03CL55AMG

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Interests:cars and more cars, and hot girls
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 25 June 2019 - 09:59 PM

I changed both fans when I built my motor...with higher CFM fans. The primary fan ( closest.to the passenger side ) works good, comes on at about 180degrees...the secondary fan ( closer to the driver side).'was not coming on at all. I did.check my wiring and it looks like it's good..matched up black to black and blue to blue...the  yellow to thermo sensor...I did replace the secondary thermo sensor..now the secondary fan comes on when the key is in the on position and stays on all the time...I'm not sure..any Ideas..
Forged motor, weisco pistons ,3" exhaust, garret 60 cold/ 70 hot turbo, bosch 1000cc injectors. meth kit. chads intake and header. holly EFI stand alone. *DM intercooler. grimspeed boost controler. stock cam.

#2 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts

Posted 25 June 2019 - 10:04 PM

Indiana once said that if the thermo sensors are over tightened then that could damage them.  I know ever once in awhile my fans will be on when cold.  I thought it was a relay though.
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#3 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,995 posts
  • Interests:TSi's & VR4's

Posted 26 June 2019 - 06:24 PM

I ran a jumper wire to both thermosensors so they would come on together. Hasn't failed me yet
88 Fiji Blue -TSi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, SPA fuel regulator, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 04 March 2010 - 10:01 PM, said:

my shaft was big i dont know what your talking about.

<SOS> http://sosmanuals.minagera.org/
<SQ Garage> http://www.starquestgarage.com/

#4 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,025 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 28 June 2019 - 11:57 AM

If the wire the runs to the t-stat is grounded, it will run all of the time providing the key is on.  As stated above, the t-stat could have been over tightened and caused this.   Put in a new t-stat and retry.  If it works, jump the two together for redundancy.   I hate those t-stats, I'd rather tax the alternator and run the fans hot all of the time than trust them.

#5 jinx

jinx

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • Interests:I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Posted 28 June 2019 - 01:03 PM

or u can wire in an aftermarket universal adjustable fan control-relay. I've used Hayden, can't remember other brand
switch whichever fan u want at whatever temperature you'd like (can even trigger via AC compressor)
Fans only run as needed. Loaded alternator increases wear & drag= parasite

#6 03CL55AMG

03CL55AMG

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 08:24 AM

Thanks Kev and Jinx...Kev when you say T-stat, you mean thermo sensor ...correct. mine has 4 wires running from the fan connection to the fan, 1 blue..1 black( both those match the colors on the replacement fans)..another black(ground) and a red wire that hooks to the thermo sensor. so are you saying that the ground wire should not be grounded.
Forged motor, weisco pistons ,3" exhaust, garret 60 cold/ 70 hot turbo, bosch 1000cc injectors. meth kit. chads intake and header. holly EFI stand alone. *DM intercooler. grimspeed boost controler. stock cam.

#7 G54Bstore

G54Bstore

SQC Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,192 posts
  • Interests:making internet warriors cry
  • Model:Starion

Posted 09 July 2019 - 11:10 PM

There's a awesome read on the cooling fan setup on the SOS manual in my signature. Read up it's good stuff.
The simplicity of a character is a natural form of prefound thought.
W18 Rocky White Starion
Hx35 Turbo,T3 Log Header,3inch dp,External Wastegate,Ported Everything.Air Conditioning!
Daily Driver
DIY http://sosmanuals.minagera.org/
Parts http://www.enginemac...ms/conquest.php

#8 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,410 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.

Posted 10 July 2019 - 04:44 PM

Just a thought, via a suggestion from Kev years ago in one of his threads, I took my 2ndary fan and grounded the t-sensor wire so the 2ndary fan is just on all the time - kinda like what you have going on now.   I still have the primary running like stock.  I only drive my car in the summer months when it's hot anyway, so it's been a nice solution for me.  I haven't noticed any alternator or other system issues.  I would like to the Subaru fan blade modification that's documented on this forum at some point, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

EDIT - And yes, Kev meant T-sensor, not T-stat.

Edited by techboy, 10 July 2019 - 04:45 PM.

