Adjusted the hatch, couple of pics

I had to work on my seatbelt.  While I had the header panel out, I adjusted the hatch.  Here are a couple of pics.

Remove the header panel.  Slide panel toward front of car.  Here is what the backside looks like:

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/4867/hatchcoverbg2.jpg

Two of the four bolts you need to loosen:

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/4894/hatchboltsxc0.jpg

I had my wife push on the hatch to align it so I could tighten the nuts.  Looks much better now.

Jimmy

• Like 1

It takes two people and about 10 minutes.  I've needed to do this for a while and was dreading it, really a piece of cake.  

You may want to have a couple of extra clips handy in case you break any removing the header panel.  There are a total of four.

Jimmy

Jimmy reminded me of something. Does everyone's hatch stick out slightly at the spoiler area (about a quarter inch)? Or is this just mine? Can this adjustment fix it? Thanks

...that's what Jimmy is showing here. It also will correct any rear wiper/defroster trouble you may have experienced.

Yep, all of them do it. I thank you too Jimmy. I too need to do it on all 3 of mine! I wasn't sure how hard it would be, and your pic tells a thousand words.

A picture says a thousand words and we got 2 pics! I've done this on 3 cars so far. I'm not sure everyone wants to dare have their significant other help them with this one, though.  ;)

The easiest time was when I had 2 guys push up the hatch, one on each corner. There was no doubt in my mind it was aligned the first time.

There are rubber pads between the hatch hinge and the roof of the car that might have become somewhat stuck. You'll have to wiggle/shove the hatch a few times to get them to release so the hatch will slide back into position.

• 1 month later...

Becareful not to twist the bolts off. I was doing this a twisted on of the bolts completely off. I have a spare hatch that I'm taking the pieces from to fix it though so no worries for me..... Just wanted to warn ya'll.

Glenn

• 4 years later...

Just a couple of things to add; I did this last week, and found 2 of the bolts that hold the bracket to the roof part loose, along with a leaking rubber gasket.....this explained the leak I had at the rear of the panel on the interior...

Sooo, I made 2 new gaskets out of 1/8 thick rubber, repainted both brackets, re-tightened everything and aligned the hatch.

DON'T tighten the bolts too much if you're tightening the ones that hold the glass.(although those are NOT the ones you use to re-align the hatch)

The PN for the 4 clips that hold the interior roof panel is #MB106585 (2 per pack)

Zack

• Like 1