22 replies to this topic

#1 ek4-nitro

ek4-nitro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 18 May 2017 - 03:30 PM

Anyone have a part number for a fuel filter that can be installed just before the fuel pump? One that would have the correct size hose connections and fit between the tank and the pump.

#2 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:58 PM

auto zone........ Duralast #FF3-8DL-3/8..Cut J hose in half install filter and clamp  with hose clamps..........

#3 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Cars .... duh!
  • Model:Starion

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:22 PM

Do some reading on this if you haven't done so already.  There are some that advise against putting an additional filter in at that location.
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#4 G54Bstore

G54Bstore

SQC Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts
  • Interests:making internet warriors cry

Posted 18 May 2017 - 10:00 PM

I used to do that. I like having the strainer on the fuel pickup tube. Your fuel pump will thank you. Gotta have a clean tank.
The simplicity of a character is a natural form of prefound thought.
W18 Rocky White Starion
Hx35 Turbo,T3 Log Header,3inch dp,External Wastegate,Ported Everything.Air Conditioning!
Daily Driver
DIY http://sosmanuals.minagera.org/
Parts http://www.enginemac...ms/conquest.php

#5 ek4-nitro

ek4-nitro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:58 AM

View Postmarkhansenconquest, on 18 May 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

auto zone........ Duralast #FF3-8DL-3/8..Cut J hose in half install filter and clamp  with hose clamps..........
looks like what i'm looking for but isn't our inlet hose 1/2" i.d.?

#6 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,752 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:21 AM

Yes it is a -8 hose.   What is the reason you want to add a filter in this location?   Are you eliminating the oem sock?

It's a suction system, any additional restrictions could have very detrimental consequences.  If you are going to use an aftermarket filter pre-pump, I'd highly suggest using a reputable unit by fuelab or aeromotive;  one that is high flow and rated to catch particles up to 75-100 micron (don't go with a unit capable of a smaller particle size on the pre-pump side!).   The fuelab units come with -AN built in fittings which means your hose needs -AN hose ends.  The Aeromotive and other brands typically have a female -ORB port that requires adapters.   If  you are going to use barbed fittings, the aeromotive is probably better because you can go with a 1/2" barbed to -8 ORB.  

Posted Image

#7 ek4-nitro

ek4-nitro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:39 AM

View PostG54Bstore, on 18 May 2017 - 10:00 PM, said:

I used to do that. I like having the strainer on the fuel pickup tube. Your fuel pump will thank you. Gotta have a clean tank.
tank does have some light rust inside. gonna remove as much as i can but thought the pre-filter might catch some of the finer stuff i don't get out. would probably only use it till i think the tank is clean enough. i do have a new filter in the tank also. should that be removed while i'm using the external one? the duralast filter mentioned above is see through so figure i could moniter it easily enough and change as necessary till i see it starts running clear then i can remove it and put the intank filter back on. did you have any issues when you were running a pre-filter like this? also the factory cone filter in the inlet of the pump will not be used. car has a new a/m stock replacement pump on it.

#8 ek4-nitro

ek4-nitro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:22 AM

View Postkev, on 19 May 2017 - 07:21 AM, said:

Yes it is a -8 hose.   What is the reason you want to add a filter in this location?   Are you eliminating the oem sock?

It's a suction system, any additional restrictions could have very detrimental consequences.  If you are going to use an aftermarket filter pre-pump, I'd highly suggest using a reputable unit by fuelab or aeromotive;  one that is high flow and rated to catch particles up to 75-100 micron (don't go with a unit capable of a smaller particle size on the pre-pump side!).   The fuelab units come with -AN built in fittings which means your hose needs -AN hose ends.  The Aeromotive and other brands typically have a female -ORB port that requires adapters.   If  you are going to use barbed fittings, the aeromotive is probably better because you can go with a 1/2" barbed to -8 ORB.  

Posted Image
Have some rust in tank. Gonna clean out as much as i can. thought maybe a pre-filter might be a good idea till what's left get filters out then i could go back to just the intank filter. thanks for the info, very helpful.

#9 kev

kev

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,752 posts
  • Model:Other

Posted 19 May 2017 - 09:17 AM

Might consider finding a place to restore you fuel tank and eliminate all issues of rust?   Might want to contact techboy here.  He had his tank rebuilt recently.   It was fairly expensive, around $400, but that included shipping if I remember correctly.  They cut the tank in half, address the rust, seal it, re-weld, leak test, and coat the external surfaces.   Lots a suppliers, like por-15, sell that sealer you pour into a tank to coat the rust.  I've never tried it so I can't vouch for its effectiveness.

I've had issues with cavitation in these cars due to the suction setup.  You don't want to starve the engine of fuel.  Focus on making your fuel lines as free flowing as possible.  I personally am more concerned about using a good 10 micron filter after the pump than I am filtering prior to it.  The stock sock does a good job IMHO.

#10 techboy

techboy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,735 posts
  • Interests:Cars .... duh!

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:59 AM

Kev's description of what was done was spot on.

