18 replies to this topic

#1 CWW84Conquest

CWW84Conquest

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:13 PM

I really didnít need this car, but I just had to buy it.  My neighbor bought it new in 84 and has taken good care of it over the years.  The car sat for at least 3 years, but hasnít seen much road at all in its life so far.  Always been garaged and never seen winter.  I have been focused on the fuel system, since it looks like the fuel in the tank degraded over the years and left some serious varnish deposits.  It has been acting like many others have described. Looses power and bucks over 2K RPMs.  I cleaned out the gas tank the best I could without removing the it from the car. The front filter has been replaced and I temporarily added a clear filter between the tank and pump.  Seems to run great for about 20 miles, then acts up.  When it sits for awhile it runs great again, then the cycle repeats.  I noticed that when the power loss starts that the clear filter doesnít show much gas.  I also noticed that the pump doesnít hold pressure very long after it is shutdown.  I thought maybe the clear filter was too large a volume for the fuel pump to respond, so I removed it since it didnít seem like it was getting dirty from any residue left in the tank. I havenít pulled the throttle body yet.  And I havenít checked the fuel pressure at the rail.  No sure how to do that without modifying the car.  I didnít want to do that yet, unless you guys know of a easy way to go.  I was thinking of pulling the tank and replacing the fuel pump and in tank filter.  Do you know if it is necessary to replace the sending unit seal that is sandwiched between the tank and the unit?  Just wondering if they are still available or would I have to make one or get out the RTV.

#2 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 05:36 PM

You will need to look into the tank to see how bad it is.  If it is rusty then there will be problems.  Injectors need to be cleaned along with the injector clips being replaced.   How much did you get the car for?
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

My restoration project: The Missouri Project

#3 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts
  • Interests:all things mechanical

Posted 07 August 2019 - 06:47 PM

Like tsi said in post above. You will contaminate everything if your tank is rusty and have all kinds of fuel related issues. Clean and re seal the tank preferably by professional shop. Replace all filters from tank to injectors. Eliminate the cone inline filter before the pump(not sure if present on 84) but check. Perhaps add larger aftermarket one just for extra insurance right before the pump.If that little UFO saucer dampener after the fuel pump looks rusty? Eliminate it w new line! (Known to leak fuel and catch things on fire)  Basically  all new filters and blow out your lines real good .Install fuel pressure gage on back side of top hat (by the injectors) so you can monitor fuel pressure. Send your injectors out to get tested and cleaned.Do not waste your time driving that car till this is done. You will not be happy.

Dra

Edited by croquest87, 07 August 2019 - 06:59 PM.

#4 87redcat

87redcat

10 years and counting...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,940 posts
  • Interests:Aircraft Mechanic, having the wife tell you its about time you finished MY car...

Posted 07 August 2019 - 07:54 PM

What those guys said...
Also, all this...

http://www.starquest...hp?showforum=56
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

#5 CWW84Conquest

CWW84Conquest

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:20 PM

I plan on dropping the tank for clean and inspect.  I will also install a new pump while the tank is out.  Not familiar with the dampener.  Is that something in the fuel line near the tank?  It does have a cone filter that was somewhat dirty but cleaned up well. Isn’t the cone filter there to prevent large contaminates from getting in the fuel pump?  I’m carb guy so not that familiar with the throttle body yet.  Does the rebuild kit have the replacement injector clips or is that something else I would need to purchase?  Also, fuel gage install at tophat? Does that just screw in or do I have to modify?

The guy was asking 4K for the car but wanted to sell it to me because he knows I take care of my classic cars, so we settled on 2.5K.

#6 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:43 PM

Sweet deal. Post pics.

Injector clips  seperate deal

If you get throttle body rebuild kit  pretty sure comes w injector seals and all  highly recommend replacing them.

Most eliminate that little cone filter and replace it w external filter.

Back of the top hat has a metric set screw that you pull out and tap in that hole for npt to screw your fuel pressure gage in.

Fuel dampener is attached to the fuel pump you can't miss it. And also don't need it.

Edited by croquest87, 07 August 2019 - 08:45 PM.

#7 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:54 PM

I'm not sure you should rebuild the throttle body just yet.  Try the injector clips and clean the injectors.  I had mine sent out to rc engineering.  Also check the vacuum advance that it holds vacuum.  There is a lot to do on a car that is as old as yours.  See my build thread below.
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

#8 CWW84Conquest

CWW84Conquest

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:06 PM

Thanks for the advice.  Pics are posted in my gallery

#9 markhansenconquest

markhansenconquest

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 09:58 PM

Just start rebuielding the TBI and clean ALL the varnish out of tank and lines........don't forget the screens in the TOP HAT............if tank is not too bad .,,,clean tank with LIME-away toiiet bowl cleaner  ( gel formula )and clean with power hose and then dry and spray with WD40 to stop the RUST from forming again....................................DAD on here sells the tank screen................

