breakdown of all the turbo numbers ?

pure_insanity

ok, ive been reading about this turbo and that turbo, but i havent a clue as to what all those numbers and letters mean.   ex. 12a, 14g, 16g, 17c etc.   now ive read about a tdo5 exhaust wheel and a tdo6 and a tdo5h wheel.  what does all this mean and how does these different sizes of turbos affect h.p. ?   please break all this down as simple as possible.

12A is stock-320CFM

14G is next-465 CFM

16G flows 505 CFM

17C flows 550 CFM

Super16 flows 550CM

19C flows 550+cfm

18G flows 600 CFM

All of these CFM's are at 15ps.

The "C" wheels spool quicker but are done by 18-20 psi.

The "G" wheels spool a bit slower but flow more at higher rpm's with an 18G good until 25 psi.

Go to www.t-racing.com and click on the quest. He gives a good breakdown of the different turbo's.

he 05 exhayst wheel is stock, the o5h comes in new turbo's from Mitsu like all of the ones mentioned above. It is only slightly larger. The

06 exhaust wheel seems to be the hot setup right now and is usually put into a machined 05 housing. I hope I made things a bit clearer!You'll see that some turbo's flow the same CFM but it is the range at which they do that, the "C" wheels spooling quicker.

All of those letters and numbers together make up the Mitsubishi model number.

The model numbers that are a direct fit on an Eclipse are...

TD05H-14B-6CM2

TD05H-16G-7CM2

The model numbers that are a direct fit on Starion is...

TD05-12A-8CM2

TD05H-14G-8CM2

The TDnn and nCM2 pieces combined together identify the size of the exhaust (aka turbine) housing.

The TDnn and TDnnH pieces identify the size of the exhaust (aka turbine) wheel.

The -12A, -14B, -16G, -17C, and etc. identify the size of the compressor wheel.

• Like 1

You know another good note to add would be the break point for fuel mods.

17C is about as big as you can go to 15 lbs with no additional fuel mods on a 100% working order stock fuel system.

14G is a very very nice upgrade to the stock turbo for someone wanting more power without the worry of other mods. My car did 194hp with 256lbs of torque with a 14G and a 1G MAS the rest stock.

well, i'm going to throw a monkey wrench in here to see if i can get an answer to something which I can't explain

here's is a picture of a turbo that I bought from Chad.  It is a tc06-11a and is seen on the right.  The SMALLER turbo on the left is the stock tc05-12a.  I do not understand why the 11a would have the larger compressor housing.  Can anyone explain?

Here's the link to the pic incase it doesn't appear for you here.  http://www.26liter.us/DUgallery/pictures/tco611avstco512asmall.jpg

http://www.26liter.us/DUgallery/pictures/tco611avstco512asmall.jpg

pen

The fact that it's a TC06 vs. a TC05 would explain the larger compressor housing. The TCXX can/will refer to the compressor housing and can/will refer to the turbine housing/wheel. I included "can" in there because there are cases where you could have an TX05 comp. housing and an TX06 turbine housing matched up or vise versa. The 11a only refers to the size of the wheel ("11") and the blade pattern ("a").

Does that TC06-11a, in fact, have an 06 turbine wheel and housing?

The case is stamped as such so I can only assume, never had it apart.  It came from the Mitsu Race team back in the 80's.

All i really know is that w/ the butt dyno, 5psi on this turbo has more power than 7 psi w/ the stock 12a.

The exhaust housing is larger than stock, which makes sense w/ the 06 wheel.  Meaning that it's an 06 housing instead of an 05 housing bored out for use w/ the larger 06 wheel.  However I still think that fails to explain how or why they would use such a larger compressor housing w/ a mere 11a wheel.  Remember now, these are the original stamps on the housing, not machined and re-numbered.

pen

According to this website the 11a was a turbo available on some(?) '84-'88 1.8L Cordias. So it's not strictly a racing part.

http://www.lmsspeed.com/MitsuTurboUpgrade.htm

I'm sure there is one or more reasons why they chose this turbo. A TC doesn't use an intercooler so maybe the larger compressor housing had, in some way, a cooling effect on the compressed air versus a TC05. More power at lower boost could provide accleration off of slow corners. Bigger exhaust housing causes less restriction which is good if your running WOT during an endurance race.

it's quite a bit larger mark.  Don't have exact numbers because i've never measured it tho.

That site is about the only info I have ever been able to find on the turbo.  Been prolly a year since I did any searching, but only thing i can suppose is that it is not very common.  

They musta had some reason for the design.  Sure doesn't fit the general scheme.

pen

• 7 months later...

Hey there.

The compressor wheel of a TC05-12A-6cm2 has an inducer of approximately

40mm, the exducer is approximately 54mm.

The compressor wheel of a TC06-11A-8cm2 has an inducer of approximately

40m and an exducer of approximately 65mm.

The turbine housing of a TC05-12A-6cm2 has an exducer bore of about 49mm.

The turbine housing of a TC06-11a-8cm2 has an exducer bore of about 58mm.

On Australian Cordias(1.8 litre), those fitted with a TC06 make 110kw(147hp) @ 6000rpm.  

Those fitted with a TC05 make 90kw(120hp) @ 5500 rpm.

I would be interested to know how the specs of your TC05-12A-8cm2 as fitted

to your 2.6 starions compare with the TC05-12A-6cm2 as fitted to our Cordias

and Starions.

ok, wait a sec. im lost again. you guys are talking about a tcxx-#%^.  whats the tC? ive only seen tD.i realize the xx is just a figurative thing, but the c and d are messing with my head. what gives.      grant

Single bearing in the center section of the TCO5 and two bearings in a TD05

http://tinypic.com/24ls2

This illustration may not be the most technically accurate but comparing the design of the two housings (compressor and turbine) the TC05 has a larger compressor opening and a smaller turbine outlet and the TD05 has a more tapered compressor inlet and larger turbine exhaust. Although I have swapped turbine housings between the two models and have not noticed a difference as the illustration suggest.

You can also rotate the compressor housing to point the snail in either direction by loosening the band clamp and re- positioning.

• 1 month later...
well, i'm going to throw a monkey wrench in here to see if i can get an answer to something which I can't explain

here's is a picture of a turbo that I bought from Chad.  It is a tc06-11a and is seen on the right.  The SMALLER turbo on the left is the stock tc05-12a.  I do not understand why the 11a would have the larger compressor housing.  Can anyone explain?

pen

The TC06-11A shown in your picture is the standard factory fittment for Australian 1982-1985 (JA,JB) 2.0 4G63 SOHC Starions. It has the 06 turbine wheel and 8cm2 exhaust housing.

As for Mitsubishi's turbo numbering system who knows the logic there?

See details http://starion.mrbdesign.com.au click on the "turbo" page.

Why you guy's had a smaller turbo on the US 2.6 is beyond me ::) We only got the 2.0 4G63 SOHC.

The 2.0 4G63 SOHC Aussie spec non-intercooled engines are rated at 125kW (167 HP) @ 5500 RPM.

• 2 weeks later...

A/R=area to radius ratio.

The area of any turbine inlet scroll cross section divided by the distance frm the center of the cross section to the center of the shaft. I wish I could do a drawing but may be able to get a reference to he post I got this info from.Mark

• 1 month later...

The turbo that I took out my 87 Quest has some numbers missing. It has 491_8-017_0. On the other side it shows _05-1__. The _'s are blanks. It looks to be OEM.

I would like to show the picture, but I have no web site upload program at this time. Could this be a manf. defect. Or a reman blank? I could e-mail the pic. if needed.