#1 corellian corvette

corellian corvette

Members

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 27 September 2016 - 02:04 AM

importwarrior asked me to document the wheel stud repair for the FAQ. (Sorry I don't know how to rotate the pictures - they were uploaded this even though they were right on my computer)

I'm working on a 1988 Conquest.

It's super, super easy. No special tools required, but there is one small hiccup to be aware of.

Tools
- No special tools required. You'll need the appropriate sockets to remove the caliper, pads, caliper bracket and Rotor. Probably a good time for a brake job.
- A wheel stud installation tool is helpful. It's got a bearing to ride on, a groove for the lug-nut and is properly spaced to pull the stud through. A stack of washers, or an oversize bolt may also work. (https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B000ETUD22)
- I would recommend having some body shims around. I will explain why below.

The NAPA PN# for the rear stud is NOE 6411622

Here is the offending busted stud some gorilla cross-threaded, with the brakes removed, and the busted stud rotated forward so I have the most space to knock it out. I was worried that hitting the stud might bend the mounting surface, but a light hit with the hammer and it fell right out.

Attached File  20160924_230801660_iOS (Medium) (Medium).jpg   129.27K   3 downloads

Here is the tricky part. Because of the raised portion of the hub which helps center the Rotor, you're going to have a bit of a problem drawing the stud out straight. There is not a lot of space, so washers, a bolt, or the stud tool are going to sit at an angle and make it tough to get the stud back in. Here's where the fender spacers came in. I had some in my shop, and I shimmed behind the installation tool in order to draw the stud back straight. I hit this with the air tool and it worked great. No friction or heat thanks to the bearing on the installation tool.

Attached File  20160924_231141429_iOS (Medium) (Medium).jpg   161.14K   4 downloads

And here it's back together with new rotor, pad, and I media blasted and painted the caliper bracket. Shiny and new!
Attached File  20160925_222148637_iOS (Medium) (Medium).jpg   177.72K   2 downloads

A pretty easy job, but again I would have a couple shims handy to draw the stud back straight.

Edited by corellian corvette, 27 September 2016 - 02:06 AM.

1988 Conquest TSI
.. and a bunch of other cars

#2 importwarrior

importwarrior

6 Quests and Counting......

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,592 posts
  • Interests:Boost = 2KWIK4U
    Starquests
  • Model:Conquest

Posted 27 September 2016 - 05:02 AM

nice write up!

Thanks !!!

B-71 87 TSI ~ RIP
Black 87 Starion ~ Mess SOLD!!!
Proud New 89 slightly Rusted Fiji Owner !!!

The Ark was built by amateurs , the Titanic was built by Professionals.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users