Bleeding power steering pump - A working procedure

I tried ATF additive, flushed & tried steering fluid, replaced pump, flushed & bled system. It's ok unless I do an autocross run with it, then it's whining after one run at full boost. Is there a smaller pulley that might eliminate cavatating?

I noticed you said " ...tried steering fluid". You know the manual calls for transmission fluid in the power steering, right? Specifically Dextron or Dextron II. Not sure if change to Dextron is going to eliminate you whining but at least it gets you back to the baseline.

I noticed you said " ...tried steering fluid". You know the manual calls for transmission fluid in the power steering, right? Specifically Destron or Destron II. Not sure if change to Dextron is going to eliminate you whining but at least it gets you back to the baseline.

Ditto

Also how did you bleed the pump? It's gotta be done correctly or it'll have air n it.

I hope you didn't use standard PS fluid....

I have found better success running a hose from the bleeder valve right back into the PS resevoir.

I crack the line open and have the line secured to the resevoir.

I jack the tires up slightly so there is no contact to the ground.

I then follow up with a left to right motion until the PS system is completely bleed.

That always works for me 110% of the time.

Also youmay have issue with that pressure relief valve. You may be over pressurizing the system because of that.

I have never heard of anyone swapping pulleys and don't see a reason to do that. At best that would be a temp bandaid for an underlying problem IMHO.

I crack the line open and have the line secured to the resevoir.

Boosted_One, that is absolutely brilliant. I've wasted so many quarts of ATF bleeding into another container.

This belongs in the FAQ.

I moved it over here...I hope it helps someone someday. :)