a buzzkill

You're not a buzzkill. You're just stating an opinion. There are many people that would like to stay TBI just for convenience sake, use bigger injectors, and run around 280-320whp with an easy and acurate way to tune AFR's. Yes it will most likely cost some good money($1000.00-$1,500.00) but for that you are getting well known craftsmanship and quality in a product tuners are already familiar with. I am only trying to help create something that will not only benefit my car but others as well. We need more major players creating products for our cars.

and i think the premise is rightous. it's just unfortunate that the AEM can't do more. unless AEM can tap into the spark control and knock control, it's gonna hit the roof pretty IHMO. but you might be right. there might be a small market. now, if AEM made a plug and play MPI, THAT would be another story all together =)))

It would sell, if they buy that home made over priced stuff (notice how nice I was here with my comment?) from Florida for allot more than 1000.00 I'd think they would buy this no problem. I'd also suspect that there would be options to NOT use the stock ignitor box and go to another ignition box the AEM would control. There are already empty pin outs in a stock ecu plug for extra injector drivers people. Addition of a magnet for a cranksensor or to use a Magna distributor I'd also suspect would be an option. Those are things that should be discussed before a blanket "no" answer. The hardest part of mpi is wiring and I've seem some really total crap wiring on mpi conversions and the one CNM started for me is an example but I'd encourage you to pull your harness anyway, unwrap it and make sure there are no cuts or corroded crimps (because there are and you'd want to add in two injector wires at that time) to eliminate strange power and tuning problems from the beginning from a bad harness. There are wires in the stock harness you do not use, or some do not example egr, boost solenoid, backup ecu power just look at those and you'll see wires you'd not use that could be used for something else with a easier to install ecu you could mpi with later.

Well I've gotten him some of the stuff he was looking for and it's not going to be as easy as he had hoped. However, we do see each other pretty often at meets and races so I'm sure over time he is going to help me modify some of the AEM equipment to work for my application. If he comes up w/ something AEM is able to reproduce fairly easily We will have some new products to choose from. I will post w/ any updates.

Thanks,

Damon L.

If you could eliminate the MAS this would ROCK. Why dont someone just send this dude a ECU. and STFU with the bad opinions.. Thats why nobody makes anything for us, as soon as you 'have an idea' a bunch of Crows and Vultures come out to preach about 'why it wont work' .. Go work on your car...

I'd prefer it DID use a MAS and a MAP both. There is no way for a MAS to know what boost pressure is based on air flow alone because that just tells flow it can't tell rpms or intercooler efficiency this leads back to tuning issues. A MAP tells pressure but not flow and knows not of rpms. Both are tuning requirement afaik. How about turbo inlet pressure there is another tuning tool if you knew what that was. What is on new cars? All that stuff -and if you hate MAS sensors you need to look at what is now being said about those and you'll be surprised. What we need is a MAP sensor to a stock ecu and there is the often hated non-intercooled 86 ecu again.

The MAS would definitely be gone add I'd probably add a Air intake temp sensor in the OVCP or plenum(if mpi). Also, I was looking at some of AEM's products last night and they have a product similiar to HAWK's that allows distributor cars to be set-up be controlled by the ecu.

AEM has the ability to use either the MAS or Speed Density. So you can do whatever you want. What AEM sells right now in their plug and play ecu's is far beyond anything the TBI conquest would ever be able to take advantage of.

It can't rev high enough, it can't flow enough, it has two injectors for four cylinders with poor distribution of both air and fuel. You are barking up the wrong tree trying to use a fully programmable EMS on a mostly stock setup. And just so you know, anything with TBI is always going to be a mostly stock setup, because it's a HUGE roadblock to making power. If you want to make power with TBI, just get a big turbo, big intercooler, big injectors and a MAFTranslator.

TBi to MPi when you have a plug in ecu for an additional two wires for two more injector drivers is not much to ask. Software can switch the # of cylinders from 2 for 4 and is done in all afaik aftermarket ecus. The step up into something you could learn from while staying with TBi and not having to shell out the huge amount of cash for a complete conversion all at once is what has held back the masses. Learning to control ignition and fuel maps has nothing to do with how many cylinders you divide it by. Someone going to all the trouble, cost and labor for a complete conversion at the same time then tune it only to have it be crap or blow up is not going to be happening or it would it would have long ago. You see started projects sold off all the time when they just can't get the motor to start or have ran out of money. This would be a huge leap forward sorry if you can not see it that way. Would you rather the car just continue to die the slow death it has been since it was new? We're lucky they would even consider it at all. Taking one of their ecu boxes and fitting it with a molded plug to plug and orienting the pin outs to lug in a stock harness and being able to use good software is about as much as you could ever expect from anyone if not then what do you want? The same sensors that a TBi car uses is used by and MPi car. Wouldn't it be nice if you already had the harness and sensors? There are people that can't clean a battery cable don't expect too much. Fuel and ignition maps after a few were on the road running would be passed around and then TBi upgrades would be very common and complete MPi conversions would follow. Edited by Indiana

I hope AEM gets the hardware issues fixed with their boxes before this hits the market for SQ's. This is for the older silver/gray boxes, as well as the new black boxes(bad quality control issues).

I wouldn't touch one until they've been verified issue-free

Check supraforums for all kinds of discussion on AEM problems.

It would sell, if they buy that home made over priced stuff (notice how nice I was here with my comment?) from Florida for allot more than 1000.00

What did they ever sell for over $1000 besides a ready to run full mpi manifold(go ahead a try to show me a nicer manifold for any price). They only charged $495 for their EMS with a new harness and all the sensors.

Nasty comments like that are why anyone with a new idea around here should just keep their mouth shut and not bother with trying to help further the community.

• 9 months later...