Partition software

vbrad511

I know this belongs in the Digital threads but I'm hoping for a quick reply. I've just formatted a 640gb drive and my computer reads it as 124gb. I've used a free partition program before to expand it, but that program's long gone. Anybody have any free fav's they use that are easy to use?

• 4 weeks later...

I know this belongs in the Digital threads but I'm hoping for a quick reply. I've just formatted a 640gb drive and my computer reads it as 124gb. I've used a free partition program before to expand it, but that program's long gone. Anybody have any free fav's they use that are easy to use?

Might sound strange but the best drive tools are on a Linux install disk. Get a free linux distrubition like Mint or Ubuntu from distrowatch.com and burn the image on a CD. Boot off the CD and use the drive tools, you may have to begin an installation but don't worry, the drive tools are the first thing to come up and you can quit after that. The partition management is everything you will want.

Perhaps when the drive was formatted, it's formatted FAT32 or exFAT... Shouldn't it be formatted for NTFS for a 32 bit XP machine? I read there are GB limitations with different file formats...at least this is true for high GB flash media.

Just a thought :)

-N8

• 1 month later...