#1 RF600

RF600

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 12 July 2011 - 11:48 PM

I know some people have them but I didn't really see a completed thread. Maybe I missed some threads somewhere.

I know there are a lot of threads about larger brakes. It seems some of them have been forgotten or the authors have not updated them. Does anyone have a working, reasonably priced setup on their car? Reasonably priced I mean wrecking yard calipers and rotors. I can't afford Wilwood parts. Also a master cylinder to use in place of ours. I am going with 18" wheels so I have some room to work with.
If it don`t go, CHROME IT.
"Screw you guys, i`m going home."  Cartman

#2 Blue

Blue

THAT Young'n

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Interests:StarQuests. Guitars. Metallica.

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:08 AM

Lemme know what you find out, RF?

Disclaimer: I know enough to know I don't know nearly enough!

1993 Honda Civic EX Coupe - "Superdaily" CAI, Tanabe exhaust, Skunk2 coilovers, rear strut brace, Drag DR-19s
1984 Dodge Conquest Technica - Going on 1 year since the build started. Mod list is too long to type. :lol:

12:24 AM [Technology] yeah, eventually, and I wish I was reading this for the hair joke.  

Happiness is a click away My Photobucket

My Feedback Thread

#3 Frenchi934

Frenchi934

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,798 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:12 AM

I seem to remember someone using vr4 brakes, a custom bracket, and crown vic rotors

but i know they didnt clear stock wheels (not that you care about that)

other than that the only other successful do it yourself seems to have been maxzillian with his wilwood setup
Posted Image
My 89 QuestNon-oem bomber blue on light buckskin, D2 Coil-overs, Poly bushings, Tim C Screamin' Banshee Cam, Schneider Valve Springs, TD06sl2-18g(billet, revised design w/ extended tips) turbo,  M28 NJV head, 2g DSM MAF, Maf-T Gen2, Racetronix 1008/1680cc injectors, Bosch 044 Fuel Pump, Balance shafts/ ABS eliminated, Turbo Doorhandles, 83 Tails,SHP wheels, full 3" exhaust w/ dynomax straight through & divorced downpipe.
My 88 Quest LS1/T56 Swap, rack and pinion swap. [more to come]
My Starquest Club Feedback link! (post here if you have buyer/seller feedback for me)
My car on Racefriv.com

#4 autotr8er2

autotr8er2

Out of my Cotton Pickin' Mind

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:49 AM

Here is the link Big Brakes
Does anybody offer Lay-away anymore?

#5 RF600

RF600

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 02:15 PM

View Postautotr8er2, on 13 July 2011 - 07:49 AM, said:

Here is the link Big Brakes

I have read through that thread. He found a master cylinder to work for him. Just not one for us in the states. So I would assume that using a 1" master is what is needed to make it work for us????? The 300gt calipers and a 1" master. Can someone verify that please. If the 1" master is the right size has anyone found one that will work for us?

#6 autotr8er2

autotr8er2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:02 PM

is it possible to pick the brains of the wilwood or bear techs?

#7 TsTKl

TsTKl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 01:57 AM

the link above is for 300zx calipers, not 3000gt calipers. it looks like jason says they might be the same, but they might not as well. seriously though you can't really say x master will work with y front brakes, since the rear brakes make up part of the system too. I'd stick with the stock master cylinder as the difference between 15/16 and 1 is very small anyways. any master cylinder will work with any brake set up, its a question of how much travel will be required and how much pressure. even the same front calipers, rear calipers, and master cylinders in a different car can behave differently because of the weight of the car and the changes in tire size etc.

If the 300zx/3000gt does in fact use a 1 inch master cylinder, I'd say your much better off putting the calipers on first and testing it out with the stock master cylinder first than buying something and possibly finding out its too big or small.

I recently went to a tilton engineering pedal assembly / individual master cylinder set up, and they wanted to know what the weight of the car was, what calipers I was using, and a bunch of other detailed information. They have the means to calculate it based on a dynamic evaluation. Since I plan on changing my wheels and all four brakes in the future I told them to just send me the stock size cylinders for now. Coolest thing about these is a rebuild kit is only like 25 bucks.
proof it did run at one point...
Posted Image

#8 RF600

RF600

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 08:51 PM

I had a thought. It seems like a larger master cylinder is needed if you do front and rear upgrades. Is there a reason that our master cylinder couldn't be opened up to the right size and get a rebuild kit for the 3000gt or whatever calipers are used?

#9 Lunacy

Lunacy

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts
  • Interests:Cars
  • Model:Starion

Posted 16 July 2011 - 12:33 AM

That big brake thread is my one. I dont believe the 1" master cylinder is necessary, as the stock one being 15/16" should be adequate providing it is not leaking. Mine was, hence the new 1" one.
My upgrade is relatively inexpensive, as it uses readily available (here) Sumitomo 300zx calipers, and standard new starion discs. The brackets were the most expensive part due to the R&D that went into getting them right.
I also chose to go with decent pads, braided lines and Motul racing fluid too, as mine is a dedicated race car.
Also please remember mine will NOT work with stock wheels unless you use a spacer, although they will most likely with 8" rear wheels on the front (il check when mine arrive)
Im going to look into replicating the brackets at some stage if theres enough interest, to make a brake upgrade easier for the masses who dont have deep pockets (most of us id imagine :)
86 Mitsubishi Starion EX RHD 4g63t DOHC TURBO track special
Posted Image

#10 spoolinturbo

spoolinturbo

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,516 posts
  • Interests:Keep the turbo spooled!

