6 replies to this topic

#1 89fijiquest

89fijiquest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:19 PM

The 89 I bought has the TEP cooling fan relays which I guess is supposed to cause both fans to run.  It looks like it required several wiring mods.  I was wondering if anyone that did that mod still has the installation instructions. Those instructions along with the shop manuals may give me the confidence to undo the mess.

Thanks,
Brian

#2 BuGG

BuGG

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,937 posts
  • Interests:Starquests forever!
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:40 PM

You dont need any additional relays to have the fans come on together.  Simply attach the sensor wire of fan #1 to the lower temp sensor signal wire of fan #2.
Posted Image

#3 89fijiquest

89fijiquest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:48 PM

That's what I figured and would probably do something like that in the future after I untangle the TEP mess I inherited.

#4 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,719 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 29 July 2018 - 08:55 PM

Yes Bugg is correct. I run 2 low temp thermosensors that are wired together and has been flawless.
88 Fiji Blue -Tsi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

JohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

#5 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,165 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 29 July 2018 - 09:25 PM

The easiest way to untangle an aftermarket mess is to look at a stock configuration and eliminate everything "extra" that you have.  For the radiator fans ... there's two thermo-sensors on the bottom of the rad that have a single wire connector going to it.  The fans on the radiator are supplied power with a black round connector on either side of the radiator and clip into the fan connectors.  That's it.  Anything else you have in addition to that, that you may be trying to eliminate you should be able to start cutting out.

That said, how much of the history of the car do you know?  There might be a reason an aftermarket system was installed ... like maybe there was a ECU problem and the fans weren't kicking on and the car was overheating. Just some food for thought.
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#6 mstieg

mstieg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,171 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 06 August 2018 - 01:05 AM

I'd recc replacing as much stock wiring as you can.  Esp. for something as important as cooling.  Can & probably will save your engine from a future electrical gremlin fail.

While driving, we'll never know if fans quit...at best we catch the (hopefully still accurate) temp gauge if it rises.  

As for TEP - screw those overpriced jerkos.  A relay is a relay.  Like paying 4x for a Grade 8 bolt from the dealer vs. Ace Hardware.  Same bolt.

* not a bad idea to wire a switch to the fans & mount on the dash/console somewhere.
Before: 352 rwhp @15psi; MPI: SDS EM5F; Chad intake & equal length header; S256 turbo (56/80comp-64/74ex); 48" of 2.5" IC piping
Now Done:  7.5:1 .35 Wiseco rebuild w/ crank scraper; 274 Magna roller cam & 1.55 rockers; mod port AMC head; 1mm>valves; Innovate WB; GM alt/rewired; 3" 240 alum radiator, elec fans; BMW X5 oil separator exh. crankcase vent; gas tank renewed; D2s; sway/strut bars; LT1 T56 clutch & trans swap w/ Fidanza; 4.22 rear; 265 Kumos on SHP rears; new steering pump/box/lines & coupler fix: http://www.starquest...howtopic=139558; full dash/console rewire - Autometer, push start, etc.
In Progress: breakin & tune
Future: Enjoy driving again; meets & local shows; AC; WG reroute from open vent to exh; Water/Meth?; body/paint

FOR SALE:  Rear Camber plates (basic); NIB beefy U-joints(2); etc.see-->  http://www.starquest...howtopic=133262 Custom 5 gauge overlay panel: http://www.starquest...pic=136703&st=0

#7 89fijiquest

89fijiquest

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 03:47 PM

I was hoping someone in these groups had purchased the kit 'back in the day' and had the instructions to make it easier to reverse engineer. I have the shop manual but not another car to look at.  I'm suprised to see extra relays and extra wires for this kit (and lot's of cutting it looks like) when like everyone says, just wire them together.  With the key in On position, whether running or not both fans on engine side of radiator run.  Looks like fan on other side of radiator is tied into the A/C compressor power and runs anytime the compressor runs.

This is a pic of the relay bracket. You can see 2 bosch relays and some custom wiring. I do still see 2 factory plugs for relays which is hopeful !

Posted Image20180805_192444

Edited by 89fijiquest, 12 August 2018 - 09:32 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users