7 replies to this topic

#1 obsolete

obsolete

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 16 April 2020 - 11:05 AM

I know, I know, it's an exercise in futility to glue these brittle old cowl pieces back together, and they will probably just break again...

But for people who have done it, what kind of glue did you use? I have a few kinds of epoxy on hand, and have had good luck with the baking soda and super glue technique on various other plastic pieces.

Does anyone know what they are actually made of? I'm guessing ABS?
Buy the ticket, take the ride.

#2 87redcat

87redcat

10 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,059 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, having the wife tell you its about time you finished MY car...

Posted 16 April 2020 - 12:23 PM

Sand areas and clean with alcohol. I use super glue. After its dried, I also use an accelerator, Sand the back side and use a light weight fiberglass cloth over the crack and soak with super glue. Rub cloth to ensure contact with sanded area. Wear a latex or nitril glove. Lightly sand after completely dry.
Ive never used baking soda, but it should work to fill in gouges and cracks.
To finish, I sand with 220 or 320, alcohol wipe and use one of the black trim paints.
Hope this helps
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#3 obsolete

obsolete

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 03:46 PM

Just finished this repair over the weekend and it came out okay. The one major thing I wish I had done differently is to do the initial gluing on the car to make sure the two pieces go back together flat. I did it on my workbench, and when I went to test fit the repaired cowl on the car, it doesn't sit quite flat, which is going to put more stress on the plastic and probably cause it to crack again...but we'll see. I am thinking I will only install the two outer cowl clips so that if I ever have to remove it again, I won't have to pull up hard in the center where the crack was repaired.

Baking soda is a great accelerator for super glue, it neutralizes the acid solvent that keeps the glue liquid, so sprinkling it on while the glue is wet makes it harden super fast, and yes, it also adds some mass for filling cracks and reinforcing thin pieces. I don't have any fiberglass so I just used some scraps of black polyester fabric soaked in super glue for reinforcement on the back, and I'm very happy with how that worked--thanks for the tip, redcat!

Next step is sanding and paint. I'll post some pictures eventually.

#4 Preludedude

Preludedude

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,394 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 04:09 PM

View Postobsolete, on 20 April 2020 - 03:46 PM, said:

Just finished this repair over the weekend and it came out okay. The one major thing I wish I had done differently is to do the initial gluing on the car to make sure the two pieces go back together flat. I did it on my workbench, and when I went to test fit the repaired cowl on the car, it doesn't sit quite flat, which is going to put more stress on the plastic and probably cause it to crack again...but we'll see. I am thinking I will only install the two outer cowl clips so that if I ever have to remove it again, I won't have to pull up hard in the center where the crack was repaired.

Baking soda is a great accelerator for super glue, it neutralizes the acid solvent that keeps the glue liquid, so sprinkling it on while the glue is wet makes it harden super fast, and yes, it also adds some mass for filling cracks and reinforcing thin pieces. I don't have any fiberglass so I just used some scraps of black polyester fabric soaked in super glue for reinforcement on the back, and I'm very happy with how that worked--thanks for the tip, redcat!

Next step is sanding and paint. I'll post some pictures eventually.

Yes, the wipers should hold the cowls down near the center of the car anyway...I've removed multiple sets of cowls from parts cars, and more were broken while removing, then the other way around....

Its tough on that 35yo sun-dried plastic....

#5 tux

tux

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,507 posts
  • Model:Starion

Posted 20 April 2020 - 07:54 PM

I read somewhere that atf can recondition old plastic, but I haven't tried it

#6 obsolete

obsolete

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 01:22 AM

The plastic that Mitsubushi spec'd for the wiper cowls is just garbage. It doesn't appear to have any fiber reinforcement and is really thin in places. I'm not sure if this driver's side cowl was broken when I bought the car or not, but the first time I discovered it was in the air dryer of a touchless car wash, when half the cowl flew up and hit the windshield, held on by only the weather stripping! I finished the sanding and put on two coats of paint tonight, but Imgur is being flaky for me, so no pictures yet.

I am sure ATF, or any oil really, would soak in and make the plastic shiny and probably soften it a bit, but I'm avoiding anything like that since my weapons of choice for this project are glue and paint.

#7 87redcat

87redcat

10 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,059 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, having the wife tell you its about time you finished MY car...

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:01 AM

Glad I could help. Hope they turn out how you wanted em
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#8 obsolete

obsolete

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 12:03 PM

I didn't do a great job on the paint, so I am sanding them down and trying again. These suck to sand! But I'll get them right eventually. The glue repair turned out nice and I am very happy with how strong it is. May end up using the same trick on some interior plastics.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users