• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 FORKLIFTD

FORKLIFTD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 02:40 PM

i am trying to get some suspension on the cheap for my sons project conquest. we ordered the mookeeh lowering springs last night, and i found no struts aval anywere except the mookee ones on ebay.
they are 1" lower. is that overall length making the car with 1.5" lowering springs a total of 2.5 lower?
will the mookeeh front and rear kit with the springs work? or is it specificly designed for the coilover swap.
back in the day i made some cut and welded strut case coilovers for datsun 240z's, and ae86's but never messed with starion stuff.
im not that into working on cars anymore but my son is.  the car is a cheap drift / autox car.  i dont want to throw tons of money at it like i used to do in my "car days".  anyone use the mookh setup with there springs? decent?

#2 joshtrup

joshtrup

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 03 October 2017 - 04:30 PM

I currently have the car on the front and rear mk1 struts with the mk1 coil over kit on all 4 corners, which are about 2.5' lowered right now, I am actually pretty happy with the struts. The coil over kit is very stiff, and makes some noise in the front, but for what I payed, they don't ride to bad, I've heard the lowering springs ride softer than the coil over kit for sure, which makes sense, and for the price, they should do justice.  THE ONLY ISSUE with this set up is that the rear mk1 struts are 1' SHORTER, but the front (which only comes with inserts) are stock HEIGHT (because they are in the stock housings) , so if you use the lowering springs, NON ADJUSTABLE, your car will be leaning 1 inch LOWER IN THE REAR. This happened to me, luckily I have the coil overs though, so I was able to just raise the back up 1 inch, and level it out.
A fix for this, which I am going to do, is just take the front strut housings back out, and cut them 1 inch shorter, below the brake line brackets, weld them back together, then drop the inserts back in and be able to set the coil overs on their lowest setting, at about a 3' drop.

Since it is an autox/ for fun car, I would recommend just getting him the coil over kit, then he can just adjust the rear back up 1' to level it out, without having to cut and weld.

Let us know what you decide / how it goes. Goodluck brotha
Rory Trup's Son

#3 BC_99

BC_99

Plays in traffic

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:13 PM

Springs control the height. Struts control the bound and rebound, or bounce. If you get 1.5" lowering springs, the car will sit 1.5" lower regardless of the struts controlling the movement.

BC
Steering coupler replacement U-Joints are available here...
http://www.starquest...howtopic=145280

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#4 FORKLIFTD

FORKLIFTD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 06:35 AM

i know that...but since the total overall length of the mookeeh struts are 1 inch lower...just putting them on with stock springs will net you 1 inch drop. add the 1.5 inch lowering springs now you are at 2.5 inches. i was wondering if the the 1" was out of the length of travel or out of the overall length of the strut.  that was more of the question i was asking... josh pointed out his sat 1" lower in rear than expected and had to raise it.
ANY OTHER OPTIONS FOR REAR STRUTS?  somthing stock. we might just throw the springs on and sell the conquest and get somthing with more aftermarket.

Edited by FORKLIFTD, 04 October 2017 - 06:36 AM.

#5 Fuze

Fuze

AKA @Battlemagnet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts
  • Interests:Chess Boxing
  • Model:Starion

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:44 AM

The Mookeeh rear struts are 1" shorter housings, works out to 1" shorter overall. They are based on a popular modification people did in the front, cutting a section out of the strut housing and welding it back up to shorten it, used with MR-2 strut inserts that are shorter that Starion inserts. But, you're selling it so who cares, just find some stock replacement struts.

Insta = @battlemagnet

Posted Image

#6 BC_99

BC_99

Plays in traffic

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 08:46 AM

If your plans are only drifting/autox, a 240 or something else would be a better option. These cars are usually not suitable for that without significant upgrades and  money invested.

