Turbo Poll

Blue

Which Turbo? 20psi  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Like title says, I'm getting a new turbo, 20psi. So what will be most effective and cost efficient?

Yeah, so once I get my new head, cam, and clutch, I need a bigger snail.

Cheers,

James

EDIT: Added 19C and 20G choices

EDIT: Removed 12A and 19C to narrow down choices

EDIT: For clarification, I do not plan to run 20psi daily, but every once in a while. I'm going to go 16-18psi daily.

Edited by 87Blue

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no 20g, 19c or anything else?

Don't really want to go that big. Plus those, IIRC, get much more expensive. As it is, I'm probably going to buy used and just have a rebuild kit on hand. But feel free to recommend different turbo sizes.

Skullz, do you think I should put either of those up there? What ever I get is going to see 16-18psi daily, 20 on the weekends.

Edited by 87Blue

check here

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FP&Product_Code=49178-04600&Category_Code=Turbo-Mitsu

if you buy used make sure you DO NOT get a used ebay turbo, as you cant find exact replacement parts

i have almost 3000 miles on my ebay 20g, before i put the hks exhaust back on i was running 15psi daily

so it depends on your budget, that and you have to get the hotside eitherway

I was told to shy away from the smaller turbos if you are looking for those PSIs (20). I went with a big 16G and I'm planning for 13 to 14.

My decision to go Big 16G was that I found a known good one with a history and it will probably work just fine for me until I get my MPI setup together.

Been running 16psi on my 12A for a while now, and had it at 20 by accident, loved it, and want something that I can do it with more often without worrying that the turbo will go hand grenade on me with.

Been running 16psi on my 12A for a while now, and had it at 20 by accident, loved it, and want something that I can do it with more often without worrying that the turbo will go hand grenade on me with.

you also have to remember, 20psi on a 12a is NOT the sane as 20 psi on a 16g etc

You're not even considering the correct side of the equation. Open up that turbine back to the tailpipe and the 12A will seem like another animal. Driving up boost with exhaust side restrictions just blows motors (and blows).

Scott

i think that a 16g at 16-18 psi would be more than enough to make an avid quest owner happy.

I have a 16G that needs to be rebuilt. Just trying to take into consideration all the options. My 16G was running 14-15psi.

As for a bigger cam, I'm getting a Schneider 284 with an adjustable gear.

You're not even considering the correct side of the equation. Open up that turbine back to the tailpipe and the 12A will seem like another animal. Driving up boost with exhaust side restrictions just blows motors (and blows).

Scott

Have a straight piped 2.5" exhaust that came with the car, I plan on going 3" shortly though.

Look, this poll isn't about my choice in cams, exhaust, or anything else, please keep this thread clean. We can discuss everything else on another thread, later. I will be posting a build thread shortly. But before I do, I kinda need this poll to receive some votes.

Cheers,

James

you also have to remember, 20psi on a 12a is NOT the sane as 20 psi on a 16g etc

so i have the stock 12a turbo what else could i do to get more psi out of it?? buy a boost controller and see if i can turn it up or???

so i have the stock 12a turbo what else could i do to get more psi out of it?? buy a boost controller and see if i can turn it up or???

Exactly what you do. BUT you need a narrowband AT LEAST (preferablly wideband) to make sure you're not leaning out when you turn the boost up. I have bigger injectors, a 1g MAS, etc, plus it was dyno tuned for 15psi on the 16G, but I usually was running 14psi on it just t be safe. 16psi on the 12A kicks pretty hard though, even with my slipping clutch.

Edited by 87Blue

Scott

BOOYAH!!! I was about to go all crazy cakes on this foo but you had to step in all gentleman like.

I voted 12a because your worried about cost efficiency. :rolleyes:

And reliability. :lol: Any bolt on bigger than a 12a i would insist on the td05h turbine. There are a crap load of used 16g's out there and most guys do not know what they have as to turbine or which 16g wheel they have. The 17c is probably best suited to the stock fuel system with no turning. But it is out dated and the 16 g will likly out preform it.

The cam will likely be more trouble than it is worth with these small turbo's and limited tuning devices like the maft.

Every thing has to work together. The cam money would likely be better spent on some thing to tune the car with.

The 19c is a slug and the 20 can move way more air than the stock fuel system can deliver. Anything bigger than a 14g can blow stuff up if you push it to hard to long.

Edited by StarquestRescue

I voted 20G, cause i have one and at 20psi it would go sideways in 2nd gear. And with the bigger turbo youll have room to up grade the rest when you want.This was run with a stock cam and fuel and(as i found out) more exhaust restrictions then you want to know about.

Bottom line,it can work with what you've got.

My brother runs a 16g and its got plenty of pep off the line and still pushing hard in the midrange... My 19c is a bit of sledge hammer, not much down low but when she hits you feel it, from the mid to the high revs... So it depends on your driving style are you a mtn switchback guy go 16g or if you want big grunt power up top go 19c.... however my head and exhaust manifold are now port/polished so my lag should come down some and so will by rpms to hit full boost...

Tell us your mods so we have a better idea on what turbo you will need.. and tell us your driving style too...

Are you looking to go fast quick? Like from stoplight to stoplight. Or are you more concerned with driving on the interstate where you can take more time to wind it out?

Bill

Edited by Caliber308

BOOYAH!!! I was about to go all crazy cakes on this foo but you had to step in all gentleman like.

Look, I will say it ONE MORE TIME, I have a friggin exhaust, and will have a bigger one BEFORE THE TURBO IS INSTALLED. Jesus Christ, you guys are thick headed. As far as cost effieciency, I was asking which one was the best for the money. When I'm putting out 500+ bucks, I knida want to make sure that I'm getting whats right for what I want.

Are you looking to go fast quick? Like from stoplight to stoplight. Or are you more concerned with driving on the interstate where you can take more time to wind it out?

Bill

I want an inbetween turbo that does both balanced. I'm not looking to beat every thing at the stoplights, and I'm not looking to outrun everything on the interstate. I don't want a trailer queen, redlight car, or interstate car. I want something with balance.

Bill

my td06 20g is at 15psi at 1900rpm if i unplug my 7psi wastegate

20g is a complete sled at 7psi, 10psi feels like a 14g @ 15psi, 15psi on the 20g is awesome, 20psi reminds me of take off in my v8 5 speed s10

I want an inbetween turbo that does both balanced. I'm not looking to beat every thing at the stoplights, and I'm not looking to outrun everything on the interstate. I don't want a trailer queen, redlight car, or interstate car. I want something with balance.

Then go for a decent 16g... My brother runs a *DM 3" and a 1g mas... His car is plenty quick at 15lbs