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:44 PM

wilwood and baer are going to tell you to buy a custom kit from them. trade secrets and all.

if u dont have the money for a custom BB setup, i would just upgrade your current rotors with good pads. you will be fine. Oscar the grouch dedicated years to his BB kit that i believe can still be found on horsepowerfreaks.com for around 800 bucks. uses BMW rotors if im not mistaken
1974 vette stingray
1991 3000gt vr4 (2011 autox season starter)
1991 galant vr4
1988 starion fiji SHP (gone)
2006 colorado 4x4
2010 suburban z71 black CIA replica
2012 silverado z71 black
active duty airforce

#11 TsTKl

TsTKl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 01:51 PM

i thought bmws were 5 x 120mm not 5x 4.5"
proof it did run at one point...
Posted Image

#12 spoolinturbo

spoolinturbo

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,516 posts
  • Interests:Keep the turbo spooled!

Posted 16 July 2011 - 02:58 PM

View PostTsTKl, on 16 July 2011 - 01:51 PM, said:

i thought bmws were 5 x 120mm not 5x 4.5"

they were redrilled

http://www.starquest...opic=72897&st=0

u can find them on horsepowerfreaks
1974 vette stingray
1991 3000gt vr4 (2011 autox season starter)
1991 galant vr4
1988 starion fiji SHP (gone)
2006 colorado 4x4
2010 suburban z71 black CIA replica
2012 silverado z71 black
active duty airforce

#13 Convette

Convette

I used to driftjunk

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,980 posts
  • Interests:Going faster

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:08 PM

http://www.starquest...howtopic=119370

#14 RF600

RF600

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 07:26 PM

I'm looking at bigger brakes because of using 18" wheels. I want to make sure I can stop like the car is supposed to. I know that it is not a huge upgrade but the wheels are heavier. I weighed them on a scale. Not a fancy one either. The stock wheels are 32 front and 34 rear. The wheels i'm putting on the car are 45 front and 47 rear. That is quite a bit extra mass to stop. I don't know how to do the equation on that. Am I wrong in thinking I need an upgrade?

#15 autotr8er2

autotr8er2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 18 July 2011 - 10:16 PM

well putting bigger wheels and not bigger brakes will put you into the Donk, Box and Bubble crowd.

#16 RF600

RF600

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 19 July 2011 - 05:17 PM

[quote name='autotr8er2' date='19 July 2011 - 12:16 AM' timestamp='1311045383' post='1189418']
well putting bigger wheels and not bigger brakes will put you into the Donk, Box and Bubble crowd.
[/quote

We should have the mods make a Donk, Box and Bubble forum. Post up your over sized wheels.

The over sized wheels on cars looks awful. Big is good, but bigger is not always better.

#17 TopDawg_43

TopDawg_43

Ignorant Know-It-All

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:35 AM

I used Mustang calipers on my car, with stock rotors.  The pads are much bigger, with lighter dual-piston calipers.  I lost my pics.  I gotta take some more.

To mount, I had to drill one hole, the rest bolted right up.  I did have to mod the lines though.

***UPDATE (5/11/2017)****

I've gotten a few PM's about this upgrade.

I removed those calipers a few years back.  A stock mastercylinder does not have enough negative pressure and will not pull the calipers back in.  Intern, they will not fully release from the rotor.  Took me a few years to figure it out.  I have now gone back to stock calipers.  I wold not advise anybody to make this conversation.

Edited by TopDawg_43, 11 May 2017 - 11:16 AM.

Posted Image

Hated by many, Loved by few, Respected by ALL!!
When we do right nobody remembers, When we do wrong nobody forgets.

#18 RF600

RF600

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 04:06 PM

View PostTopDawg_43, on 21 July 2011 - 09:35 AM, said:

I used Mustang calipers on my car, with stock rotors.  The pads are much bigger, with lighter dual-piston calipers.  I lost my pics.  I gotta take some more.

To mount, I had to drill one hole, the rest bolted right up.  I did have to mod the lines though.

What year? Did you notice any better braking? Did you have a new line made or use an adapter? Or use a mustang line?

#19 JohnnyWadd

JohnnyWadd

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8,936 posts

Posted 13 August 2011 - 03:03 AM

View PostTopDawg_43, on 21 July 2011 - 09:35 AM, said:

me wanna see

#20 TopDawg_43

TopDawg_43

Ignorant Know-It-All

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:24 AM

View PostJohnnyWadd, on 13 August 2011 - 03:03 AM, said:

me wanna see

I gotta take some more pics.  Picturetrail killed my account and I lost all my old pictures.  I already had one member PM me about them.  I will get the pics up this weekend at the latest.
Posted Image

Hated by many, Loved by few, Respected by ALL!!
When we do right nobody remembers, When we do wrong nobody forgets.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users