#22 Turbo Cary

Turbo Cary

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 13 January 2021 - 01:39 PM

To get the insert out use a slide hammer with a fork. I'd use a little heat on the crank to break any rust down and it should pop right out.

#23 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,825 posts
  • Interests:80's & 90's turbo charged cars.
  • Model:Starion

Posted 14 January 2021 - 09:39 AM

I pulled a spare dizzy out of one of bins to rebuild like a year ago ... it's still sitting on my work bench.  I really need to do this.  Seeing your photo gives me some motivation.
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#24 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:54 AM

There isn't much to it.   One of the easier things to rebuild on our cars.  Just have to mark the weights and springs to make sure you put them back on in the right location.   Nothing much more than disassembling, cleaning, adding a little grease, and putting it back together.   I usually replace the pickup coil because the o-ring for the cap is integral to the coil. There was a thread on the SOS forum on it, not sure if it is still available.  

I just got a notice that motion industries shipped the oil seal.

edit:  I got a notice that the oil seal shipped and then three hours later it was on the doorstep!    It was only $4.27 shipped!  Not bad at all for an odd ball size oil seal that isn't available anywhere else commercially like fastenal, grainger, etc.     I've always liked using motion-industries for work related items but now they have become a new go to for car parts.

#25 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,222 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted Yesterday, 08:32 AM

The engine is back in!

Posted Image

Went pretty well.  This was the first time I ever installed an engine with the transmission already in the car.   Wasn't a big deal though, it mated pretty easily especially being an automatic.    Still have to couple the flex plate to the torque converter but the engine is bolted to the bell housing and the mounts are bolted to the cross member.    

Also prior to installing it, we rebuilt and installed the distributer.   Ran in to one hick-up this weekend.   A former owner pulled the steering column.  I guess to replace the steering coupler.   He didn't have the column pushed far enough into the steering box.   The clamp was just hanging free on the shaft.   We had to pull the steering column out to reset it.   In the process, I found how this guy half asked everything when he did this the last time.   Many missing/wrong screws & bolts, snapped off plastic for the column covers, etc. etc.    It was a minor setback for the weekend but was annoying to find.  

Well from here on out, it should be pretty easy.   The only problem that I know of that I need to address is the lower bowl of the radiator needs some repair.   Oh I did get the fuel pump installed on the tray but still need to flush the tank and reassemble everything.   That may be next up being that it is the largest part now laying in my garage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users