Edited by markhansenconquest, 07 August 2019 - 09:59 PM.

#10 CWW84Conquest

CWW84Conquest

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 04:05 AM

View Postcroquest87, on 07 August 2019 - 08:43 PM, said:

Sweet deal. Post pics.

Injector clips  seperate deal

If you get throttle body rebuild kit  pretty sure comes w injector seals and all  highly recommend replacing them.

Most eliminate that little cone filter and replace it w external filter.

Back of the top hat has a metric set screw that you pull out and tap in that hole for npt to screw your fuel pressure gage in.

Fuel dampener is attached to the fuel pump you can't miss it. And also don't need it.

So, looking at the parts catalog diagram for the fuel pump and fuel hose connection, it looks like that fuel dampener is also the attachment nut to hold on the banjo fitting.  Is that what you were referring to?  If so what would I use in its place or are you suggesting to use a different fitting on the fuel pump and also replace the fuel hose assembly that attaches to the hard fuel line?

#11 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 06:02 AM

I had local hose shop make me new hose w fittings from pump to the metal line but you should be able to make your own. There are many fittings available all over. Use good quality fittings (no hose clamps and such) its fuel injection so you want something fuel injection quality. They may be able to re use your fitting that attaches to the metal line.Here is one place that offers some of the parts you will need.

http://www.enginemac...ms/conquest.php

Edited by croquest87, 08 August 2019 - 06:09 AM.

#12 CWW84Conquest

CWW84Conquest

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:39 PM

I assume the fittings are metric, yes?

#13 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 02:48 PM

Yes

Edited by croquest87, 08 August 2019 - 02:49 PM.

#14 CWW84Conquest

CWW84Conquest

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 07:40 PM

Can anyone tell me the size of the Oring that is on the flange of the high pressure hose that attaches to the throttle body?  That doesn’t come in a rebuild kit.  The parts catalog just gives a 2 part numbers.

#15 CWW84Conquest

CWW84Conquest

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 04:55 PM

View Posttsi_tom, on 07 August 2019 - 05:36 PM, said:

You will need to look into the tank to see how bad it is.  If it is rusty then there will be problems.  Injectors need to be cleaned along with the injector clips being replaced.   How much did you get the car for?

It looks like I will need to replace the fuel tank.  I looked on line for a new dodge conquest tank, but of course there is none available.  There seems to be a tank for the Starion from a Mitsubishi dealer. Can anyone confirm if the tanks are the same and if anyone has purchased one what the part number is.  The part numbers aren’t the same between dodge and Mitsubishi.  I hate to order a 500 dollar tank and not be used.

#16 tsi_tom

tsi_tom

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,365 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 05:11 PM

Why not post in items wanted first?  I got mine on this site.  Just make sure it is clean before you buy.
Engine
20 over forged pistons
Stock injection system

#17 psu_Crash

psu_Crash

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7,197 posts
  • Interests:400+ WHP 450+ WTQ!!... and curves with green eyes
  • Model:Starion

Posted 16 August 2019 - 05:22 PM

I agree, post up in items wanted. You are sure to find what you need.
Anyways ... WELCOME ABOARD!!!
'86 Starion, MPI with MS2extra, Ebay To4E 57 Trim (in testing), P&P head, OS SS Valves, Wiseco +.030, ARP head/rod, RPW Roller Cam, Crower Rods,AEM H2O/Meth Injection, Mighty Max CAS 4 Direct Fire Wasted Spark, BSE, Tial 38mm, JDL exhaust mani, HKS turbo timer and EVC3, AEM UEGO, 3" DP into 2 1/2" Dual Exhaust, 85# Delphi's, Magna modded by Chad, Accufab FPR, Walbro 255, D2 Coilovers, GNT Poly Bushings and mounts, Autopower 4 point cage, Funk-Lock, LED Tails and Dome ... etc^4
2016-17 SCCA Solo Glen Region Champion in Street Modified. Going for a 3-peat this year ;)
87 Valencia Gold TSI, The new Project
My Feedback Link
Posted Image

#18 CWW84Conquest

CWW84Conquest

• Newbies
  • PipPipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:47 PM

View PostCWW84Conquest, on 15 August 2019 - 04:55 PM, said:

It looks like I will need to replace the fuel tank.  I looked on line for a new dodge conquest tank, but of course there is none available.  There seems to be a tank for the Starion from a Mitsubishi dealer. Can anyone confirm if the tanks are the same and if anyone has purchased one what the part number is.  The part numbers arenít the same between dodge and Mitsubishi.  I hate to order a 500 dollar tank and not be used.
So I brought the tank to a shop and they quoted me a price that was not to my liking, so I decided to do the restoration myself. Only had time to work on this during the weekends.  Probably have 100+ hours in the deal.  But it was successful.  The car runs great!.  Still have to pull the throttlebody for a rebuild and injector cleaning.

#19 croquest87

croquest87

Established Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 06:45 PM

Awesome. Glad you got her up and running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users