388 replies to this topic

#381 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:59 AM

Haven't had an issue filling the tank but I've only filled it once so far.   I'm confused?  The valve is wired to the fuel pump, so if the fuel pump is running it is vented.   If I ran it to the ECU, it would essentially do the same thing.  My setup is basically the same as yours except your canister is larger.  But the 'canister' I made has the same volume as the stock charcoal canister.

#382 SFBMX88

SFBMX88

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,601 posts
  • Interests:WE LIKE THE MOON!!!!!
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 06 June 2019 - 12:09 PM

I dont think you need the valve honestly.  Pre 1996 evap systems are vented all the time.  I think if its hot enough out, and with your "vent" valve closed, pressure could build up and just get vented out of the gas cap relief valve instead.

Does your state use vapor recovery gas pump nozzles?  If they dont, thats probably why you dont have trouble filling up.

Posted Image

#383 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 06 June 2019 - 12:59 PM

Kev ... I'm just noticing this now for the first time looking at your pictures closer ... did you install pop-locks?  You have no door handles?  Somehow following this thread all these years I missed that.

BTW - photos look amazing.  Looks so nice out in the sun.

Edited by techboy, 06 June 2019 - 12:59 PM.

1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#384 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 02:24 PM

Yeah, it has shaved door handles.  There is a write-up on how I did them in the FAQ forum.   Although that is the one modification I kind of regret.  I was popping 20A fuses, tossed a 30A in there and it seems to be working good but the wires get hot to the touch.  I should have ran higher gauge wires to the solenoids but I just used what came with the kit.  

Also it leaves fingerprints on the paint when you open the door :angry: .   I didn't install the spring loaded plates to push the door open when you energize the solenoids. It's already taken too much current just to pop these big and heavy doors.  

Thanks for the kind words.   I drove it a few more miles on Monday to work on the fuel curve some more.  It's ready to up the boost.   Although I found that I have a gear oil leak near the back of the tranny.  Most likely the rear seal.  I'll need to look into that soon.

#385 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:13 AM

My buddy has pop-locks on his 97 T/A, which also has big heavy doors.  His body shop didn't quite as a good of a job as you did though.  As the car has aged you can see the outline of where the handles should be.  It's definitely a slick clean look.
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#386 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,766 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 01:35 PM

Are the solenoids on separate circuits with their own relays or does power go through one relay to both solenoids? Splitting the circuit could reduce the amperage draw and then the wire gauge could stay the same.

#387 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:51 AM

they are already split, one relay per circuit(door)

#388 Jay40245

Jay40245

• Vendors
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • Interests:cars

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:03 AM

Kev, you have a beautiful car. I really admire how you set up the engine bay. I was noticing how the heat shield for your hood looks practically brand new. Did you happen to restore it also somehow? I'm referring to the soft part of the heat shield that looks like it is clad in tinfoil.

#389 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,030 posts

Posted 13 September 2019 - 11:14 AM

Thanks!   It is a factory original NOS liner that I bought from a member here well over a decade ago.  Was still in the packaging up until this past spring when it was installed on the car.    The aluminum part was original to the car and polished.  Although the compressor housing of the turbo hits it when the hood is shut...arghh.  Just enough to dent it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users