BC

#7 FORKLIFTD

FORKLIFTD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 10:02 AM

we drifted it with stock suspension at a event a few months back. it was my sons first time drifting and really any sort of driving other than up and down the property we own.  i hadent drifted in about 6 or 7 years but used to be pretty good.  i started drifing in okinawa japan in 1996, i was the midwest usdrift director and used to host events from 2003 till 2011. qualified for formula d in 2006. but got into guns and competitive shooting uspsa stuff and got kinda burnt out on cars.  my son who is 14 is a car junky now. and loves this starquest.  it drifts decent with stock suspension...we are putting down just about 300hp out of it so that helps.  transitions are doughy. but i want him to learn to drift in a car without all the mods before we throw a bunch of money at it.  if he crashes the starquest, we are basicly out the mods as it is a hard car to replace. i used to have 240's ae86s, datsun 240z, supras, all sorts of stuff.  the starquest are very unique and rare in the area. i dont want to spend all sorts of money on a 240 or ae86...we used to buy those cars because they were $500 cars. and plentiful.  i figure let him drift with some springs on it and get used to driving. if he stays with it ill get some d2's or k sports or make some suspension.  untill them any stock replacement for rear struts. i just ordered some kybs for the front.

#8 BC_99

BC_99

Plays in traffic

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 04:27 PM

The suspension is not the reason I make the suggestion. These cars are harder to find parts for than a 240 or whatever, as you already know. But also, unless the oil pan already has been baffled, then the engine will not live long drifting, or turning higher than normal Gs in the corners. They can oil starve very quickly from the slosh of the oil leaving the pickup area of the pan. At the very last, make sure that the oil pan has a a baffle plate in it, or drop the pan and weld one in it. It is a very easy mod and cheap insurance.

D2 and Ksport and xyz coilovers are all the same, made in the same plant overseas. Here is the problem...they are discontinued. Now... a very good friend of mine that bought an 87 from me is working for a new performance shop here in NC and they have been in contact with D2 about the potential of getting them to make a run. D2 agreed to do a run again at some point, but they will need a minimum of 10 sets ordered before they will do it. At that point, they should be around $950 shipped. So, if you decide to pull the trigger on that style of coilovers, you might have to wait for 9 other people to want them too, or adapt some for a different vehicle to it. If you do get coilovers, and the kid crashes the car, then they will be easy to resell to someone else and get most of your money back. Having owned and driven these cars in stock form, and with aftermarket springs, and with sleeveovers, and now on D2s....the difference is ridiculous. They are cheaper and lower quality in the world of coilovers, but they are the best affordable option we have. You might also consider getting in touch with Greg or Tye (google GnT performance) about some polyurethane bushings and mounts if you do upgrade the springs and struts. That will stiffen things up some also. Aftermarket sway bars are getting tougher to find, and sometimes you can find strut tower brace sets to help with the chassis flex also.

Anyway, the main point of my reply is to be sure that you are set up for slinging that car around without oil starving it. Good luck with it.

BC

Edited by BC_99, 04 October 2017 - 04:29 PM.

#9 Fuze

Fuze

AKA @Battlemagnet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts
  • Interests:Chess Boxing
  • Model:Starion

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:00 AM

Respect for learning to drift in Okinawa and for being part of bringing it to the states in an organized way! You must cringe at the 1000HP FD cars these days, so counter to the Japanese way of doing it, at least the old way.
Although the drift tax has pushed up those S class prices, if he stuffs that into a wall it will never be hard to find another shell to swap the parts over to. Cars like the MK3 Supra are still under the radar and might be a good alternative, but getting rare too. Of course, if you have a drivetrain there's always the FC... ok no more rotary jokes.
D2 coilovers are apparently discontinued but if you look on eBay there's no shortage of vendors selling them new, located in the US. Maybe NOS, who knows. Good luck.

Insta = @battlemagnet

Posted Image

#10 FORKLIFTD

FORKLIFTD

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

doing the agx swap now. are the t248 gland nuts the ones that screw into the starion strut tubes or are they the mr2 gland nuts?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users