1st gen mas diagram

idriftnaked707

hey guys i finally decided to do this so i kept track, took pictures and even drew up a diagram. i tried to make it as easy to read as possible for the first timer. All credit for this goes to Tim_C. qithout him i wouldn't of been able to do this upgrade at all.

Thanks tim

first things first, make sure your accordian hose has 2 nipples, if im not mistaken 87 widebodies have these. you will need the extra nipple to relocate the oil seperator. any info on any others that can be used feel free to update me.

Heres the aircan w/ the harness, i decided to use this end of the harness because i needed enough wire to reach the top of the 1st gen mas plug.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/idriftnaked707/IMGA0253.jpg

i cut my harness right around the middle since i will be using it again for smog in the future

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/idriftnaked707/IMGA0254.jpg

this is how a complete 1st gen harness should look like from the back

1 2 3 4

x 5 6 7

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/idriftnaked707/IMGA0252.jpg

i cut the unneccesary wires off for less confusion, the only wires you need

for this is

x 2 3 x

X 5 x 7

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/idriftnaked707/IMGA0255.jpg

when your done connecting the frankenharness should look like this

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/idriftnaked707/IMGA0256.jpg

Here's a diagram that a whipped up, hopefully this helps

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd132/idriftnaked707/1stgenmasconversion-1.jpg

too bad i cant enjoy this until i yank off my oil pan and figure out my damn oil pressure problem. :evil:

anywho enjoy fellas

David

Edited by idriftnaked707

Well, I really wasn't much help. I helped a little with wire colors and functions, but my info was incomplete, and I had no diagram.

Thanks David for going to extra mile to document it for us! 8)

today i fired up the car and my oil pressure was good so i decided to take my 83 out for a test run for the 1st gen mas. i did notice an improvement in acceleration, better idle and and faster throttle response.

the only thing that bothers me besides that mystery oil pressure problem that happens from time to time is that i have a non imtercooled car that is only being allowed 7-8 psi by my stock computer. so first things first

im taking care of that oil pressure problem before anything

i decided to intercool

after the break in is complete i will get myself a fcd (83_project_toy im going to need some info on this one again)

install my 17c setup w/ custom header and d/p

i guess when all that happens (which is soon) it'll be another post

in the meantime ill keep you guys updated on my new problems post on my progress with my oil pressure problem.

tim i really think you do deserve atleast most of the credit for the 1g mas hookup, all your info worked like a charm

thanks

David

one thing i got to get on to you over,,and thats cuting the connector wires off so short , never do that always leave 3/4" or an inch of wire just in case life has one of them "you got to do it over agains" :oops:

now as i understand it this works with out adding any extra wires and or power to the air mass , as was state'd befor

one thing i got to get on to you over,,and thats cuting the connector wires off so short , never do that always leave 3/4" or an inch of wire just in case life has one of them "you got to do it over agains" :oops:

now as i understand it this works with out adding any extra wires and or power to the air mass , as was state'd befor

i agree, but the reason i did it like that is because it was easier for me, on the other hand more than half of my harness from my original mass is still connected to it, trust me i thought about that, but you do have a point.

2 more reasons why i cut them so short is because, 1, i have extra 1g harnesses, 2, so i could post better pictures for everyone that show exactly which wires are not used on the 1g connector.

if anything i was just trying to help not, confuse anyone

my respects

david

zep- i guess this post is ok to ask about my oil pressure problem since i mentioned it, but my oil pressure sending unit is aftermarket that i fitted on, a lot of members here have told me that it wouldn't be accurate and it concerns me, regardless of anything since i really have nothing to do on my days off from work i'm still going to yank off my oil pan just for safe measure and to get that thought out of my head. i am planning however to get an oem replacement sending unit. anyone have the oem part# for it?

matt- my wastegate actually connects to the side of my turbo (compressor side). to be honest with you, ive never messed with my boost guage so i really dont know what vac line is for it.

7-8 PSI without an intercooler is plenty of boost. The ECU does not limit the boost on an '83. That's another good thing about the '83 engine management system.

After you intercool it, then you can raise the boost with no problem.

• 2 weeks later...
hey tim if the ecu doesn't trigger the fuel cut is the the mass or the map on the fire wall that triggers it?

There is no fuel cut on the '83 from my experience, and Shelby's. I have only been up to 12PSI on mine, but Shelby said he was up to 18+ on his with no cut.

There is no fuel cut on the '83 from my experience, and Shelby's. I have only been up to 12PSI on mine, but Shelby said he was up to 18+ on his with no cut.

mine hit fuel cut going with boost ranging from 8psi to 13psi it just depended on what the cars mood was at a given time. it hit hard and violent. replaced the head after it cracked and installed a fcd and never hit fuel cut again.

mine hit fuel cut going with boost ranging from 8psi to 13psi it just depended on what the cars mood was at a given time. it hit hard and violent. replaced the head after it cracked and installed a fcd and never hit fuel cut again.

That is very interesting. I wonder if the date of manufacture has anything to do with it? One of my '83's has the little additional wiring harness on top of the ECU, and one doesn't. I'll have to compare dates. I intercooled the CBRII car, but the other one is still relatively stock, so I don't want to crank the boost up to see where it cuts at.

That is very interesting. I wonder if the date of manufacture has anything to do with it? One of my '83's has the little additional wiring harness on top of the ECU, and one doesn't. I'll have to compare dates. I intercooled the CBRII car, but the other one is still relatively stock, so I don't want to crank the boost up to see where it cuts at.

yea i intercooled mine before playing with the boost. mine was a november of 82 build date. it was the same with 2 different mas's and ecu's.

Gosh, I tried a few times to get a 1G-MAS to work on my '86 with sequential injection. I went by the wiring diagram for '86's, located in FAQ. Didn't work. I don't know why either. I know the MAS works for sure b/c I hooked it up to Fanta's car to check. So why will it work on an older SQ with the same injection set-up but not on mine. Now, for some reason, my car runs absolutely pig rich all the time. It passed emissions today, only because I know the guy. Any suggestions? Sorry don't mean to jack a post, but mang I'm frustrated.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...