#1 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:25 PM

12a turbo bored out to 19c ,,,,Replacing spark plugs and I moved the AN FITTING at turbo water inlet and now it drips...its a 90 degree fitting on side of turbo... I see that the  AN FITTING  drips on the swivel side and the O - ring is wet on that side too (car not running)..Can these  O - rings go bad inside the fitting itself ? or do they all drip until the car warms up ??  Maybe I just need to buy a new AN FITTING and be done with it ? I have the fitting in my hand and it is fine on turbo side ,, because it is flared like brake line ends and seals up good ,,but the side that bolts up to SS  water line leaks where the O-rings are at that let it swivel so u can turn it to tighten it......

Edited by markhansenconquest, 02 October 2017 - 03:58 PM.

#2 Funky Phil

Funky Phil

Super Pooper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,340 posts
  • Interests:2 streaks of fire for 60ft when I leave.

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:28 PM

Steel or aluminum fitting? I only use steel on the hot side.
10.95@122mph MoFuggin stickshift! https://m.youtube.co...h?v=8Q01UKt5q4U

Posted Image

#3 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers
  • Model:Starion

Posted 02 October 2017 - 03:38 PM

Another key question is who made the fittings? If you aren't spending the money on some decent fittings you are bound to have issues. Fragola or Aeroquip is what you should be shooting for.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#4 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 05:47 PM

now,, I put it back together it is leaking out where the SS hose goes into the fitting nut..(there was like plummers puddy all over the theads when I took it apart from P/ Owner )......The hose leaks where the hose goes into the nut ...inside the hose is  where a tapered fitting that seals the hose to the nut when u  tighten it up .....Can I trim off the hose and put it back together ..or are they a factory done thing ??  and if so where can I get a new SS hose to replace it  ?? thanks guys for your  help........they are ALUM fittings that have a   A on them.......

Edited by markhansenconquest, 02 October 2017 - 05:49 PM.

#5 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 07:35 PM

ok ,, there earl 's fittings ,,  So there not AN fittings ( only looks like one )  ..I pulled the SS hose out of the the fitting nut in a vice ,,Then cut off 1 inch off SS hose with a hose clamp around it to keep it from fraying to big and then ground hose to the face of hose clamp and slid it back into the fitting...the 90 degree  fake AN fitting that this hose goes over has a tapered nipple and that is what puts pressure from the inside of hose to clamp pressure to the fitting nut......Thanks for your help..........guys........

Edited by markhansenconquest, 02 October 2017 - 07:42 PM.

#6 BC_99

BC_99

Plays in traffic

• Vendors
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,117 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 10:40 PM

Oh jeez....

AN Fitting is an acronym.

Look it up.

There are many manufacturers of AN fittings. Earls is one of the cheaper ones. It isn't a fake AN fitting, just cheaply built.

Aeroquip, fragola, and xrp are the best.

BC
Steering coupler replacement U-Joints are available here...
http://www.starquest...howtopic=145280

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#7 Fuze

Fuze

AKA @Battlemagnet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts
  • Interests:Chess Boxing

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:08 AM

AN fittings should never drip. AN just describes the connection type on the business end of the fitting. I have run aluminum ones for the turbo water lines for many years with zero issues, I got them originally from Brian @ Lower Shores Performance. If the fitting (male or female part) gets scratched or dirt gets in it before you tighten it, it won't seal and would need replacement. As for the braided sheathing, wrap electrical tape around it once to keep it from fraying while you assemble the hose.

Insta = @battlemagnet

Posted Image

#8 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,664 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 03 October 2017 - 08:00 PM

Mine leaked after a few years? My main problem is the turbo heat generated
Caused the hose to go bad. Well at least that's what I think happened.
I just replaced them all with new hose and fittings.
Super easy to do with the proper tools.

Still have to do oil cooler fittings. I am going to try PTFE fittings and hose for that.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP
Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!
Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

The Ark was built by amateurs , the Titanic was built by Professionals.

#9 speedyquest

speedyquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts
  • Interests:bmx, cars, computers

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:50 PM

Another key aspect to keeping your hose working correctly is exactly what importwarrior said. Do yourself a favor and put Fire Sleeve on those lines.

1987 Flatty Starion -- Widebody Conversion -- V-Mount Setup --  JDL Tubular Manifold  --  MX-6 Intake -- MS3-Pro -- AEM FPR  --  ARP head studs -- 3" hood exit exhaust -- Hahn Racecraft 16g --  Tial F38 Wastegate -- Tial Q Bov -- Short route piping -- 5 lug & LSD conversion -- Tubular Front End -- Manual Steering Rack Conversion -- Manual Brake Conversion -- Stack Digital Dash -- AEM UEGO -- D2 coilovers -- full GNT poly bushings & mounts -- four 8" rears -- car lightened significantly...  More to come!

Posted Image

Build Thread --->  http://www.starquest...opic=143564&hl=

#10 Fuze

Fuze

AKA @Battlemagnet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,665 posts
  • Interests:Chess Boxing

Posted 04 October 2017 - 07:51 AM

I always use fuel-rated hose as well, rather than heater hose which doesn't hold up as well and is typically softer. I made oil cooler lines with fuel hose that have also worked perfectly for years, PTFE is probably overkill for the oil cooler, the pressure isn't that high. I use PTFE for the ends of brake lines but not really anything else.

Insta = @battlemagnet

Posted Image

#11 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,130 posts

Posted 04 October 2017 - 02:38 PM

thanks for all replys...I cut the SS hose and shoved back into the nut and put it all back together....................does leak at all ..........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users