I have a very good frieND who tried to use the POR15 gas tank restore on his Galaxie 500 restore and it flat out didn't work. As a matter of fact he had more of mess on his hands afterward. And, I happen to like POR15 products, but I'd stay away from that one personally. And, the guy I'm talking about is no slouch either. He had a monster Nova at one point, so he knows his way around cars.
1988 Starion ESi-R ... crushed by a tree 10/31/11 - back from the dead 8/2016
1988 Conquest TSi ... current driver - sold to Bigjoe 6/2016
1987 Conquest Flatty ... F/S thread - sold 8/2014
1987 Conquest TSi ... parts car - sold to Coldscrip 12/2011
1999 Eclipse 4G63 ... heavily modified.
Feeback Thread | Motor rebuild thread | Restoration thread

Posted Image

#11 ek4-nitro

ek4-nitro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:54 AM

yeah, i'm familiar with the POR15 tank sealant. i was always afraid of not getting it prepped efficiently and the sealant not adhering everywhere and flaking off. that would be a nightmare. sending it out to have it professionally done(i know it would be best) is not in my budget right now and won't be for awhile. thought maybe if i drove it for awhile with a pre-filter it may eventually clean itself out. of course i would be replacing the pre-filter quite often at first. and i thought filter before the pump would be best on the pump, to keep any rust out of it.

#12 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,888 posts
  • Interests:400+ WHP 450+ WTQ!!... and curves with green eyes

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:24 PM

I used a kit from these guys about 8 years ago
No complaints at all
https://www.kbs-coatings.com
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Ebay To4E 57 Trim (in testing), P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, O-Ringed Block, Schneider 284-H, prepped rods,AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 75# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, Poly Bushings, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
87 Valencia Gold TSI, The new Project
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#13 Bradrock

Bradrock

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • Interests:Guns, metal working, guns, wrenching, guns,wood working, Gold mining, guns & cool cars.

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:29 PM

View Postpsu_Crash, on 19 May 2017 - 06:24 PM, said:

I used a kit from these guys about 8 years ago
No complaints at all
https://www.kbs-coatings.com

I second that emotion. I've used their products for years. No issues yet with tank sealer. But with most old cars & trucks you can now get aftermarket tanks for stupid cheap prices.
Need someone to start stamping some for us.
I would not drop $400.00 for a split & fix unless it was a show car. I'm too cheap. I'd go fuel cell before that.
Run's with scizzor's

#14 ek4-nitro

ek4-nitro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:53 PM

yeah, $400.00 would definitley be a last resort for me. it's not a real heavy rust. i figured if i could get the inside as clean as i can i would just run the pre-filter for awhile to catch anything i don't get out. the pump is new and i figured it would be best to run filter before it. i could temporarily remove the in tank filter and change the pre-filter regularly, or i could run both. i visited the kbs coatings website and that maybe something to consider. i'm kinda afraid i may not get it prepped efficiently and the sealer won't adhere as it should. only resort then would be to send it out for restore. someone in one of the conquest forums somewhere at one time was selling a new fuel pump and pre-filter package. the filter was not real big and had the correct size hose connections on it but the filter part number was never mentioned.

#15 G54Bstore

G54Bstore

SQC Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 10:17 PM

Good pressure washing inside the tank might get it clean enough to run a pre pump filter.
W18 Rocky White Starion
Hx35 Turbo,T3 Log Header,3inch dp,External Wastegate,Ported Everything.Air Conditioning!
Daily Driver

#16 ek4-nitro

ek4-nitro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 07:02 AM

Pressure washing inside is a good idea. I think i'll try that and follow it up with a good rinse with some clean fuel. thanks

#17 G54Bstore

G54Bstore

SQC Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 08:35 AM

Ya I've dealt with alot of rust in my tanks on these cars and old Vans and trucks I've owned. Good pressure washing and use one of those clear filters to monitor how much debris still in the tank after wards is a good idea. Don't give her to much boost till it's all cleaned up. Then you should be Golden. Good luck with it bud.
W18 Rocky White Starion
Daily Driver

#18 ek4-nitro

ek4-nitro

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 10:02 AM

clear filter would be nice but that takes me back to my original question, finding one with 1/2" hose barbs. 3/8" barbs seems to be the norm and can be found everywhere and they don't specify their for high flow applications.

#19 G54Bstore

G54Bstore

SQC Commander

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,032 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 03:53 PM

3/8 in /out  clear plastic filters. They are like $2 -$4 bucks at any auto parts store. Get a couple so you can switch them out on the go imo.
W18 Rocky White Starion
Daily Driver

#20 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 05:08 PM

The J hose is 3/8 ID on one end and the side connected to the pick up tube has to stretch around a pipe that is .470 ...So u can use the duralast filter  that is 3/8 .......If u don't drop the tank and clean ALL the rust ........ u will all ways a have fuel injectors problems.....Clean tank with lime away toilet bowl cleaner (99 cent store gel fomuila 5 bottles)after cleaning lime away out ,,put in WD 40 or light oil to stop the rust from forming before u put tank back in..............
and change all 3 filters

Edited by markhansenconquest, 25 May 2017 - 05:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users