Good afternoon everyone. This car never ceases to let me know how terrible I am at working on cars. 

Have a question on assembling the rear caliper. I am trying to follow Kev’s guide, but it isn’t working.

The seventh picture has the pin and lever and he says push the key towards the bottom of the caliper. Assume that means towards the uninstalled bearing, and away from the bleeder port laterally in the picture, but that does nothing to align the pin to the installed bearing.

I can continue to turn the ‘screw’ portion forever, so I do not think it is still out.  The screw portion that holds the key is in the way of pushing the pin through enough I can’t push down, toward the caliper piston to align the pin.

Any sage advice?

thank you!

hn

On 9/4/2022 at 5:10 PM, Hopeful noob said:

Excellent point. Will do. 

hn

Try here: www.starquestgarage.com  Click on service manuals then click on 1988 . go to group 5 pages 5-54 to 5-57. It might be a little clearer to you on what you have to do.  

Good Luck,

Bill

On 9/4/2022 at 2:45 PM, Hopeful noob said:

The seventh picture has the pin and lever and he says push the key towards the bottom of the caliper. Assume that means towards the uninstalled bearing, and away from the bleeder port laterally in the picture, but that does nothing to align the pin to the installed bearing.

I can continue to turn the ‘screw’ portion forever, so I do not think it is still out.  The screw portion that holds the key is in the way of pushing the pin through enough I can’t push down, toward the caliper piston to align the pin.

Yep, I think you've got the meaning right. Look at picture 10, see how the key is off-center toward the uninstalled bearing? I believe that's what kev means by the bottom of the caliper.

It's been a while since I've done this, but if I recall correctly, you can use the pin as a lever against the key/screw to compress the belleville washers a little bit, which will allow you to get the pin started in the installed bearing. Just be careful you don't gouge the pin/key by pressing them together too aggressively after doing this. Good luck.

Yes, you want to try to slide the key away from the installed bearing (in the direction of the ebrake lever arm.   What you are trying to do is gain enough clearance and 'give' to get that lever arm started in that upper installed bearing.  As obsolete says, you use the ebrake arm as a lever to push the washers a bit as well, but it shouldn't take too much force.      You just need to get it started into the bearing and then get it into the vise and slowly drive it in.  The vise will hold the lever firm and as you spin the vise handle and drive it in,  you can wiggle the caliper assembly slightly so that it starts pushing in.  

It shouldn't be too difficult if you line it up like the photos show.   Make sure the screw, key, and lever are in the proper direction as shown in the photos.  Also make sure you didn't inadvertently switch parts from the other caliper.  Meaning, make sure you have the correct lever arm going into the correct caliper.   

Also, techboy just recently rebuild both of his rear calipers per this technique.  This was just a few weeks back because we talked it over on the phone before he started.   So if you run into more issues, you should try to hit him up for advise too...for he has very recent experience.  

Best of luck.  If you still have issues, snap a few photos and post them here...or on facebook.  

kev

• 2 months later...

Had some work and personal trips, then have been avoiding this. Tried it again, and when I ‘push’ the wedge it just slides right to the end and doesn’t affect the angle of the shaft. 

In trying to upload pictures, what is everyone using for hosting these days? not sure it will help, but there is a chance. 

hn

4 hours ago, Hopeful noob said:

Had some work and personal trips, then have been avoiding this. Tried it again, and when I ‘push’ the wedge it just slides right to the end and doesn’t affect the angle of the shaft. 

In trying to upload pictures, what is everyone using for hosting these days? not sure it will help, but there is a chance. 

hn

I've been using Imgur for years, got a guide here:

Thank you!

So here are a few images of what I see. 

https://imgur.com/a/7bHZUkA

The shaft does not get ‘pushed down’ when the wedge is pushed. I 3d printed some clamps to compress the spring washers in hopes that would give enough space, it did not. In fact most of them broke. Finally I used the arch of the clamp on the shaft and even clamping down on that I could not get the shaft to align with the hole. 

I only took apart the one caliper, so I wouldn’t mix pieces or add too many spring washers to one. Techboy was kind enough to PM me, but unfortunately for me it still hasn’t worked. 

Any advice would be appreciated. 

hn

ETA: on the FSM, pg 5-56 para 20  (4-6) says to screw in the spindle until it rotates freely, then push the spring washers and screw the spindle in with a screwdriver. I have screwed the spindle in until if I turn it, it just aligns the ‘key way’ for the wedge. Is there more screwing in required?

Edited by Hopeful noob