G54B Transmissions that wont need bodywork

eclipse

Hi

I have searched for answer, but haven't found correct one for starion transmission swap.

Car has about 500hp at the moment, plan is to crank it up to 800hp. That is from the engine.

I managed to broke my original fully restored gearbox yesterday.

There ain't much starions in baltic, so cutting body isnt an option.

Is there any stronger gearboxes that will fit without cutting? Many other cars use bmw 530d 6 speed manual from e39 body.

I also had that plan, to cut off both gearbox bellhousing and weld starion housing to bmw gearbox.

Looking forward for new suggestions.

Maybe the 420G 6spd from the e39 m5, e46 m3, etc. Very strong transmission. I don't know how big it is though. They can usually be had for $700 to $1000. Edited by GINASQ

T56 is a good swap and you can build them to take whatever you throw at them. Adapting it to the stock block is the fun part. IIRC Bill Hincher has a bell housing for that but I can't be sure.

P.S. We would all love to see some dyno sheets from that monster. 800HP is a very tall order

Edited by psu_Crash

T56 is a good swap and you can build them to take whatever you throw at them. Adapting it to the stock block is the fun part. IIRC Bill Hincher has a bell housing for that but I can't be sure.

P.S. We would all love to see some dyno sheets from that monster. 800HP is a very tall order

Bill's is for the LS1 trans, not the LT1. His also uses the stock flywheel and clutch. No way to hold that kind of HP unless double or triple disk clutch. Bill has another bell to fit the 4G63.

I never got interest to make it worth reproducing my 1 off adapter for the 6 speed LT1. Installed and will be running soon w/ T56 clutch on T56 Fidanza fly and stock master & slave adapted to LT1 pull style clutch. Looks like there is still a T56 fly or 2 avail from earlier limited runs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fidanza-161561-Aluminium-Flywheel-Mitsubishi-Starion-1984-1989-2-6L-T56-trans-/190815806746?hash=item2c6d82251a&vxp=mtr

And i think that everyone can understand it wont happen without working gearbox.

Has anyone fitted bmw gearbox by welding starion bellhousing to it?

6 speed seems to be too long. At the moment there is one 900nm e34 550 that is using 3.0d 5 speed gearbox and seems to be holding fine.

I will get that old gearbox out next month and then i can take measurements.