1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#9 pcristquester

pcristquester

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, Starquests and other unique cars. IPA and IIPA

Posted 10 July 2019 - 06:28 PM

View Posttechboy, on 10 July 2019 - 04:44 PM, said:

Just a thought, via a suggestion from Kev years ago in one of his threads, I took my 2ndary fan and grounded the t-sensor wire so the 2ndary fan is just on all the time - kinda like what you have going on now.   I still have the primary running like stock.  I only drive my car in the summer months when it's hot anyway, so it's been a nice solution for me.  I haven't noticed any alternator or other system issues.  I would like to the Subaru fan blade modification that's documented on this forum at some point, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

EDIT - And yes, Kev meant T-sensor, not T-stat.
i did the subie fan deal for both mine. Pretty simple and no hacking required
Posted Image

#10 03CL55AMG

03CL55AMG

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 14 July 2019 - 05:42 PM

Thanks G54bstore....and you were right that is some good info on our cooling systems...very thorough and helpful. looks like you have many topics covered under that link....I still haven't figured out why the secondary fan is coming on right away. I checked the relays and they were good. I an moving on to other small issues for now....I do want to get the fan issue corrected...but as you know it's been pretty warm lately here in the FL panhandle, so I will not worry about it now.

#11 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,313 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests

Posted 27 July 2019 - 06:12 PM

Stock the passenger fan comes on at about 195 + or - few DEG.

Driver side is set for 212 + or - a few DEG

I just run 2 primary sensors At 195 DEG for  both fans.

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP

Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!

Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

#12 pcristquester

pcristquester

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts
  • Interests:Family, fishing, Starquests and other unique cars. IPA and IIPA

Posted 27 July 2019 - 08:07 PM

I just upgraded my secondary&rsquo;s to OEM from auto&rsquo;s
Posted Image

#13 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,995 posts

Posted 28 July 2019 - 12:17 AM

View Postimportwarrior, on 27 July 2019 - 06:12 PM, said:

Stock the passenger fan comes on at about 195 + or - few DEG.

Driver side is set for 212 + or - a few DEG

I just run 2 primary sensors At 195 DEG for  both fans.
I do the same except one time the driver side fan didn't activate at the same time the other did so I also jumper wired them together for added insurance.
88 Fiji Blue -TSi
Zoom clutch, Fidanza flywheel, Stedebani shifter, KSport coilovers, ST swaybars, abs delete, a/c delete, cruise delete, JVE, BSEK, TEP steel brake lines, LSP braided cooler lines, CX Racing radiator,  MK1 silicone hoses, MK1 pullies, *DM hard pipes & intercooler,14G turbo, ported exh. manifold, MAF Translator, 3.5" GM maf, Turbo XS RFL bov, *DM 3" exhaust, Cusco front strut bar, TEP rear strut bar, Enkei 92's, HKS turbo timer, AEM wideband, AEM boost gauge, AEM oil pressure gauge, SPA fuel regulator, Hallman boost controller
Posted Image

#14 Fuze

Fuze

AKA @Battlemagnet

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts
  • Interests:Chess Boxing

Posted 01 August 2019 - 11:07 AM

Just my .02 I never trust a thermosensor. You find out it's bad when your car overheats.

Insta = @battlemagnet

Posted Image

#15 JSwan

JSwan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Keep the turbo spooled!

Posted 14 August 2019 - 12:21 AM

I agree, sounds like you may have ground shorted (damaged) the t-sensor or maybe copied some fan jumper mods already in place on the car to me.  Could be the wiring configuration, relay or ground short that was on purpose or inherent problem (that is good in this case).  i took a page our of G54B's thread and TexasQuest years ago and ran the two primary fans jumped together off the low temp t-sensor and the higher sensor is jumped to run all three fans (including AC fan) if it ever gets past that temp.  Think a found a t-sensor that trips at 190 and put that on the high side to trip the 3rd AC fan.  Like others, i would rather have fans running sooner than later.  i also swapped to a 180 degree thermostat so everything the car has for cooling happens with between 180-190 degrees with redundancy.   good luck and i'm like you, maybe not worry too much about this and tackle the other smaller things you want to fix now and keep fixing this item on the back burner.
1989 TSI SHP - Upgrades: Marnal NJV Head, Ported/Polished, SS OS Valves, Schneider Springs, 14G TD05H, 1GMAS, Trilogy Injectors, Trilogy FPR, Custom Header by Chad, BS Removal, 2.5" TEP Downpipe/B-Pipe/HKS Exhaust (no cats oops), KDM/101 Hardpipes, HKS Type BOV, BOSCH Red Coil, S&M Strut Bar, Polk Audio.

#16 TexasQuest

TexasQuest

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,995 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:53 PM

I've ran these thermos sensors for YEARS without issues.
https://www.coolcatc...ategory_Code=CS
88 Fiji Blue -TSi
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users