#1 MikeMeyerhoff

MikeMeyerhoff

I mod therefore I am

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:07 AM

Recently while trying to diagnose a problem I came to the realization of just how much poor information there was on the stock vacuum line functions.  Even from really knowledgeable guys, it surprised me how far off they were.  All the factory diagrams are pictorial format and somewhat hard to follow because lines cross/hide each other.  The solution was to develop a format where nothing crossed and then it became a whole lot clearer how everything worked.

Posted Image

If I've got something wrong, let me know.  I'd be happy to fix it Posted Image

Mike

Edited by MikeMeyerhoff, 16 May 2013 - 09:57 PM.

Kevlar Bands for Starquest Automatics - $50  Out of Stock  (I Pay $15 for cores)

Posted Image

Rational,  Irrational,  Beerrational.

#2 The Rabbit1

The Rabbit1

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,942 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 12:18 AM

awesome pic. was hoping for the part that shows vacuum pump, heater, boost sensor, cruise.. you know, the forgotten side..  :(
Replaced: vac advance, Delphi injectors, all vac lines, tees and check valves, all brake hoses and pads, Master cylinder, flex plate, torque convertor, T-stat(180), CTS, TPS, both fan switches to primary, rear speakers, door speakers
Overhauled: Distributor, TB, wiper system, electrical ground connections, dash switches, auto seat belt tracks, entire auto trans, entire fuel system, A/C system
Upgraded: 1st gen Mas, HKS bov, Walbro 255lph pump, S16G Turbo and increased boost to 15psi, Aeromotive rrfpr 13105, MSD 8910 Tach adapter, Comp Cams Fireball digital ignition system, 35 watt HID headlights (6000k) 1000w 4ch amp, 100A alternator, engine to chassis to battery ground (4ga), charging wire from Alt to Batt (6ga), 2.5" Catalytic converter, Magnaflow muffler, R134 A/C, Yellow top optima battery
Added: AEM wideband, rail mounted fuel pressure gauge, dual alternator fusible links
Eliminated: Cruise, ABS, Emissions, Vac pump

#3 Metric-man

Metric-man

Stoichiometric

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,000 posts
  • Interests:Astronomy
    Electrical engineering
    Suspensions
    BBQ
    Surfing
    Trucks
    Weather
  • Model:Starion

Posted 10 March 2011 - 04:04 AM

View PostMikeMeyerhoff, on 10 March 2011 - 12:07 AM, said:

Recently while trying to diagnose a problem I came to the realization of just how much poor information there was on the stock vacuum line functions.  Even from really knowledgeable guys, it surprised me how far off they were.  All the factory diagrams are pictorial format and somewhat hard to follow because lines cross/hide each other.  The solution was to develop a format where nothing crossed and then it became a whole lot clearer how everything worked.

Starquest Vacuum Lines

If I've got something wrong, let me know.  I'd be happy to fix it ;)

Mike

That is a great diagram, looks like you did your homework

There really isn't too much wrong with what you wrote, it is pretty much spot on.

I'm sure Indiana will be interested in this and share with us some more knowledge

Everybody will learn from and will want to glean something for this post.

Distributer is the person or business, Distributor is the automotive term.

Charcoal Canister could have more of a description about where is receives it's gas vapors ,
the "Top Port Above Injectors" the words "Above Injectors" is not clear. Is that the fuel return line from the FPR ?

The Secondary Air could explain more about it's function in emissions control,
as: it dilutes the exhausts gases and lowers the temperature to help reduce NOX emissions
(it's functions are similar as an emissions air pump)

The EGR could have the green line a little more contrast to make it more discernible from the blue lines.

A picture of the throttle body ports and their relative locations themselves might help any confusion.
Posted Image

#4 MikeMeyerhoff

MikeMeyerhoff

I mod therefore I am

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,599 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:58 PM

Bump to help with all the recent vac line questions.  I had to reupload the picture since my site is no more.
Kevlar Bands for Starquest Automatics - $50  Out of Stock  (I Pay $15 for cores)

Posted Image

Rational,  Irrational,  Beerrational.

#5 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,919 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 17 May 2013 - 05:43 AM

Very good info!  this should go to the FAQ for sure.

Thanks

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users